Allergy Community
Chronic throat itch and cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Chronic throat itch and cough

I have had a chronic throat tickle for 4 months which causes me to cough regularly. I also sneeze after I start to get the throat itch. I have been to a primary care doctor and allegy specialist.  I've been prescribed Zyrtec, Singulair, Flutiasone and Astelin.  Nothing is working.   I can't sleep at night and talking makes it worse.  Any suggestions?
Tags: itch, cough
i had a constamt sore throat for an entire summer and couldn't find the problem- had all kinds of tests done for strep, etc...
In short, I was at my gastro int. dr. and mentioned how much my throat was bothering me- turns out, it was acid reflux and it was happening at night in my sleep when i layed down.  my esophagus was basically "burnt" inside.
You should see if this could be a possible cause since it is throat related- the sneezing could just be a reaction to your coughing???
I would try it.
I took nexium fo ra few months and my throat was back to normal----
Hi, I have had the same annoying throat itching, so that I have to cough really hard to relieve the itching.  It's been 2 years and nothing helps, have tried allergy meds and prescription Robitussin.
Talking also makes my itching and coughing worse.  Have you had any answers to this problem?
If you have, please post another message.  Thanks and good luck!

Ronni
I too have this very problem - itching throat w/ chronic cough & sneezing.  It has been ongoing when I don't take the following:  The one thing that has worked for me is taking Standard Process "Antronex", which helps maintain a healthy liver via its blood filtering and affect on histamine & "Allerplex", the body' s natural cleansing system.(http://www.becomehealthynow.com/ebookprint.php?id=115)  The approach in treating allergies in a natural sense is to repair those body systems which are not meeting the demands of the invading allergen.  You can buy these at Amazon.com.  I take up to 18 Antronex a day & 4 Allerplex (remember, it's whole food so less potent).

The second option to help as well while waiting on your order, is turmeric spice & honey.  You can buy the turmeric in powder form at any health food store.  You mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric spice, 1 teaspoon of honey (get local honey - http://www.pioneerthinking.com/to_honey.html) with one cup of milk at night before bed.  Warm it all up & mix together.  It doesn't taste too bad.  Turmeric's active ingredient, curcumin, has an anti-allergic effect.  http://mapi.com/en/articles/allergyalert2001.html