The last three times I have gone to the pool to exercise lightly, I have gotten sick to my stomach and had diiarrhea after about one-half hour of time in the pool. I have not eaten within several hours of going to the pool. I am not on any heavy medications. I do not have asthma. Is there an explanation and could I possible have an intolerance/allergy to chlorine in the pool?
Perhaps, if it's a public swimming pool, it might be an infecton from E. coli It is a bacteria, which could be present in public pools. And if you had swallowed the pool water, then there is a possibility of infection.
Yes its possible that you could be allergic to chlorine. The only way to tell for sure tho is to see a doctor and have them run tests. It could also be just that your swallowing the water and chlorine just isn't meant to be ingested. a little is fine, but you should watch out for how much you getting in your nose and mouth. Also, is the pool heated? I find that if I'm in a warm pool too long (yes a half hour is still a long time in this case) that i feel sick after. i would definitely speak with a doctor tho.
There is a such thing as chlorine poisoning. If you inhale or ingest too much chlorine it can cause these symptoms. It is possible that the pool is using too much chlorine due to all of the people in the pool. You might want to avoid that pool and try to find another who doesnt use as much chlorine. Some pools now use Bacquicil that has no smell and will not irritate your skin or anything else, it is very easy on the body. You can also find pools who use no chemicals at all, just random household items that work just as well and should have little or no effect on you. If you are concerned, you should see your doctor to check the chlorine levels in your body. If they are high, I would submit those results to the owner of the pool and let him/her know that if you are getting sick there are probably many more who are getting sick as well, and maybe it will convince them to start using the proper amount of chlorine. I hope this helps. Good luck and I hope things get better soon.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.