Allergy Community
Chronic Hives..driving me nuts!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-204 comments:
Woaahh have you tried stress reduction??  I never said those were the only two possibilities, just two potential causes that can be easily tested and corrected.  Isn't that what this forum is for to offer advice on things that we may have experienced, are experiencing, or have knowledge about?
haha, sorry.  the entire statement was not really directed towards you.  I just get so crazy when it comes to the united states and the medical system, especially prescription drugs.  forgive my heated response, it was more to say that drs should not limit themselves to the protocol and perhaps do some research on their own if they really cared about helping a patient.  They don't have to really think about diagnosing a patient.  They say "hmmmmm, the patient has this, this and this".....so protocol says it is this, this or this; we will give them RX...that should cover (literally) the problem.  Which in turn produces another problem!!!!!  Your comments are of course appreciated by all I am sure.  :)  I like to share my thoughts as well.  
No problem, I agree totally.  It would be nice if your doctor cared as much about you as you do and wanted to fix the cause instead of treating the symptoms; but then how would he/she be able to afford 3 vacation homes??  Not all are like that, but I firmly believe that you better arm yourself with knowledge and take matters into your own hands when you can because you have the most at stake.
well said.  :)  and good advice
How about trying Xyzal?
It's available on prescription in the USA since may 2008.
http://www.xyzal.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyzal
Or what about these products?
http://www.hivotin.com
http://hivotab.com
Check this out about food-allergy:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/377371
I tend to not believe much in homeopathy but my chemistry teacher at school
claimed that his son was cured from eczema by homeopathic Natrium Muriaticum
internally taken and highly potentiated(diluted) so no or hardly any actual molecules were present in the medicin (just the energy), supposed to be most potent that way.
I'd rather try homeopathic and risk it not working over a prescription.  Your liver and kidneys will love you for it too.  I have taken homeopathic remedies for numerous things and have seen improvements in seasonal allergies, asthma and common colds.  I am also trying something now for habitual miscarriage that is just a base of one cell salt.  :)  
You seem to know a lot about this.  I have chronic burning sensations in my legs.  This feeling varies but is usually around a 5/10.  I had it for nearly 2 years after having sex with an ex gf.  I don't have an STD but it went away for nearly 5 months.  After being with a different girl, it came back and has yet to go away and I feel the same symptoms again.  I've tried creams/moisturizers and antihistamines but nothing really seems to make it go away.  I have no clue why it went away for 5 months.  The only difference was that I took Doxycycline after having a Urinary Tract Infection and it went away after.  I tried taking it again, but it didn't work this time.  I don't really know waht to do.  Im seeing an allergist soon but it seems hopeless because I don't think im allergic to things.  Any recommendations?
I too suffer from chronic hives.  I think some type of yeast or fungus infection, such as Candida, is a strong possibility as a root cause for the hives.  I'm thinking about trying a natural product called, Candidol.  Has anyone heard of this product or have tried it?  It's' suppose to be the best product for eliminating yeast/fungus from your body and with no side effects.  Here's the link to their website:

