Allergy Community
Children coughing up clear plem and chocking on it

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

My 4 year old hac strep 1 week ago and was given omnicef for this. Her throat is now better but she coughs all the time and gets choked on clear plem she throws up everything she eats. My  7 year old now has the same cough but did not test postive for strep. They have been put on cough meds with codine and sure it knocks them out but does not help the cough. Its like the phlem is getting hung in their throuts and they can not get it out. Are we doing all we can do or what?
Robitusin (or the like) Guaifenesin syrup will help thin mucus/congestion. Thus, should help them cough up their phlegm more easily. I don't know about contraindictions and would be reluctant to ever give a child 2 medicines at a time unless they are appropriate together. Ask your pharmacist, first. He/she should be more than happy to tell you...and the information will be accurate AND free.
P.S. it is better to be able to cough up the gunk (if you know it's there and obviously is), then supress it. Hence, the Guaifenesin *expectorant* suggestion.
Hi there, I also having 3 children the youngest is now 5 but I of course have had horrible experiences with colds flu's and 1 child born with asthma, so I have had alot of experience in this department. In the last few years they have come to find in numerous studies that the cough medicine we can buy over the counter is pretty much useless, I would seriously stay away from it, my finding is that it did not help with the coughing and primarily just made them feel ickey. I can't stand it either especially when you don't feel well. The cough can last for up to a month with or without any medicine, that is just the bodies way of ridding the virus. The cough is always the last to stay around, just make sure they wash there hands frequently, cover there mouths, and keep anti-bacterial wipes with you for when you go out. Try to stay away from dairy they don't help with the mucus consumption. And just give them lots of water even juices, ice chips or cubes to munch on. Soup is excellent for the mucus, and just allow her to bring it up whenever she feels she needs to. Staying hydrated is hard as a kid so you are going to have to help her in that way, Popsicles all the time!!!! and just let them know this is temporary until they feel better.But all the liquid should also help with the mucus. Just watch for fevers or a change in behavior or eating habits that means it might have turned into something else in there lungs, not uncommon for that to happen especially in a really small child. Hope I've been of help.
Oh one more thing, I was told by my pedi that Childrens Advil or Motrin, I've had better luck with Advil, helps in the sense that it reduces inflamation (inflammation) everywhere in our bodies, you know whereever is needed at the time that you don't feel well. So maybe instead of the cough med's give Advil throughout the day.I also gave my children the codine medicine, and for a few years when my son was 2 and 3 and was in full effect of his asthma we used that regularly just to get through the nights, but luckely he grew out of it. The whole codine narrcotic thing is a bad idea for a long period of time, even if you give to them at bed, the next day they probaley will not feel like themselves because of the aftereffects of them. I always used Vicks vapo-rub with my kids when there sick and still do, just lather it on all the way up to there necks on there necks and tell them to suck it up, that stuff is amazing. Bye for now....