Allergy Community
Chest Pains After Drinking Alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chest Pains After Drinking Alcohol

I'm a 17 year old female who ocassionally drinks and ususally when I do I drink fairly heavy. I drank 2 days ago and since the day after that, I've had chest pains. Every few minutes it feels like something in running up my chest and thats it, but for a day now its turned into burps that really hurt.
Hi, according to your history, chest pain strongly suggests acid reflux, gastritis or peptic ulcer disease, provided cardiac causes are ruled out with the help of ECG, and it is exacerbated by alcohol intake. You should stop taking spicy food, vinegar, alcohol, cigarette smoking if present.
A 24hrs gastric pH and urease breath test with upper GI endoscopy will help to substantiate diagnosis.
Antacids and proton pump inhibitors will reduce the acidity for which consult a physician.
Another possibility would be musculoskeletal pain which is due to repetitive or unaccustomed activity involving the upper trunk or arms or sleeping in abnormal posture.
Aortic dissection can also present as chest pain with no cardiac abnormalities, in such cases aortography or noninvasive techniques including CT scanning, magnetic resonance imaging, and transesophageal echocardiography will be quite helpful. Another important cause is Stress-induced cardiomyopathy, which can be seen in women of your age due to emotional stress followed by exaggerated sympathetic stimulation.
In Esophageal hyperalgesia there is lower threshold of pain to distention. To diagnose this condition a balloon catheter can be passed and dilated, if there is pain then it will be conclusive esophageal hyperalgesia.
Along with above mentioned causes there should be thorough examination of chest by radio imaging to rule out lung disease, mediastinal tumors or inflammation. There is nothing serious to worry about and you need to relax. Spend some active time with recreational activities. Yoga and meditation too can help to build up the threshold to pain. I suggest you to consult physician and discuss regarding above causes. Take care and regards.

I have been dealing to this problem already one year.Every time i go to a doctor about this problem they think it is my anxiety,and i can assure you it is not.Here is whats happening to me.I am 38 years old and every time i drink alcohol it is next day that i experience problem.I start feeling very weird,it starts right under the rib cage in the center and feels like my heart will stop.then my chest gets tight with hard heart beats,but when i check heart beat it is around 70 beats per minut.then i feel little bit breathing problem.but man problem is that under the rib cage because it starts from there.then my head gets litle bit dizzy,my legs muscles start getting crampy.Please help me with this because it only happens after i drink alcohol next day.i am not have alcoholic and i  only get to drink with my friends on weekends.Thank you