http://www.micronutra.com/candidol.html?ad=%5Bcandida%5D_gs&s_kwcid=candida|1385962656?
I am on the candidol at the moment and have been for about 3 months. I have noticed no noticable improvement with my chronic hives. If anything they are more frequent and painful. Not to discourage you because everyone is different but i didn't feel it helped the hives at all.
Hey everyone :)
I finally saw an allergist last week and they are sending me for a complete blood work testing.  Checking thyroid, liver, kidneys, lupus etc etc.  I drove a wonder 1.5 hours to see him... I was there for no more than half an hour!  How much do these 'specialists' get paid??!!
I am a firm believer in trying natural remedies first.  I have been doing alot of reading and I came across Quercetin.  For Quercetin to be absorbed correctly into the body you should be having Bromelain plus Vitamin C.  Bromelain and Quercetin are synergists, and should be taken in conjunction to enhance absorption. She recommends Activated Quercetin from Source Naturals to be extremely good.
Plus researchers have revealed that supplemental coenzyme Q10 has the ability to counter histamine as well.... Worth a look into considering it is great for your heart too :)
Further more, I read a book called The Anxiety Epidemic and it states in that book, low levels of magnesium and an essential amino acid called Methionine can increase histamine levels.  Monday I will be having all my blood tests and checking my amino acids too.
My allergist stated that only 10% find out what the cause is... I will keep trying everything I can to find out what is going on in my body.  I don't just except his statement... I will go to herbalists, do acupuncture, do more breathing techniques, nutritionists.  Whatever it takes.  
I was given a book called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch for Christmas and I has some wonderful information in it.  A herb called Suma a.k.a Brazilian Ginseng is great for weakened immune systems.
I wanted to pass on all of this information just so you all can try other methods- find out what is going on in our bodies!
Hope this has been some help... it opened my eyes up a bit... allergies don't have to be just about food or environmental issues.  
Take it easy all and I will get back to you after I have had all my blood tests done. :)
i got my test results back and everything is perfectly ok :)  so no underlying condition i don't know about.
any luck with seeing a herbalist to help?  someone mentioned they were going to see a herbalist.  any info would be great.
I've been on Candidol for 2 weeks now and I don't see any improvements.  Oh well... back to the drawing board I guess.  
I will turn 44 tomorrow and have suffered with hives since 17.  Had the allergy test. Taking 30mg prednisone every day for over two years and long amounts of time prior to that.  I also have taken zyrtec, stomach pills, asthsma, stress, all in combination etc.  Taking considerable amounts of prednisone is all that works.  I have tried to candida cleanse,  detox, etc.  Vitamins, minerals, i have a dr apt tomorrow in which he is going to refer me to an oncologist to try chemo pills... i will also look into querctin.  so sorry to hear there are so many of us who suffer.  I have hives from the top of my head to tips of my toes and inside and also i get pressure hives.  can anyone else relate?  thanks for all the comments.
I just found this thread when I was searching for natural remedies for Hives.
I just thought I would post and *** if anyone had any ideas.
Every morning  for the past 2 months, I have wken up covered in hives... literally covered... from finger tips to toes, some days my entire body is just a giant red welt.... As the day passes they fade away, and generally by evening my skin is back to normal, except for the terrible deep skin itching... even when there is no hives on the skin, it itches under the skin.

The real kicker for me is that I live in Japan... where they don't like to use drugs... or do medical tests or anything like that... The Dr looked at my hand, didn't even look at the rest of the hives and said... it's hives... 99.9% of the time we don't know the reason, and then gave me a cream to put on my skin.  I have been to 8 different doctors, none of whom will test for any allergies... and Im at the end of my teather...

I am have cut out all foods from my diet that I could be allergic to... nuts, wheat, sugars, artificial colourings, and clean and dust and vacuum my house every day to make sure there is no dusts... I've changed all my perfumes and lotions and deoderants and cleaning products to non allergenic ones, and I change my sheets every day.

Inititally I thought there was something in my bed that I was allergic to, seeing it's only at night they come out, but I have slept in hotels, at friends houses, I even slept in a concerete storage unit one night, and I still wake up totally covered in hives.

I just don't know what to do.  I have thought about going home and getting some real drugs, but I would only be able to stay  for a maximum of a month, and I know that I would be devistated if I went back to get health care and it didn't work.

Im just at a bit of a loss as to what to do.  At the moment I just wear long sleeves and long pants and go to work anyway, but it's coming up summer, and I really want to get it sorted... I just wonder if anyone has any ideas....

I see that no one has posted anything on this forum for quite some time, but I just wanted to say that this has been really helpful more so mentally than physically.  Unfortunately, no one around us understands what we are going through and as much as they love us and try to help it's a little frustrating because no one has done more research than us who are suffering.  

I've had hives now for just over 6 months and have no idea what could have caused them.  Originally I thought it was these sheets that we bought and didn't wash before we put them on the bed, but the dermatologist that I went to recently didn't beleive that could be the case because he thinks that once you get rid of the trigger you get rid of the hives.  I disagree, but could obviously be wrong.  

