Allergy Community
Can't breath through nose, shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have been taking Zyrtec-D and at first it seemed that was working but now I am having more stuffiness. I can't breath through my nose. I have tried nasal sprays to no avail. I have tried other over the counter meds such as Claritin and Tylenol Sinus but none work. I go to bed at night and I am fine for a bit but always wake up at about 4am. I am exhausted and am not getting enough sleep. Off and on I have been having a little shortness of breath. I am not sure if I am combining too much with that as well. I go off and on because I am worried about using nasal spray too many days in a row. I also am plugged up so much that I can't even blow my nose. Nothing comes out! I can feel it drip though in the back of my nose. I went to the doctor and he was going to put me on a nasal spray but he forgot to. I have been on that same one before however and it didn't do anything. I am thinking of seeing an allergist. Just don't know when I can get in one and where and if they are covered under my insurance. I am just worried about breathing and getting sleep. I am at my wits end! Help!

Has a CT scan of the sinuses been done? This could be due to the post nasal drip that occcurs due to post nasal drip associated with sinusitis.

You should try some steam inhalation and saline nasal drops alongwith oral antihistamine medications and see if it helps with your symptoms. What nasal sprays have you been on?

Are you allergic to any specific substances?

It is infact a good idea to consult an allergy specialist and get a clinical evaluation.

You should consult your symptoms if your symptoms still persist. Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Thank you! I did go to my doctor today and they did a breathing test. I was put on Advair once a day. She also put me on the saline nasal spray as well. I am also on claritin as well. I had only been on over the counter nasal sprays for congestion. I was also put on an antibiotic for 14 days for a sinus infection. I still can't breath too well through my nose. I didn't want to take anything else that they didn't tell me I could take for fear of overmedicating myself. So I am still at a loss for my nose but I am sure it will feel better once all the meds kick in. Thanks so much for replying.

Glad the post was of some help.

The medications prescribed would certainly help with your symptoms.

Could you post the pulmonary function test reports here? Were any other investigations done? What does your doctor say about the severity of sinusitis? Has a chest xray been done ? Did your doctor advise a CT scan of your sinuses?

You should continue with the medications as prescribed and then get a review with your doctor.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
There was no mention of a Ct scan but she did want me to see an allergist. I guess they would probably take over from there I am assuming. I don't know what the results exactly were on the pulmonary test. I just know it was done via computer and I had to blow in deeply and then blow out as much as I could which was not all that well. I am taking my meds but last night I woke at 3 am with such a stuffed up nose I couldn't sleep. They want me to do a sleep apnea study but I am sure I don't have that. I am just not sleeping because of this nothing more cause usually I sleep very well. I am not sure I want to do the study. I think its a waste of time. What do you think?
Thanks for everything!
Paula

The sleep apnea study can wait till after you consult your allergy specialist and rule out sinusitis.

Use saline nasal drops just before you sleep alongwith steam inhalation and see if it helps you sleep well at night.

Do you snore? Are you overweight? Do you have day time sleepiness?

Ask your doctor for a copy of the lung function test report and post it to us here.

Let us know what your allergy specialist advises and post us about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Regards.
I am going to call on monday about my reports. I do not snore and I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and have lost 140 pounds. I am still a little overweight but not obese. Most of the extra weight on my is excess skin. So actually I am pretty good. I feel great. I have saline drops but I hadn't used them before bed but I will. I slept so much better last night then I have in along time. I think all of this is working finally. I have monday off and I will schedule an appointment with an allergist.
Paula

It is good to hear that you slept well and lets hope that your symptoms too will gradually respond.

You should discuss all your doubts with the allergy specialist in detail and also post us about what the specialist advises.

Till then you should continue with the medications and also the steam inhalation and saline nasal drops.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Do remember to post us the lung function test report.

Regards.
hi,
   i have the same problem as you do, i went to a ear, nose and throat doctor, i have
   nasal polyps they were making me short of breath plus i have asthma and allergies.
   if the polyps are big enough you can see the polyps up inide of your nose with a
   flashlight. i know how you feel it's awful.i never got my polyps removed i was having
   6 injections done up inside of my nose to shrink them, i feel alot better.  i have sinusitis
   real bad too. i had a ct scan done.  let me know how your test turn out.
                                                            good luck'
                                                               jeanie greenville pa.

