Can hyperthyroidism cause asthma?
I am a young woman recently diagnosed with hyperthyoidism, likely Graves' disease. This disorder has probably been going on for 3-4 years as I have had tremor for that long & I have goiter. I have had resting tachycardia with arrythmia for at least 6 months, and at the same time I developed an intermittent heavy feeling in my chest (at the sternum, and slightly to the right). I was put on propranolol 100mg due to the tachycardia, at which time the chest feeling became constant. It worsens at night with a dry cough and I occasionally get a bit weezy.

I saw my GP who said I have probably developed asthma and she prescribed an inhaler, which has not helped significantly. I find it strangely coincidental that I would develop asthma right when my thyroid disease was worsening, especially when I have had no history at all of respiratory illness/ allergies. Could this be congestive heart failure? Should I ask for a 2nd opinion or a chest x-ray?

Thank you for your feedback.  
Hello aair123

I am sorry to hear about all this.
My suggestion is that you see a cardiologist and an endocrine specialist to manage your problems, as they are beyond the scope of a GP.

You may need a X-Ray and other tests. My feeling is that basically you need an adjustment of medication. A second opinion will be a wise thing to do.

Best

Doctornee

You need to see a specialist at the earliest so that appropriate investigations can be done and so that the cause of your symptoms can be found.

You would need a chest xray and other investigations including blood work.

It would not be possible to help with you without a proper clinical examination and relevant investigations.

Let us know about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I am going through a similar issue myself.  I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism January and started the dry cough 1 month ago.  I am on a beta blocker and because of the dry cough, my GP prescribed me with asthma medications (the Symbicort Turbuhaler).  I hope you feel better soon, and please keep me posted on your findings.

Thanks and Regards.