I just recently ordered and received Histarix and have to tell you that it is not in pill form and tastes pretty disgusting.  It's not quite as bad as buckleys but it is brutal none the less.  I just received it today and am not sure which method is better.  Taking it directly so that it is over with, or putting it in some iced tea which is a little less painful, but then you have a pretty disgusting drink that you have to choke down.  Not to mention that you have to take it 4 times a day.  Anyways, if anyone comes back to this forum I'd love to keep you posted to let you know if it's done anything to help.  I couldn't find any reviews other than on their site, which a person obviously can't trust.  But there is a money back guarantee, so it can't hurt.  

It would be really nice to see at least one success story...
Hello all,

I am the Queen of Hives (used to be anyway) . Finally figured it out after 30 yearrs:

1) Leaky Gut syndrome: this is real no matter what your doctor will tell you. You need to do a colon cleanse and eat really good whole, organic foods. Brown Rice and Organic Greens.

2) Immune Support: Reishi, Reishi, Reishi, Dragon herbs makes a really good one.  I have been without hive medicine for the first time in 30 years. Pleasant side effect, you will also be a lot more calm.

3) Vitamin C and Quercitin are excellent as well.

4) If you are really suffering try the 4 herb Essiac tea, it will give you a great cleanse and pleasant side effect of great skin and hair.  I hope these things help you.  I can understand how the hive/sleepy antihistamine effect can make life unpleasant. Cheers
if u are taking zanax it could be causing your hives it has a 20% longer half life than reg medicine and builds up in your system . the body attacks the sensitive parts of the skin  between fingers. face ,arms.
look up allergy to zanax   never ending rash the one u thought was helping is killing u slowly
You have to consult a good immunologist. You will have to keep patience and believe that corticosteroids are going to work. It will take time. But it will work.
I've suffered from hives since high school, I'm now in my mid thirties and only after changing my lifestyle dramatically from eliminating dairy, meat, cooking in oil, and sugar has my skin changed dramatically for the better, my hives are now gone. I would react to dust, pollen, temperature, food, contact..everything.  I was regular user of antihistamenes - the only thing that made a difference to me not having outbreaks of hives has been changing my diet.  I now eat 5 fruits a day, a large selection of dark green veges even juicing veges like kale, broccoli, cucumber with apples etc.  I eat clean, whole foods and my immune system has really prevented me being susceptible to all these sources of allergens.  I would urge you to change your diet.  Suga and dairy were the biggest culprits for me.  I would recommend eating fresh and raw whole foods to notice the changes before trying medication as a first option.  Let food be they medicine - hippocrates..this is so true in my case.
I totally agree with you. I firmly believe that God supplied us with everything we need to take care of ourselves naturally. I just started breaking out with hives about a week ago. Before that it was 3 years ago. For the past year I have been eating terribly and not exercising. I used to be a health food  exercise fanatic. What eating plan did you follow if any? Right now I am trying to eat no dairy, sugar or processed foods and drink only water. I know I have a candida problem because I always get yeast infections so I am doing a yeast cleanse also. Right now I'm taking quercetin, vitamin c and probiotic but its only been two days. No results yet. Benedryl does help me but do not want to rely on it. I really want to do this the natural way and see what happens. I am going to have some blood work done to check my cholesterol and blood sugar but i think the Dr needs to check my liver function and thyroid. Any other suggestions? Of course prayer is a huge part of the healing process. GOd does not want us to live in sickness but he does want us to help ourselves and take the necessary actions like eating healthy! God Bless You.
I have had hives on my arm for 2 months..seem to get better..then EXPLODE during the night..I take Claritin 1x daily..that seems to help some..have had to take 2 Benedryl in order to sleep..but that only lasts a few hours..my arms are scarred and sore..look awful...bloody scabs, welts, and those lovely hives..prior to the arm hives I had just gotten over hives on my neck for 3 or 4 months..I have always had a sensitivity to sunlight..so use sunscreen..which actually makes things worse most of the time..I have been using Lanacain..that helps some...but am getting desparate...will try to cut out the Diet Cokes..and cut down on chocolate too...
I am still getting hives in fact its been worse the last few weeks, I have noticed something that I wondered if others have had, it seems to 'flare' it puffs up in welts around my neck, one side of it, whenever I seem to get warm, I am wondering if it could be body heat related, I get some dermographism though not as bad as I used to...recently I had a CBC and they said my sugar was high but not diabetic it was 112 then I had another, fasting it was 115..told me maybe pre diabetes ,so I am wondering if there is a link there, my Mom was diabetic but she never had the hives. recently I had metal posts/rootcanal  removed from my mouth as I havent been feeling well, I thought maybe Heavy Metal Toxicity..well I do feel a lot better but still have the hives ..any ideas maybe it is caused by unstable sugar levels ..PM me if you have any good input ...
Good day,