Why hasn't your ENT specialist recommended surgical removal of the polyps?

It would help with your symptoms to a great extent.

Regards.
HI,
      MY ENT DOCTOR DID MENTION SURGICAL REMOVAL OF THE POLYPS,
BUT THEY COULD END UP COMING BACK DUE TO THE BAD ALLERGIES I HAVE.
AS LONG AS I CAN CONTROL MY ALLERGIES  WITH ALLERGY SHOTS AND
BENADRYL AND USING NASONEX AND ASTELIN,  I ASK IF THERE WAS ANOTHER
WAY TO TAKE CARE OF THE POLYPS HE SAID HE COULD TRY TO SHRINK THEM
WITH THE LIDOCAINE AND DEXAMETHASONE MIXED TOGETHER, IT DID WORK
FOR ME HAD IT DONE 3 TIMES IN A YEAR. LAST 6 INJECTIONS WAS 11/28/07.
STILL NO PROBLEMS WITH THE POLYPS, I HAVE 3 POLYPS ON EACH SIDE OF MY NOSE. I DO HAVE ASTHMA TOO. I CAN TELL WHEN THE POLYPS ARE
ENLARGE OF HAD THEM FOR YEARS. MY BREATHING HAS BEEN GREAT SO FAR'
I DO USE INHALERS TOO.
                                                                   THANK YOU'

Glad to know that the treatment has helped you.

God bless and take care
I am going to throw this out to you because I am not sure if I am actually getting an accurate diagnosis.  I have been looking at all the symptoms of asthma and I have no cough what so ever. My main symptom when I went in to the doctor was shortness of breath. I also couldn't breath through my nose. Since I have been on antibiotics for my sinus infection that is getting better. I do know that I have allergies and that is better with Claritin. Anyway, the shortness of breath had not greatly improved like I had anticipited even after taken Advair and an inhaler. So it got me thinking. I remember feeling this way after my hysterectomy last year. My iron level was a 9 then. My doctor put me Repliva. I did a search on anemia and came up with shortness of breath as a symptom. Well I took a Repliva last night as I still have some and I feel a little better, not 100% but better. I am due for bloodwork which I plan on getting tomorrow morning. It also matches how my head was feeling. But I do feel I am breathing much better today. Not sure if it would work that fast or not. I am now wondering if I actually have asthma and my low iron would throw off a lung test and I could have been misdiagnosed? I didn't usually have shortness of breath with my allergies until now. What do you think? Lately my doctor is not listening to me and he has been overworked between two offices. I actually saw his nurse practioner last week and not him and she was the one to tell me I have asthma. Now they want me to do a sleep apnea test which I think is ridiculous since he never wanted to do it when I was 278 but does now that I have lost 140? I sleep just fine and am not usually tired at all during the day and I do not snore at all. Its just my allerigies and sinus issue I was there for. What do you think about all of this? Thanks for everything!
Paula

Like i have been saying in my previous posts - the sleep study can wait ; at least for now; especially since you do not have any sympoms.

About you being diagnosed as asthma- could you please post the lung function test
report here?

Anemia can cause shortness of breath - but that is only in a few cases and that too at a very late stage or in case of severe anemia ,with a  very low hemoglobin level.

Regards.

Your sinusitis and sllergy symptoms combined could acuse the symptoms that you are having.

Thanks! I am calling the office this morning and am going to ask about the test report.  I am interested in that test report as well. One thing I have found in common with gastric bypass patients is anemia. My husband had the surgery as well and when he got his blood work done his ferratin level was a 3. He is on iron now. I am just hoping they did not over look something more serious. I will post later if they give me the results of that test today.
Paula

Glad the post was of some help to you.

It is also encouraging when your response is acknowledged.

Keep us posted and do continue with your medication.

Let us know about any other doubts and also post us about yourself.

