Allergy Community
Chronic Coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chronic Coughing

Hello, I am 32 years old male and have had a cough for a 2-3 years now. I don't know what started it, what changed to start it., or why it happens. I am tired of coughing all the time and am sure the people around me are tired of hearing it. I went to a doctor who tested me or allergies and said I am allergic to nothing. She did a chest xray which came back clear as well. I have constant sinus drainage and my cough usually gets me gasping for breath when I laugh...odd I know. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
I would recommend you discus acid reflux with your doctor.  There is a type of acid reflux (larygealpharyngeal reflux) that does not cause the typical acid reflux symptoms of heart burn.  The acid refluxes higher into the laryngx, pharynx and even the sinuses where it can cause laryngitis, sinus infections, and chronic cough along with a number of other issues.

There are many other causes of chronic cough to investigate, but after allergies acid reflux is one of the leading causes.

You could also try OTC reflux meds to see if the help at all.  A proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole would be a good place to start.  You can also try H2 blockers like Pepcid.

Feel better.
Hi, welcome to the forum, the main possibility seems to be sinus inflammation may be allergic or infective. There may be bacterial or fungal colonization. You may have to undergo endoscopic aspiration for culture and sinus radio imaging for appropriate diagnosis. The sinus drainage may be trickling down the throat and causing throat irritation and cough. Measures to treat sinus problems are

- Mechanical irrigation with buffered, hypertonic saline nasal spray.
- Topical glucocorticoids (corticosteroids) or nasal spray.
- Topical decongestants, such as oxymetazoline for short term only.
- Antihistamines will cause a drying effect and helps to relieve symptoms.
- Antibiotics if bacterial infection suspected.

The other possible causes of chronic cough are Gastroesophageal reflux, Laryngopharyngeal reflux, Respiratory tract infection, chronic bronchitis, Bronchiectasis, etc.

Chest radiography and Computed tomography, respiratory function tests as well as Arterial blood gases is important to rule out the pulmonary involvement. Short or long-acting bronchodilators like Beta agonists or Anticholinergics with or without inhaled glucocorticoids against prescription will help a lot. I suggest you to consult physician. Take care and regards.
hi,

i have undergone a turbinoctomy to remove some turbinates off my right nostril around 3 months ago and i'm suffering from chronic cough ever since i woke up from the Anesthesia. My nose got hypersensitive, i've seen few doctors who uttered it's just an irritation and it should go away anytime soon but in vain.

Does anyone of you have any idea on what is this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Chronic cough is typically defined as a cough that persists for longer than 8 weeks. This is usually a symptom and not a disease. This could be due to post nasal drip which is mucus accumulation in the back of the nose and throat, excessive or thick secretions, or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat. Try to avoid the nasal irritants such as cigarette smoke, perfume, aerosol sprays, smoke, smog and car exhaust. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.