Allergy Community
Cipro allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Cipro allergy

I had an allergic reaction to cipro after being on it off an on for a month.  I had diverticulitis that wouldn't heal so I was afraid to get off of the drug.  I started itching (badly) and started taking benedryl with the cipro.  I had a hard time getting the doctor or pharmacist to believe that I was having an allergic reaction to cipro.  They both said that it was so uncommon that they though that it must be something else, like stress.  When my throat and lips started swelling, they finally realized that I was indeed having an allergic reaction.

I have been a senior level executive in high stress jobs for 20 years.  I don't react to stress - never have.  I have been off cipro for a month, but the itching continues.  It does respond to benedryl, but benedryl makes me sleepy and lowers my performance at work.  

Is there anything else that I may take, and do you think that I may have liver damage from the cipro that is causing this itching.  

Most likely this itching is due to ciprofloxacin allergy. You can apply an anti-itch cream or steroid cream like dermacort to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as zyrtec,loratidine(Claritin) etc can also be used.They are comparatively non sedating. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

If however the itching continues then definitely internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia have to be probed.Liver and kidney function tests will give an idea about the condition of liver or kidneys.A consultation of an allergist or physician in that case will be the best.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.