Constant smoke smell in nasal passages.
I am a non-smoker. We are a non-smoking family. I am not around smokers at all. Why do I have the constant smell of smoke in my nose. It used to be just an occasional thing, but lately it seems to be all the time. I am concerned that this is a symptom of something I don't know about. The smell is strong. I used to notice it about a half hour after taking my Allegra-D 12 hr. tablets, but now I smell it much more often. Am I going crazy or is there something to this I'm not aware of. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help?
I have been having this sensation of smelling or experiencing a burning acrid feeling in my nose for a few months. It isn't like a smell I can identify but the feeling one would get when smelling something like a burnt match or wet burnt wood maybe. I couldn't understand why others didn't smell it until I realized I was experiencing the samething at home, in the car and at work. I don't know if this is the same as what everyone here is talking about. I am trying to find some answers, I go to the Dr. Sept. 13th and want to be able to express this problem in a way that won't lead to dismissal.
Same thing for me but I awaken from the smoke smell.  I have actually found people smoking outside a couple times, yet other times no.  3:30 am is the most common time for me to notice the smell.  I've been going outside to search for it.   Sad.  I live in a detached home in a decent neighbourhood.  My neighbour's son smokes in his garage.  I've been blaming him.  The times when he's not outside I blame my neighbour 2 doors down.  Let's face it, their cigarette smoke is not reaching through the cracks in my home.  It's me, something is wrong with me.  I was hit by a truck while driving on the highway a couple years ago.  Actually today is the 2 year anniversary.  My neck and shoulder are not normal anymore.  I ache and get headaches that shoot up my neck.  I had an mri to check my nerve involvement.  Now I have to find out more since I know I'm not inventing the smell.  I have been under an immense amount of stress and can't figure out this smoke thing.  It's only occassional.  Or, I'm just not waking up every time I smell it.  I actually feel a crackly throat the next day like I really   had smoke in my room.  I had a loser family living on the other  side who had a grow up going on in the house.  That is a totally different smell all together.  This is definitely coming from me.  
i have been experiencing some smokey smells too but they are accompanied by tingling and ringing ears, i think its a brain tumor but my mum thinks thats ridiculous, but they match perfectly to a brain tumor, wat should i do? ( ive been to the doc's on a previous occasion and he said theres nothing wrong) but these sensations wont go away)
I think you may be on to something.  I have experienced this off and on my entire life (I'm 34).  I notice that it is worse after going out in public.  When I was a teenager, I always associated this lasting cigarette smell in my nose with a trip to the mall.  I am looking this up right now because I just spent 4 days at a convention held in 3 hotels.  Both of those places are very likely to use the kinds of cleaning products you're talking about.  I've read all the theories on brain tumors, colds, and sinus infections.  I don't think those explain my problem since I don't have any other symptoms related to those things (and since I've had this smell problem my whole life).  I do have a condition where the pressure in my head is elevated for no apparant reason, but I don't really think that is related since no one else has mentioned it.  Typically, I will experience this cigarette smoke smell for a few days after being out in public and then it will go away.  I guess that I do notice it sometimes after travelling.  I guess I could have "picked up" the smell in the airport or in a hotel.  I think I'm going to keep a log and try to notice floors and surfaces.
I don't want to scare anyone- but you may want to ask your doctors about a seizure disorder.  I've been smelling smoke for about a year also and about a month I had a grand mal seizure.  I was told it is an uncommon but possilbe link so just mention it.  I think the term for a "phantom smell seizure" is a partial seizure.  Once again, this is only to help you ask questions and not to scare you.
I can't believe I found this site! I have been experiencing the tobacco smell off and on for the past several years. I have never smoked and my husband quit over 30 years ago and didn't smoke in this house.  My husband and anyone else I have told this to thinks I'm crazy.  It is so good to know that other people are experiencing the same problem and it is not just me, even if some of the answers/causes are kind of scary.
I'm a healthy, active (work out 4-5 times a week), 33yr old male who has never smoked and never around those that do but like all of you have the "smoke smell."  I wouldn't get scared by the brain tumor nonsense, this is definitely a sinus/allergy issue. I first got it last fall, went to my doctor who thought it might have something to do with mold but was otherwise pretty much clueless. I was given nasal spray and some other meds which didn't help. It went away after a month and was fine throughout the rest of the winter, spring and summer, but as of 9/15/07 have it again. I feel great otherwise, no other symptoms. I did get over a cold a few weeks ago so not sure if there related. I wasn't actually able to see my own Doc last year so will probably try to get in to him if this continues this year. One thing I did try with a little success last year was a Neti? Pot which you can purchase at your local drugstore. It is a little pot you fill with luke warm water and mix in a saline packet then tilt your head to the side, insert in one nostril and it will eventually flow out the other nostril, cleaning your sinusus...I renamed it the snoti pot :)  I was hesitant at first but actully works great and feels good...almost gives you the sensation you've been swimming all day if you know what I mean.  Good luck to all of you nose smokers, I'll report back on any info from my Doc.
I am glad to find this site. I am a nose smoker also. It all started a few years back when the forest close to us was on fire..The fire lasted 3-4 days and I smelled the smoke everywhere. After 3 months I was still smelling the same smell..No one else could smell it. Every since then, every few months the smell comes back and just this week it has started again..My sinuses burn and feel like they are cold and I have a headache in the middle of my forehead.. It is hard to explain but it is a miserable feeling.. I was recently on penicillin for a bladder infection and my mouth was so sore I could not eat. I am wondering if certain meds trigger this re-action. I am 71 years old and have had a few allergies and sinus problems, but otherwise in good health..I wish you all the very best and hope we can find something to stop this...
Well, have I got news for you all!  I cured myself of the constant smoke smell!   I have been an OR nurse for 26 years and know that "the solution to pollution is dilution".  So I took an empty nasal spray bottle, rinsed it well, filled it with sterile saline (like for eyes), tipped over forward and filled my nares (nose) with saline.  I stayed there for a few seconds and then stood straight and blew my nose.  I repeated that once.  I then did a single instillation twice a day for a week and poof my symptoms were gone.  They have NOT returned for 2 months.  A simple non-harmful solution that is basically FREE!  
Wow!! I too thought I was crazy. I've been suffering with this problem for a long time. Whe I lived in NY I would smell the odor of Raid. I would ask around and no one would smell it. Soon after the smell I woud get a migrane.  That smell went away and now I have been smelling smoke and at times my eyes would burn. This has gotten worse in the last 2 weeks and now it is almost constant. This last week I went around the house checking all electrical outlets thinking that there was a slow fire inside the walls. I knew this was ridicilous. I started having the smell outside the house.No one else smells it. I decided to do do some research before calling the doctor and stumbled on this site. Thank you every one now I know I am not crazy. I will give the neti pot a try and also call the doctor since I hace a few other sumptoms that could indicate a sinus infection.
I have just had a slight cold but the worst cough I've ever had. Since the cold went and the cough came I have had this sensation of smelling smoke/toast. It comes fom time to time and lasts only a few seconds. Very weird but am I glad I found this message board!!
I have only been experiencing this smell for a week or so, on and off, and it is driving me crazy! I don't know what to do anymore. If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would greatly appreciate them!!!
Well just like everyone else everyone thought that I was nuts.  I kept going around work and home asking everyone can you smell that smoke???  Everyone answered the same NO with a weird look.  It has been 5 days now of constant smoke smell.  Before the smoke smell started I had 3 days of horrible migraines not sure if the two are related.  I was very interested in the possible connection to the floor waxing and cleaning products.  I work in a grocery store where they wax and clean the floors often.  I am a blonde and find myself allergic and sensitive to many medicines. I don't care for strong smelling candles, perfumes, cleaners ect.  Does anyone else have these sensitivities?  I would just like a break from this horrible smell of smoke.  I feel horrible and my stomach is so upset.  It smells like I'm sitting in the middle of a casino surrounded by smokers without the fun of the slot machine. Actually I never go to the casinos because I hate the smell of smoke I guest know would be a good time to go.  Why does know one ever come back to explain what they find out at the doctors? I will promise that I will.  Thanks for listening I sick of friends and family being less than sympathetic.  Good luck everyone........
I am thrilled to have found this site, I have been smelling smoke for about 4 months, on and on off.  I am just getting over a very bad sinus infection so I am assuming the 2 are related.  As noted above I as well have use dthe Niel med, netti pot.  They are wonderful.  I find the smoke smell really bad the last couple of days, used to only bea "whif" here and there...Has anyone you know of been diagnosed of a brain tumor that had these sensations?  I am an extremely paranoid person and when I saw it could be related I instantly panicked, however the more I read I don't think that this is the case.  Thank you to everyone who shared, I am so thankful that this information was available....
Well, a week from my 'confession', and I still have a cough, but getting better and smoke/toast smell is not so frequent. I am convinced it's sinus related and my advice to anyone who is concerned about any other reason, especially if you have other symptoms, is to get it checked out.