This is a long thread, and I did not follow all of it (Apologize for my elemental English). I am not sure if someone mentioned the Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT)

Circulation is very important to every process in the body. The heart is not the only factor responsible of the propulsion of the blood through the body. Gravity influence is very important, and this is something Egyptians knew very well 4000 years ago.

But Andrew K Fletcher, a medical researcher and engineer, did not know that, he was studying plant physiology, and found the answer to how was it possible for very high trees to have sap moved higher than theory would allow.

He found the way gravity influenced the process, and decided to experiment raising the bed (at the upper side, where you lie your head), 6 inches.  It means around 5 degrees inclination, your head up, your feet down. Yes! 4 weeks later, his wifés oedema was cured, both had more energy, and other health details showed improvement..

You will find information in these links, this info could mean a blessing to you...
http://www.heal-me.com.au/ibt.html

http://andrewkennethfletcher.blogspot.com/search/label/inclined%20bed%20therapy

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/inclined_to_sleep_inclined/browse_thread/thread/569fb919699a7788/2c0d55b2b5651dc7?show_docid=2c0d55b2b5651dc7

Respectfully

I started getting small red bumps about 10 years ago that would itch.  Since 2005 it got much worse and now I get hives/rashes all over.  I've tried Quercitin but not long enough as people are saying you have to take it a lot.  The only things that have worked (for a short period of time) are benadryl (the pink pills that make you drowsy)and S. Josephs chewable aspirn (the chewable works the other does not) found at Rite Aid.

St. Joseph Asprin:
http://www.stjosephaspirin.com/products/index.jhtml

The bad thing is neither will cure it and taking everyday is bad for you and raises your tolerance so you have to keep taking more and more which again is bad for you.  I've also tried taking this chinese herb pills didn't work: Xyantum relieve surface(sp?) and that didn't help but again I didn't use it for very long.  I just ordered some Oxyhive stuff and I have no idea if that will work.

The only sure thing that gets my hives to go away once I feel them pop on my arm is to put ICE on it.  Straight up ice from your freezer.  Put it in a baggy or however you want, but leave it on there till the ice melts and the hives will go away.  Now this probably won't work if your hives are caused by cold, but mine get worse with heat so it works for me.  It still drives me nuts just like everyone else but ice puts out the fire quickly.  Sometimes you need to use two bags of ice.  Use the first and keep it on the hives until it melts then refill the bag with ice and place it on the hives until the ice melts.  This will get rid of the hives until they feel like coming back... which for me is daily.  

BTW: I've also have been taking zyrtec daily for years and it hardly helps as everyday I have hives.  
Update for my post above: After a lot of searching and many years of suffering I decided to try something different.  I bought a CleanRest Mattress Encasement, an allergy comforter, CleanRest Pillow and Pillow Encasement.  I think (but I'm not sure yet) that I might be suffering for dust mite allergies.  So if that is the case this should help a little.  I also bought a Bissle Little Green to clean up with.  Crossing fingers.  

re:Update: I might also buy a HEPA air purifier.   Something like this: Electrolux EL500AZ Oxygen HEPA Air Purifier

I've read that HEPA is the way to go and doesn't release any ozone like the ion purifiers.  
Still getting them everyday.  Since ice works well and stops the itching and makes the hives go away I ordered some cold spray and I'm going to try that out and see if it stops the hives before they get bad.  Hopes this works.  Too much dust in the world, lets all start a campaign against dust mites.  I hate those little microscopic terrorists.
Could lindabeen be right???????

