Allergy Community
Can allergy shots weaken my immune system?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Can allergy shots weaken my immune system?  Never associating the two, when I was 19 I started allergy shots and then started getting colds that were impossible to kick.  Exercise was almost sure to induce one of these colds.  Over the years my immune system improved and I was able to exercise again.  

Four weeks ago, at the age 30, I started allergy shots again.  Nine days ago, I went out to shoot baskets and got a cold the next day.  This cold is only getting worse.  I haven't felt like this in years.  Are my allergy shots compromising my immune system?

Allergy shots don’t weaken the immune system.It is the time and again exposure of the body to the allergens and infections that causes a response from the body which weakens the immunity levels. Allergy shots help the body build a type of immunity to specific allergens that eventually can prevent or "block" the allergen from triggering symptoms when you are exposed.So in a way they are useful for the body.

I sincerely hope that helps. Kind rgds and pls do keep me posted in case of any additional queries.

>Allergy shots help the body build a type of immunity to specific allergens...

I was under the understanding that allergies are an overreaction of the immune system to substances that shouldn't require an immune response.  My understanding is that allergy shots don't "build" immunity but lessen the immune response to these substances.  Perhaps my immune response is being lessened to some bacteria or viruses as well.  I realize this doesn't normally happen, but each body is unique.  In a brief phone conversation yesterday with my allergist, she didn't dismiss the possibility.

Allergy injections make me very ill.... never again !
I am currently under going sublingual immunotherapy. It done daily by putting drops under your tongue for 2 minutes so no injections. This is also a much gentler way of immunotherapy.

I started allergy shots about 6 months ago and I am in remission from cancer for four years.  The last two months I am sick all the time so my allergist ran a pneumoccal antibody profile and discovered my immune system is very low.  Now I seem to run an ongoing virus that goes away and comes back weekly.
I have been taking sublingual drops almost two years and am currently recovering from my second bout with pneumonia, first one being within a month of starting the therapy.  I'm beginning to think there may be a connection between allergy immunotherapy and susceptibility to infection.
Ive been taking allergy shots for just over 2 years an I've wondered this myself... It's not colds and viruses that concern me (even though I just had a cold that took 3 weeks to leave my lungs) as much as how much my digestion has been affected... The bulk of your immunity resides in your intestines so this is what made me link my allergy shot with my increasing digestion problems...

Any thoughts or feedback?
I, too, have been experiencing digestion problems which I have noticed since I began allergy shots in July 2012.  In particular, acid reflux, with upper back pain.  What are your symptoms?
I have started allergy shots during the last year.  Since that time, I have had more frequent and more severe colds than ever before.  I asked my doctor, but was told there was no connection.  I can't see why they are NOT connected through the immune system.  If I was told that this is a temporary side effect along the way to desensitize the immune system, I would feel more comfortable with the decision.  Now I don't know what to do.  I am a year into this, but can't afford to keep getting sick.  In the prior 25 years of work I never took a sick day; this year I have taken about 6!
Please see latest research article (Jan 24, 2012) from BRI which states,

"Scientists thought that allergy shots strengthened the part of the immune system which controls the overacting allergic cells," says Dr. Wambre. "But we found instead that the allergy shots cause repeated stimulation to the allergic immune cells and they become worn out and die." This is a very important finding because scientists will use this information to develop better treatments for allergies."

This article seems to imply that immune cells that die are the ones that react to each allergen; however it does not note if other immune cells are mobilized when these target cells are activated.  If that were the case, then it could lead to weakening of those non-targeted immune cells as well which would explain other symptoms cropping up.

https://www.benaroyaresearch.org/news/bri-discovers-how-allergy-shots-influence-immune-system-prevent-allergic-response#.UrhbWvS1ySo