Allergy Community
Can allergies cause dry, peeling skin?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

The last few weeks my allergies have been acting up worse then ever and for about the last 2 weeks or so my skin (mostly my hands and arms) have been so dry and peeling. Could this be caused by my allergies, and does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make my skin soft again! :) Thanks so much!
Peeling and flaking hands and arms can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid.

Symptoms can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Yes, I have heard of this being an allergic reaction. Maybe some cortisone cream..
Hello and welcome to the community.

Your symptoms sound very similar to my daughter's eczema (of the finger tips).  Low D3 seems to be a factor in hers.  Symptoms begin in late September/early October and last until she is able to get out in the sun in the later spring.  This year we are having a harder time clearing it up though.  She is on a prescription steroid, betamethasone, and Amlactin lotion.  She has tried Eladil in the past, but it didn't work for her.    I am thinking that it is time to take her back to the dermatologist for a change of meds.  :-(  

She always wears gloves when doing any kind of cleaning.  Eliminating exposure to chemicals has helped her.  I personally think it would help her to go fragrance free with her shampoo and conditioner, as chemical fragrances are common allergens.  She won't do that since our house is fragrance free in every other way for my asthma.

It really does need to be diagnosed and treated by a doctor.  Only then will you know what meds to use and other measures to take.  It still might be a trial and error process, so be patient.

God bless.
Thanks I'll definitely have to try it out!
Thank you so much! I hope your daughter is doing better :) I recently started wearing gloves whenever I clean as well, cuz I clean a lot and was also thinking the chemicals could be making it worse! I am changing things here and there and yes you're correct, I just need to be patient! I really appreciate your advice and really hope your daughter gets better soon!!! Thank you and God bless you as well :)