"To: everyone -

I've suffered from hives since high school, I'm now in my mid thirties and only after changing my lifestyle dramatically from eliminating dairy, meat, cooking in oil, and sugar has my skin changed dramatically for the better, my hives are now gone. I would react to dust, pollen, temperature, food, contact..everything.  I was regular user of antihistamenes - the only thing that made a difference to me not having outbreaks of hives has been changing my diet.  I now eat 5 fruits a day, a large selection of dark green veges even juicing veges like kale, broccoli, cucumber with apples etc.  I eat clean, whole foods and my immune system has really prevented me being susceptible to all these sources of allergens.  I would urge you to change your diet.  Suga and dairy were the biggest culprits for me.  I would recommend eating fresh and raw whole foods to notice the changes before trying medication as a first option.  Let food be they medicine - hippocrates..this is so true in my case."

I found on on Yahoo Answers......

"You've got lots of good advice here and I just had to add mine because I suffer from hives-- diagnosed as 'ideopathic urticara'- for months at a time.

The best advice my dermatologist ever gave me: Don't scratch. When you scratch your cells burst and release histamines... you may find yourself swollen. I have had this condition to the point of being disfigured and in the ER being pumped full of steroids.

(don't let anyone prescribe steroids to stop your reaction unless it's life threatening, this could cause a rebound effect)

My advice: Don't drive yourself insane trying to find a cause to your hives. The immune system is a mystery.

Your doctor will help you find the right histamine blocker. All those anti-histamines out there block differently... you have to experiment until one works for you. In my case, it's Allegra-- you could also try Zyrtec or Claritin. (Those are the big three used to combat hives.)

Also, use a cool pack to keep the hotspots from drving you insane. Avoid hot showers, use a bath oil after bathing and PAT dry-- do NOT rub!"
Good advice about the vegies and changing your diet.  I'm going to give this a try even though I love meat.  I do think I know the cause but I'm not 100% sure.  

Read on if you want to know my theory:

I think it's a microscopic foreign object (probably the dust mite bodies and other contagiens) that makes contact with my skin.  My body thinks it is attacking me so it attacks it.  It continues to attack it because the object has some property in it (we'll call the property X.  And X=1).  That property X makes my body think it is still attacking me so my body continues to attack it.  My body will only stop attacking it until the properties of that object changes from X=1 to X=0.  I believe the cold (IE: Ice or ice packs or even Clorox wipes which probably are not safe to use on your body but I have tried them and it worked) changes the property X of the foreign object from X=1 to X=0 and then my body stops attacking it.  I do not believe that your body is the problem and taking clartin and other drugs is not needed.  Again your imune system is not the problem.  It is doing what it is supposed to do.  The problem is the foreign object has some strange property that for some reason needs to be changed.  In other words it's probably dead dust mites and your body thinks it's alive.  Applying ice to that object kills that property and your body stops attacking it.  

I think keeping your house really cold will help change the property of that foreign object from X=1 to X=0 before it ever reaches your skin.  It would be good idea to also clean your air ducts also and keep your house super clean.

I would like to come up with a spray that is safe that will change the property before it reaches your skin that could inserted into your air ducts in your house that would make the change.  But really I think just cooling your house really cold would do the trick.  But then you have to live in a cold house.  

I stopped taking the drugs Xyrtec and Clartin and just using ice to change the property of the foreign object and this is working.  I now want to change it before it ever touches my skin.  This will take some experimentation but I think it can be done.   Dr's are useless in my opinion and they keep saying it's all a mystery.  It's a mystery to them because they are looking at your body attacking something and saying it's over-reacting.  The thing is it is not over-reacting.  Your body thinks that object is alive or something and it attacks it until it is dead which takes your body a while to do by itself and cause the hives to get big and itch and hurt.  The foreign object is the problem.  Just scratching off the top layer of the skin that is being affected even makes it stop IF you scratch off the foreign object.  I would not do this but I have done it in the past and it makes my body stop attcking sometimes and other times it just moves the foreign object to another part of the skin nearby.  

So to recap:  Make 'X' equal zero.  Enjoy life.

