Celeac Disease Vs. Wheat Allergy?
My granmother has been in and out of hospital with a few  different rare disease's. My problem is, She was just diagnosed with Celiac Sprue disease, but the doctor told her she was only sensitive to wheat. I have read article and books and they all have stated that Celiac Disease is when your body cannot handle GLUTIN, not just wheat but Rye, Barley ect. So I looked up Wheat Allergy, and the side affects of it are pretty drastic and nothing that she has ever had and she has been eating wheat for her whole life. But some of the side effects of Celiac she has had. The Doctor has her thinking that she can eat Rye and other flours that I don't think she should be eating because he said she has Celiac Disease. It is so confusing, I was hoping someone could give me some insight on this. Her Doctor seems like he doesn't know what he is doing...the first time she went in he had her chart mixed up with a completely different person.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Celiac Desease, and Celiac Sprue are slightly different, but I don't remember details of the top of my head. You are right about the Celiac Disease diet though. She should cut all Gluten if she really has Celiac disease. This is  wheat, barley, rye, and also oats because they're processed on wheat equipment, and are covered in gluten as a result. Other things that must be avoided are modified food starch, "natural flavor", and malt or malt flavor. Most of these are derived from wheat. You'll find it in really odd things too, like sour cream or popsicles. She probably needs to see a gastro. Dr, and a nutritionist. good luck. Go to Celiac.com for good info too.