Allergy Community
Chronic Hives Getting Worse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chronic Hives Getting Worse

I have had chronic hives since for about a year. I have tried heavy doses of steriods, methotrexate, doxepin, hydroxizine, benedryl, zantac (h2 inhibitors) cryoheptine, allegra, clarian and some topical steroid creams. Currently I am on 100 mg of hydroxizine twice a day, 100 mg of cyclosporine twice a day and benedryl as needed however my hives have been getting worse. I have also started to get angioedema which is new around my face. I get hives from any time of firm pressure on my skin.  I broke out everywhere for the allergy prick test. My allergist says that these hives are all related to my antithyroid hormones. My vit D level is fine which I'm told could cause it. I'm at a loss at what to do next. Any suggestions?
In most of the cases of chronic urticaria, the underlying pathology is idiopathic i.e it is not linked to any cause. It is essential to rule out the presence of serious illnesses of which recurring hives can be a symptom. Examples are hepatitis, hyperthyroidism, lymphomas, collagen vascular diseases, and cancers of the rectum, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract.
I feel that you should find out the cause of your chronic urticaria by ruling out the various conditions causing it.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.