BTW: I didn't finish my thought there... don't scratch it.  Like others have said it will only make it worse and move the foreign object to another part of your body and since 'X' still equals '1' it will continue to wreck havok on your skin.   ICE it.  And stay away from drugs.  
I just read all the above posts from 05/15/2007 until the last one in 2010.  I have been suffering for one year and don't know that I can offer any suggestions, but one treatment was very effective.  When my symptoms began a year ago, they consisted of itchy skin with red skin and/or red bumps  --- large raise areas, not small discreet bumps.  After several months, the intense itching led to a burning sensation -- like an intense sunburn.  By this point, I had visited several dermatologists and tried all the usual suspects of anti-histamines -- Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Doxepin, Hydroxyzine.  Then my symptoms became quite debilitating -- the water from the showerhead HURT, my jeans hurt around my waist, a bra was uncomfortable.  I ended up with a dermatologist at Duke - who prescribed Cyclosporine, an organ, anti-rejection medicaiton.  I took 300 mg daily and it worked.  I was back wearing clothes, exercising, and being a normal person.  My aunt is a pediatric allergist/immunologist at Duke, so she referred me to an adult allergist/immunologist.  Also, back when this started, I saw an allergist  (no allergies) and did blood work and was found to have hypothyroidism and am now on Synthroid.  My doctor is now weaning me off the Cyclosporine, which was serious side effects with prolonged use.  I am suffering miserably now -- it has been two weeks since I started to taper down the dosage and my skin burns, itches, and hurts! So I am very frustrated and disappointed that my symptoms returned with a vengeance when I tried to wean off the meds.  I have e-mailed my doctor with photos this Labor Day weekend to see if she can work me in this week.   Good luck -   I, too, would like to find a definite cause or etiology but am hopeful.  There is a good article on chronic urticaria on American Society of Doctor of osteopaths website -- basically it agrees that rarely a cause is found and you just have to accept this - I'm not ready too yet!
I have had cronic (chronic) hives for years and all doctors do is prescribe steroids for me, about 8 rounds and 20 pound weight gain later they are gone for maybe a year and then back they would come.  This last time a new doctor told me to also take Benadryl and Zantac 150.  Last week I started to have hives so I decided to go to a natural health store to try natural ways to get rid of the hives. They suggested the Quercetin and Betaine Hydrochloride so I took the Benadryl, Zantac, Quercetin and Betaine Hydrochloride and NO steroids.  Insted of taking months to clear up they cleared up in 10 days and have not spread to another part of my body.

A product I have found that stops the itchy, burning, stinging  is a product from LUSH it is call Fresh Farmacy and is a cleanser bar for sensitive skin it has powdered calamine, cammomile, and tea tree oil.  I wet it and  rub it to a paste over my skin and let it dry.  Stays on for hours and also dries up the hives.  I had hives on my hands, at home I would have the dried pink paste and by morning the welts were down. Washed my hands because I didn't want it on my hands at work.  8 hours later the welt was starting to come back, got home put on a thick layer of Fresh Farmacy and the next morning the welt was down and it never came back. And no steriods.

I do not drink diet pop.  I do drink diet tonic water that has saccarine in it because I am a diabetic and the quinne it keeps me from having leg cramps and helps greatly with my restless leg syndrome.  Arn't nerves a wonderful thing!
I am so happy to have found this forum I can't believe it goes back 3 years.  I have always had allergies, but 3 weeks ago I had flu like symptoms that I took Coricidin (similar to Nyquil but for people with high blood pressure) for.  I was able to sleep without coughing or sneezing but woke up feeling more fatigued.  The past 3 weeks I have been feeling really weak.  Then, with some co-workers we had lunch at a Swedish restaurant in Greenwich village and I had some raw herring which came plain, with a yogurt looking dressing, and another with pickled dressing.  A few hours after I ate there, I broke out in hives around my arm pits from walking around the city.  The hives started to grow all over my back, buttocks, arms and legs.  By 9pm I was covered in hives.  I got home and took 2 benedryl which helped me sleep and the hives seemed to settle down.  I got up at 5am for work and the hives came back full force.  I took Benedryl 4 times during the workday probably every 2 hours which seemed to be when it would wear out and the hives would start showing up all over my body.  I woke up this morning with chills and I thought fever, went to my Dr. in Elmwood Park NJ, Barry Greenspan.  He said since I didn't have a fever and had no color in my cough, he was not going to prescribe me antibiotics.  He said it sounds like I got a food allergy, but he thinks the Coricidin I was taking for my cold might have been the culprit too.  Then he said there could be other causes and the only way to find out was to take blood tests.  He will be running my blood tests for allergies, food poisoning, lupus, etc.. I will keep you posted.  Dr. Greenspan prescribled Bromfed to me for my cough and hives and it keeps the hives down but it comes back in about 3 hours.  