Regards.
I have an appointment on wednesday with an ENT. I can't wait! I will let you know the results of that appointment. I also have to go pick up the results of my breathing test. I have had some issues at home with a sick family member and haven't picked it up yet.
Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Paula

It feels nice that you are following up on your investigations and also that you are keeping us posted.

This would help us to know about how you are doing, what your doctor advises and will also help otehrs with similar symptoms as yours.

Do continue to update us.

Let us know about how your appointment goes and post us the reports too.

Soory to hear about the illness in the family? Is everything under control now?

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards.
Well my father in law is dying. He is in the final stages of COPD.He has been in ICU since last sunday and should be going to a rehab facility soon if he even makes it that far.  My husband and I have been making arrangements to fly north and rearranging our schedules at work. We just got plane tickets and getting someone to take care of our kids. Luckily I have family here so they will be with their older sister and my parents.
Just had my family visiting as well so its been hecktic to say the least. Life will return to normal soon I hope.
Thanks!
Paula

What is his age? What symptoms is he having?

You could discuss with the doctor about a BIPAP - and if that would help in his case.

Post us about how you are doing and keep us updated.

Regards.
He is 75. Has been sick for awhile.They have used a BIPAP for awhile now. He has pneumonia.They have done all they can at this point. He  will be sent to a rehad facility on monday.  My husband works in gastroenterology as a technician and helps with the procedures. Has done it for almost 12 yrs. Unfortunately over the years he has learned a great deal and knows what to expect. I think its a good thing and a bad thing. Kind of like being psychic and predicting an outcome you can't do anything about. I was a CNA years ago on a floor at the hospital where I worked with COPD patients and it was just sad. I would try to catch my own breath while watching them try and breath. I had lost so many patients. My very first experience with death was not what I expected. She just took her final breath. She had an xray 15 min prior and sitting up. She just laid down and died. She was a DNR so there was nothing to do. Only 62 years old. Family was there and it was unexpected but expected I guess. Anyway, I will let you know my condition after wednesday.
Thank you!
Paula

I am sorry to hear about the ill health of your father and understand what he must be going through.

You should just be there and support him all the way.

I am sure his doctors are doing the best possible to manage his condition.

Let us know if we can help in some way.

Keep us posted.

Regards.
I got my results of my pulmonary function test. His interpretation was : Mild obstructive pulmonary disease involving small airways with improvement after B-agonist (not sure if that is right, hard to read but thats what it looks like)

Result          pred        pre    %Prd         post     %Prd         %Chg

FVC (L)        3.80        2.96     78%         3.02     80%             2%
FEV1 (L)      3.16        1.65     52%         1.94     61%           17%
FEV1/FVC   0.83        0.56     67%         0.64     78%           15%
FEV3 (L)      3.66        2.79     76%         2.66     73%           -5%
FEF3/FVC    0.96        0.94     98%        0.88      92%           -7%
FEF25-75%  3.47        1.13     32%        1.67      48% (obs.)  48%
PEFR (l/s)    6.46        1.58     24%        1.97      30%           25%
VEXT%         ------       21.10    ----           8.28     -----            -61%

Well these are the results of my test. They probably make more sense to you than me. I am still having  alot of shortness of breath even with my inhaler and my advair. I am seeing the Ent on wednesday. I hope he can really help me and give me answers. If you have any other advice or recommendations that I should share with my doctor please let me know. Thanks again for all your support.

You have read the report correctly - also that you should respond to inhaler medications as per te tests reports. Have you reviewed your inhaler technique with your physician?

Are you using a spacer device? It would be best to use one  to take your inhaler medication.

What dose of the medications are you currently on? If the symptoms are still persistent - you could talk to your doctor about prescribing some oral bronchodilators or a short course of 5 - 7 days of oral steroids to help with your symptoms.

