Allergy Community
Can post nasal drip cause morning nausea?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hello everyone! Well I guess ill start by saying I have been swallowing mucus for awhile, so long I can't remember. Anyways this Thanksgiving I came down with a cold I had it for 8 days on the 7th day I went to the store asking the pharmacist for anything to relieve the pain from my ears she suggested claritin for post nasal drip. I took it for a day and felt better so I stopped taking it. Then December 8th I became very nauseous and could not eat for two days without wanting to throw it up but never actually threw up. I can remember having mucus in my throat while all of this was happening. I went to the emergency room and the dr there prescribed medication for nausea, it hekped. Two days later I notice I have a stuffy nose which I didn't have before. I figured it was because I sleep with the fan on. I am nauseous in the mornings still and have a somewhat decrease in appetite and am constantly swallowing mucus. So my question is can the swallowing mucus cause me to have nausea and or decreased appetite? Thanks!
Try over the counter, MUCINEX DM...EV. 12HRS. It should thin out the mucus. However, it sounds like you have more than "one" problem going on.
I would suggest seeing an ENT DOCTOR to rule out more than mucus.
Good luck.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Infections of the stomach can occur on swallowing sputum. This depends on the type of the infecting organism and the ability of the acid secretions in the stomach to destroy this. Like for e.g. Abdominal Tuberculosis results from swallowing infected sputum. The best option would be to avoid swallowing sputum.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.