I am mortified at the idea that this issue could last for months or years as I have read you all talk about.  It is probably one of the most painful illnesses I have ever gotten.  Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and I will keep the blog up to date on my findings to see if I can help out.
It just occured to me that I have been taking an Acai supplement and maybe I had an allergic reaction to that?

I just found this link to other acai berry sufferers and they are all breaking out in hives!!

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-Social/Allergic-Reaction-to-acai-berry-supplement/show/594244
Hello everyone.

This looks like a great site.

I thought I would share with you the story of our suffering over the last 8 months. My wife has had some intense itchy tiny bumps on her legs and arms and eventually her torso. It seems to have started with some bed bug bites that she picked up in New York city. Initially, the bites were on her legs. She described it as intense itching. She went to her doctor and was recommended the usual OTC topical steroid creams. She tried all of them with little benefit. She found that Sarna helped a bit to "cool" things down.

Eventually, she saw a dermatologist who diagnosed her with idiopathic urticaria. The MD gave her a steriod shot and some doxyclicline antibiotic for 4 weeks. It seemed to help a little, but once the antibiotics was completed, her itch was back in full force.

After a few months of continued suffering, she started to sneeze and have congestion problems adding to her already itchy condition. After suffering for 7 months, trying all of the OTC antihistamines and a few prescription antihistamines, her symptoms continue if not worse.

A few weeks ago she saw an allergist who did a skin allergy test. The test showed her to be allergic to grass and certain trees, so the allergist is recommending allergy shots. Don't know if this will help her.

Just wanted to know if others have had this problem stemming from bed bug-type bites. Anyone?
Please try an ayurvedic medicine called KYNATOMINE from a company called J&J DeChane from India. It is 100%herbal (ayurvedic) with NO SIDE EFFECTS. Check online for it. Order it on the net. You need to have 2 tablets 3-4 times a day for at least a month. It is actually a medicine for the liver but it CURES hives especially of unknown causes. There is another medicine called HEMOPLEX from the same company which helps in hives. You need to have 2 tablets 3 times a day with hot water and honey. Don't try both simultaneously. Try the Kynatomine first. Believe me, TRY IT!
Did you ever get tested by Genova Diagnostics?  Did they find anything?
Yeah, I hear ya. Bestoink here in Atlanta. I was drinking lots of Diet cokes along with coke zeros thinking they were ok since from experience I know the yellow and clear ones-Mountain Dew,Sprite,etc. give me hives and swelling big time. It took a while, I love sodas, but the hives and swelling started from the Diet cokes. My lips and face swelled up like a monster! My cat ran from me! Listen people, quit drinking sodas all together!! Don't take a chance. I've even gotten hives from drinking lots of regular sugar cokes. For some people-me- sodas are poison! I love sodas more than anyone,too much, but they give me hives. You want to stop the hives? QUIT DRINKING SODAS! THEY ARE POISON!  Drink water only and your hives will go away in a few days.
What is this website about? Really? I'm doing a science fair project about chlorophyll and this came up!

This is really confusing!!!!!!!!!!
I don't lke doing science fair project.
What's. Hives?
my husband has chronic hives for 30 years we have tried everything i mean everything. at this moment it is ok he has been taking homeopathic remedys  weleda urtica  you can take up to six tablets a day andalso quercetin one tablet twicw aday we think this is helping but dont know time will tell. i know how you feel. keep trying homeopathic remedys anything else  that we think will help we will keep you informed so good luck keep  your chin up from josie and gus
Hi here from Montgomery.  Have had chronic hives going on 18 years now.  Will try to abstain from soft drinks altogether.  Only thing that keeps me from itching is Zyrtec.  Been taking that all of these years after going through countless medicines that didn'work.  Went to a dermatologist who thinks depression causes this and had me on all kinds of stuff - well the itching continued.  Went to an allergist here in Montgomery and he said that was garbage and immoral to think that depression causes this.  It's like you are the cause of this and it's all your fault.  He said continue what works to keep the itching under control.  But being on Zyrtec all this time worries me.  I will try that approach w/ the soft drinks.
Hi Montgomery,