Let us know about any other doubts that you have ad do post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
Thank you! I will bring this up on wednesday. I am not using a spacer device. They did go over how I was suppose to use it. I believe I am using it correctly.  I am on Advair 100/50, Proventil HFA 100 metered as needed and Claritin D 24 hour. Just completed antibiotics for 10 days.
Also I have noticed since yesterday that my nose is draining more and there is a slight odor in my nose. Before I just couldn't breath through it and I was using Afrin nose spray to clear it up so I could breath. I tried not to use that too often though cause I know its not good. I do use saline spray as well but I would use it and it would seem to want to come right back out. I have never been so congested in my life.
Anyway, I promise to keep you updated after my appt on wednesday.
Paula

You could try some steam inhalation and warm saline gargles. They should help to some extent with your symptoms.

Do discuss about a short course of oral steroids too with your doctor as this would also help with your symptoms.

Do reconsult with your doctor and let us know what is advised.

Glad that the post was of some help to you.

Let us know about any other doubts that you have and do post us about how you are doing.

Regards.

Me again! Well my visit to the ENT went well. I had an xray done of my nasal passages and that was fine. He inserted some kind of tissue with a decongestant and did some suctioning. He prescibed a nasal spray and prednisone. He told me to continue with everything else and an allergist is going to call me tomorrow to set up an appointment. I will hopefully find out what I am allergic to. Anyway, thanks again for all your help and wonderful suggestions. It made me prepared for todays visit.
Paula

It feels good to hear that even with the limitations of this form of communication we are still able to help you to some extent. Glad to know that the postw as of some help.

It would be advisable to contiue with the prescribed medications - but discontinue the prednisone as and when advised by your doctor - you are not to take it indefinitely. What dose has been prescribed?

Let us know about the appointment with the allergy specialist too.

Regards.

Oh on the prednisone I take 4 the first 2 days, the 3 the next 2 days, then 2 the next 2 days and then 1 the next 2 days. Then I will be done with it. I am worried however cause I have had gastric bypass and hope I absorbed it okay. Last night I slept okay but I didn't feel very good and when I woke up in the middle of the night I had been sweating. The dose is only 10mg, will I gain weight or get a moon face like some side effects I have read about? That worries me cause I am trying to lose weight and I don't want a moon face either. When I saw him yesterday, I did have a slight temp 99.0 and I usually run low. I should hear from the allergist sometime today. I will let you know.
Paula

This is a low dose , short course steroid regimen and should not cause the side effects you are concerned about. They are caused by long term steroid medications.

You should take an antinausea antireflux medication as you might have some symptoms of reflux or heartburn.

Regards.

I am already on protonix because of my gastric bypass. So that should be good. Goodness though I feel really nausea when I first take it. I take it before bed and it was better last night. I forgot to mention that my GYN put me on VagiFem (I had a hysterectomy) and I took my first dose the same day. I think my reaction was caused by the hormones. I am not going to take that though again till I finish this course of prednisone.
The allergist was suppose to call me yesterday and never did. I will give them a call today and find out.
So you don't think I will get those side effects? Its starts out at 40mg and goes to 10mg and so because its not that long I shouldn't get that? Oh thank goodness! I remember when I came out of surgery last year from my hysterectomy and my face was so swollen from all the fluid and I cried cause it looked like I put all my weight back on. I know, I am paranoid! Just never want to got back you know?
Anyway, since I have begun these treatments I am feeling so much better! Relief....finally!
Paula

You can relax - you will not get the side effects that you mention. Like i said in my previous post they are caused by long term steroid medications.

You could take domperidone for tha nausea.

It is good to know that you are doing well.

Keep us posted.

Regards.
Well my allergy testing is on thursday. I have a question though. Since I have been on the prednisone ( I just finished) I have been coughing alot and bring stuff up. Now when I went in before about the shortness of breath I was not coughing, But ever since I have been on the meds and I started coughing I have been able to breath better. How come they would diagnose me with asthma and not do a chest xray. I know I have allergies but I am pretty sure they were worse because I was having other issues, like a cold that made it worse. I called the doctors office the other day to tell them how I still couldn't breath well and that I didn't think the inhaler and advair were working. I gave them my work number and my cell to call me back. Istead they called my home phone when I wasn't there. I was not happy! But since then with the cough I have been okay with the breathing, Anyway, I will let you know what comes of my allergy testing.
Paula

You should definitely ask your doctor to get a chest xray done.

Let us know how the allergy testing goes.

