Allergy Community
Celeac Disease Vs. Wheat Allergy?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Celeac Disease Vs. Wheat Allergy?

My granmother has been in and out of hospital with a few  different rare disease's. My problem is, She was just diagnosed with Celiac Sprue disease, but the doctor told her she was only sensitive to wheat. I have read article and books and they all have stated that Celiac Disease is when your body cannot handle GLUTIN, not just wheat but Rye, Barley ect. So I looked up Wheat Allergy, and the side affects of it are pretty drastic and nothing that she has ever had and she has been eating wheat for her whole life. But some of the side effects of Celiac she has had. The Doctor has her thinking that she can eat Rye and other flours that I don't think she should be eating because he said she has Celiac Disease. It is so confusing, I was hoping someone could give me some insight on this. Her Doctor seems like he doesn't know what he is doing...the first time she went in he had her chart mixed up with a completely different person.
Thanks for taking the time to read.