Allergy Community
Clorine allergy or bacteria in water. Skin looks like it was burned by ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Clorine allergy or bacteria in water. Skin looks like it was burned by fire.

Bad water.

At first I thought I had been stung by man-0-war jelly fish at the beach, but it happened a few times again later. With in 10 minutes I get all red, itchy or stings. Even if I wash it off right away the next day it continues to get worst for up to 24-48 hours then after my skin starts to look like plastic and peals off like dead skin and the skin under is raw and forming scabs. I am sure it is the water which has chlorine in it. I have stopped exposure and it is going away finally.  Gets worst for 24 hours after and lasts 5-7 days after exposure each time.

Everyone else is fine, no one even knows why I had such a sensitive reaction.

Does this sound like?
A. sensitivity to chlorine.
B  allergy to chlorine.
C. bacteria in the water eating at my skin.
I'm going to be ok. Just want to understand what might have happened. Thank you.
I looked up chlorine allergy on a website and it said "The small white patches that can develop on your skin after swimming is not an allergic reaction to chlorine. The white patches are actually caused by a type of yeast infections and needs to be treated with a topical medication."

Am I infected with yeast? I have no problem as long as I don't come in contact with this water. Just looking for answers since the problem was somewhat severe and raw skin stings.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

With the description of your rash, i do not think it is a yeast infection or any bacteria eating your skin that is causing you distress. Chlorine is used as a powerful combatant against many parasites and disease-causing pathogens in our water systems. It can also leave the skin dry and itchy, and leave hair dry, brittle, and prone to dandruff. Numerous scientific studies report that chlorinated water is a skin irritant and can be associated with rashes like eczema. Combined with volatile organic chemicals, it causes permanent respiratory problems.

On the other hand, a dermatological problem resulting in a red, bumpy, itchy rash, which looks like measles is caused by  P. aeruginosa infection is  On most bathers, the rash appears on the legs, trunk, inside of the arms, lower back, neck and shoulders, or anywhere the skin is broken, or where a swim suit rubs against and irritates the skin. This can be prevented by taking a soapy, hot water shower immediately after leaving the pool. If this persists, it is always good to see your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Happened again. This time it was definitely chemical contact. These among other chemicals were present before and again now. Could one of these 2 chemicals cause this skin problem? Either or both?

Chlorhexidine
and
Sodium Hydroxide

Or should I keep looking for more chemicals that have come in contact with my skin? This is really frustrating. Thanks.
Isolated it to my skin product that had these chemicals in it. I read all the other labels and they did not have these chemicals in there. I tested it again and sure enough it happened again. So for now I will not use any product containing these chemicals. Any idea which one it was or both? Thank.
At least I think it was one of these chemicals. But definitely this specific product. Very strange that I had been using the same product for 4 years and only now I started to have problems with it. And I also had been using the same bottle for the past 6 months and no problems until now. I went and bought a new bottle and same problem. I don't think the product changed I think my skin changed.

I have been taking a new medication for the past 4 months with high level of magnesium hydroxide. I'll talk to my allergist about this. Maybe a new medication is changing something. Do you think this would have anything to do with it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? The usual side effects of Magnesium hydroxide include : stomach cramps, upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea. What other medications are you taking? On the other hand, The itching could also be due to hard water. This contains dissolved calcium and magnesium ions that can cause drying and itching of skin. Try having your water tested. Usually,  a water softener may help improve these symptoms. Take care and keep us posted.