Allergy Community
Can hyperthyroidism cause asthma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Can hyperthyroidism cause asthma?

I am a young woman recently diagnosed with hyperthyoidism, likely Graves' disease. This disorder has probably been going on for 3-4 years as I have had tremor for that long & I have goiter. I have had resting tachycardia with arrythmia for at least 6 months, and at the same time I developed an intermittent heavy feeling in my chest (at the sternum, and slightly to the right). I was put on propranolol 100mg due to the tachycardia, at which time the chest feeling became constant. It worsens at night with a dry cough and I occasionally get a bit weezy.

I saw my GP who said I have probably developed asthma and she prescribed an inhaler, which has not helped significantly. I find it strangely coincidental that I would develop asthma right when my thyroid disease was worsening, especially when I have had no history at all of respiratory illness/ allergies. Could this be congestive heart failure? Should I ask for a 2nd opinion or a chest x-ray?

Thank you for your feedback.  
Hello aair123

I am sorry to hear about all this.
My suggestion is that you see a cardiologist and an endocrine specialist to manage your problems, as they are beyond the scope of a GP.

You may need a X-Ray and other tests. My feeling is that basically you need an adjustment of medication. A second opinion will be a wise thing to do.

Best

Doctornee

You need to see a specialist at the earliest so that appropriate investigations can be done and so that the cause of your symptoms can be found.

You would need a chest xray and other investigations including blood work.

It would not be possible to help with you without a proper clinical examination and relevant investigations.

Let us know about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I am going through a similar issue myself.  I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism January and started the dry cough 1 month ago.  I am on a beta blocker and because of the dry cough, my GP prescribed me with asthma medications (the Symbicort Turbuhaler).  I hope you feel better soon, and please keep me posted on your findings.

Thanks and Regards.