Allergy Community
Chlorine Allergy and ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chlorine Allergy and ADHD

My son has ADHD.  We have been successfully treating it with medication for 6 yrs now.  A therapist recently said that ADHD has been proven to actually be an allergy to chlorine.  I have tried researching this online but have not found anything that supports this.  I have read where drinking filtered water that has removed the chlorine is helpful but this is the closest I have found online that ADHD might actually be an allergy to chlorine.
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder, affecting about 3-5% of the world's population under the age of 19.It typically presents itself during childhood, and is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity, as well as forgetfulness, poor impulse control or impulsivity, and distractibility. ADHD is currently considered to be a persistent and chronic condition for which no medical cure is available, although medication can be prescribed.The estimated contribution of non genetic factors to the contribution of all cases of ADHD is 20 percent.
In 1982, the NIH had determined, based on research available at that time, that roughly 5% of children with ADHD could be helped significantly by removing additives from their diet. The vast majority of these children were believed to have food allergies.  More recent studies have shown that approximately 60-70% of children with and without allergies improve when additives are removed from their diet, that up to almost 90% of them react when an appropriate amount of additive is used as a challenge in double blind tests,and that food additives may elicit hyperactive behavior and/or irritability in normal children as well.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-deficit_hyperactivity_disorder
The role of chlorine may be a part of chemicals that trigger of food allergies and consequently produce the hyper-active behaviour.

adhd is prolaby jus a normal thing for kids to have what with alll the chloriune and all in the foods that the goverment is hifing from us in this day and age