Allergy Community
Chicken Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chicken Allergy

My daughter eats chicken almost every day. All of a sudden she is breaking out with a itchy rash. Can she become allergic to poultry this sudden or should I be concerned something else is going on? Turkey has the same effect.

She could have developed an allergy to these substances. Try stopping or removing these substances from her diet and see if it helps.

For her symptoms, you should keep oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications handy. She could be allergic to other foods also.

Also, it would be advisable to consult an allergy specailsit about her symptoms and see what can be done.

What other symptoms does she have on eating these foods?

Let us know how she is doinga nd if you have any other doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Hi tam,
I have had an allergy to poultry (chicken, turkey, duck) my entire life, but my mom has always sworn up and down that she fed it to me when I was little.   So I would say yes.   And allergies in general can come and go throughout a persons life.    I am now allergic to ragweed in the fall, and never had a problem before the age of 25.  
I have only met or heard about 1 other person in my life that's allergice to poultry, so it's pretty rare, but it's definitely not my imagination.   Chicken broth gets me and that's often used as a flavor enhancer where you won't know it's there until you eat some.  This seems especially true in chinese and mexican restaurants.
I talked to an allergist once who said this was a "protein" allergy like many other common food allergies - not very helpful, but I guess that was a way of saying it's nothing special to be worried about as long as it's not life threatening.   Which in my case it is not.  I can usually tell about 5 minutes after I get some in my system because my mouth starts itching.  My other symtoms (symptoms) (depends on the amount I eat) can include tightening of my throat to where it's hard to swallow (breathing is fine) and vomiting if I've really eaten a lot which I've only had twice in my life.  I've never needed anything stronger than one or two benedryl to take care of it.  
Oh, and oddly enough, I love eggs and still eat them all the time with no problems.  Go figure.   Hope your daughters doing great, but watch the chicken!