Do let your doctor know about the cough. What colour is the expectoration?

Glad to know that you are feeling a little better symptomatically.

Do keep us posted.

Regards.
Hello!
Well since I last posted I have had allergy testing done. I found out I am allergic to cats, mold, pollen and ragweed. I have 3 cats so I was none too happy about that. I am going to take measures to protect myself. I will be getting allergy shots soon. I haven't had anymore coughing.
However I have been noticing a pattern with my shortness of breath. One of them is when I am bothered by something and I have been under alot of stress. Another is when I am not consistant with my meds like my advair and nose drops.
I did talk to my doctor about my issues and she put me on Lexapro. I think it was for the best. I do however hate hate hate to take meds. I am not a very compliant patient! I have learned not to mess with my asthma meds and keep taking them on time.
So far I am doing okay off and on. Yesterday I didn't do too well with breathing. Had to use my inhaler cause of the fires around here and how hot it was. Today was a good day and no issues. Claritin D however causes me to get less sleep. I try not to take it everyday.Anyway, thanks again!
Paula

You need to be careful about your asthma medications and try to avoid dust, smoke and fumes exposure.

It is good to know that you are better now.

Try to avoid the substances you have documented allergies to , and keep oral antihistamine medications at hand for use in case of a sudden flare up of symptoms.

Do keep us updated.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Great advice I will do that. I am very close to the fires that are going on in Florida and the smoke is aweful so I try to stay inside. I really had a good day today. Life is slowly returning to normal.
Paula
Hey I was having THE same symptoms as you about a month ago and it made me anxious and miserable.  My Dr. told me I have mild asthma that is stirred up by seasonal allergies.  A pulmonologist just put me on an Advair inhaler (which I use with a spacer which works very well), and nasonex nasal spray which also works very well.  Before I got those meds, when I was stuck waiting for my Dr. appt. and miserable...I tried nasal irrigation.  I liked it because it seemed to wash out any pollens and gunk that was up in my nasal cavities.  You could consider trying it just as another thing that could help your symptoms.  I wish you luck!

Good to know that you are doing well now.

It is indeed nice of you to follow up and keep us posted.

Regards.
Thanks, I will try that irrigation. I have heard that its good. Its nice to know I am not alone. Mine was complicated by panic attacks as well. Its not easy. I have never had allergies this bad before. So as you can imagine, I have been going crazy thinking its something else. Now that I have them under control life is getting better! Best of luck to you as well.

How are you doing now?

Do update us on the latest.

Regards.
Well I am having my first allergy shot tomorrow morning. I am still having shortness of breath. Not sure why. I am doing the nasal irrigation as of yesterday.  I really like that. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.
Paula

Are you taking your asthma medications - your inhalers regularly? Are you using a spacer with the inhalers?

It would help to review your inhaler technique once by a medical professional.

Do let us know how the allergy shot goes.

Regards.
Allergy shot went great! No reaction what so ever. I am doing very well. I am breathing so much better. I have been doing nasal irrigation and I swear by that!!! I can't believe the difference in me lately. I hope it continues. My energy levels have been much better as well. It helps that I am not having a hard time breathing as well. Anyway, if anything else changes I will let you know. Again, thanks for all your advice.
Paula

Regards.
im having breathing problem since last 1 year. i cannot breathe through nose properly specially at night when im about to sleep. i wakeup at around 2-3am and my sleep gets disturbed. i got checkup by a doctor but he said that its because of some tension. Now m using nasal drop, i get sound sleep with this bt i cannot use it continuosly. please help.
When there is cold i will not be able to breath very well
What should I try next? My allergy is so bad . I can't breath thru my nose ,seem obstruction 100% .i have to breath thru the mouth. I tried  Allegra d , sudafed , tylenol sinus , NSS drops all didn't help.sometimes it's worst ,my heart rate went up to 130-150 , I almost go to ER because I can't breath, can't talk and palpitation .any emergency drug /method recommendation ?
Thank you.
Tb.
Have you tried to put a little bit of Vicks Vapor rub below your nostrils? It is a simple procedure I use to get my passages open again.