Its not the depression that causes the urticaria but the other way around, the release histamine affects the brain chemicals, it lowers available seratonin
Hi have you noticed a connection between insulin levels and your urticaria, i say that because insulin is a powerful (and very necessary) hormone that in excess can 'shock' the body and is a possible urticaria trigger, i'm not suggesting you stop maintaining insulin but that you work on better regulation and see if that helps
cheers
I just started developing this hives and at first I freaked out.
This is a quick fix atleast stops the itching and burning for a while and must the times the hives go away.
They do come back,that's why it's a quick fix but you can continue with your day.
Splash white Vinegar on your body or go in the bathtub and pour a good amount in there.
I usually apply it where the welts and hives are and they stop itching immediately.
Just be careful because your body is absorbing the acidity of Vinegear.
It says to use apple cider but a Dr. Friend of mine advises I use reg white vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar,contains to much sugar.

Good luck to you all!!
  I also have what the ARMY called Urticaria Angeiodema. I never during my active outdoor life had this prior to service. I joined in 2001 and was discharged for this in 2003. During my career I was told I was getting bit by spiders for a while then they told me they didn't know what it was. Up until I was getting ready to deploy to Iraq they didn't care they noticed when I have a prescription for 20 epi-pens they wouldn't let me go. So I was discharged. Now 10 years later I continue to get them chronically almost everyday. The only fix is prednisone (steroid) pills which I've been told is bad for the body. I've talked with my current doctor and he saidhe can't say the military caused this but something they gave me could have effected my system in a way I get this now. The first time I had this was after getting the row of shots in 40th AG prior to basic. So with time they do not go away mine has only gotten worse.
I am a type one diabetic and went my first 10 month round of chronic hives back when I was in college.  It followed being scratched by my friend's pet iguana, though no doctor's could find any connection.  They assured me the only thing iguanas are known to carry is salmonella which doesn't manifest itself in hives.  After taking so many benadryl a day my hands were shaking (I was also on perscription strength hydroxyzine, allegra, and zantac), I finally convinced my university doctor to give me a medrol dose pack.  The other doctor's I was seeing in two different states would not perscribe steroids due to my diabetes.  This doc just told me to watch my sugars and we gave it a shot.  After the five day treatment, the hives were gone for about a week.  Then they came back.  He gave me a second five day course of treatment.  They disappeared for a little over ten years.  I've gotten married and had two children...no hives.  Then, out of the blue, in August 2011, I broke out again.  I've had hives pretty much every day since then.  This batch of doctors have told me that in 90%+ of all cases of  chronic hives, they never determine a cause.  I'm being treated with hydroxyzine and zantac again with benadryl when necessary.  They tried me on three different types of steroids, one I took for over three months which was a blood sugar nightmare and caused me to gain over 20 pounds.  Nothing seemed to be helping.  Then my sister mentioned reading something about aspartame being linked to cases of hives.  I figured I'd give it a shot and cut it out of my diet.  It's almost like magic--I stopped drinking diet sodas and consuming any other food products that contain aspartame and viola--no hives.  I have an occassional bump or two, but nothing like the head to toe coverage I'd been experiencing for over a year.  It's only been six days so far, but I have hope that once the rest of the aspartame gets out of my system I may remain hive free.  Here's hoping.
It is a difficult concept but 90% of the sufferers here have auto immune urticaria, our own bodies are attacking our sub dermal layer of skin, it's basically a runaway immune system response like many other that cause a variety of hard to treat diseases. The triggers for this are very unlikely to be foods, infections etc or if an infection has triggered it then it has a life of its own, curing the infection won't stop the urticaria. There may be no obvious cause or a variiety of causes. I found mine which is the hormone insulin produced in hypogylemia but everyone's can be different. There is no cure, i control mine, more or less, bya low cal diet and taking anti histamines. Unless you want to risk your health by taking meds that dampen down your immune system that's the best you can hope for. cheers
Did you get your test results? I have chronic hives and anxiety as well. Are they related? I have tried ex anti histamines lotions and remedies. I have managed to get rid of them for a week only. And they are back now . It's weird I don't know how I got rid of them. Hope you are well.
Viewing 201-204 comments: