Allergy Community
Cat allergy or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Cat allergy or not?

When I turned 17 I got a major outbreak of atopic dermatitis all over my face, and in the creases of my arms. Anything seemed to make it worse, being outside at summer, same room as a cat/dog/anything with fur, water, detergents, etc. I had atopic dermatitis as a child, but it went away until I I was 17. Around age 20 it calmed down a lot, I am now 22 and I get occassional red patches that quickly go away. Mostly due to detergents or sweat, which i try to avoid. I now have a kitten, and I don't react to it at all. I also seem to be able to lie down in the grass again without breaking out in huge pusfilled rashes all over my face and arms.

Could it be that my original dermatitis at around age 17-20 was caused by over sensitivity to detergents, and by the time I figured all of this out and got my skin nice and balanced I don't react adversely to grass or animals anymore? I've only dared to touch the kitten we have now, but I seem to not react at all, even if I cuddle it with my face.

I still react to detergents and fragrance and things like that, but I was thinking maybe my contact dermatitis to animals was just caused by the fact that my skin was so broken at that time.
Hi, welcome to the forum, you seem to have allergy known as atopic dermatitis and also other strong possibility is irritant dermatitis. This happens when you are exposed to any chemical (detergent, shampoo etc.) or new garments which might have caused irritant dermatitis. If it is present, avoiding these situations is helpful for acute flares as well as for long-term management.

Other forms of treatment are use of anti histamines and corticosteroids against prescription will help to reduce itching of the skin as well as rash.

Sweating is known to cause allergic manifestations in certain individuals and can worsen with concomitant Atopic dermatitis or Contact dermatitis. I suggest you not to be in more contact with animals to avoid further complications. But it is true that now your integrity of the skin is much better. This avoids penetration of the allergens. Hence, incidence of allergy is reducing. Also you need to increase your immunity by regular exercise and healthy food like milk, fruits, and vegetables. Take care and regards.