I have been smelling smoke for about 6 years.  I first remember it when I moved into a new apartment and I complained to the management that it smelled of smoke.  The carpet was new and the place was clean and newly painted.  I bought an air cleaner which seemed to help a little.  Since then I have relocated to the south.  I have started to smell the smoke almost all of the time, but it's worse at night.  Forgetting that I first smelled it several years ago I thought that it was left over from many brush fires that we've had in Florida.  However, I smell it at work sometimes also.  I wonder if any of us have other medical issues in common.  I have restless legs syndrome, osteoarthritis, MVP, Barrett's esophagus, eczema.  I always have an ache somewhere but seem to have episodes of all over pain.  Some days I feel very fuzzy, have had a little bit of a balance problem lately with increased pain in the neck area.  I also am having a major problem with TMJ and can't open my jaw enough to eat a sandwich.  I'm under chiropractic care for this.  
About a year ago I was sent to a neurologist because of headaches and was found to have a very small calcification in my brain.  He said it was nothing to worry about.  The smoke smell wasn't bothering me at the time so I didn't mention it.  I'm going to schedule another appointment.  I am blown away that there are so many people with this same phenomenon...will let you know what the outcome is....
What you're talking about sounds like something that is possibly already there in the air of your home, but you aren't smelling it consistently. Airflow in the home is strange thing, but it's consistent with the fact that it keeps moving.

One thing you can do to help out, with any particle like that of smoke is, you can put in a whole house filter. The best in the business for price and efficiency is the Polarized Media Filters made by Electrobreeze. I would suggest these because I've had a friend that had problems with stuff that she was breathing in, and now doesn't have that problem any more.

To get some more information on these I'd visit www.airlifeone.com. I'm no specialist, I just saw it work with other people and decided to research it. It really does help to improve living conditions inside the home, so I would easily suggest it for you.

Hope this helps.
This article surprised me because I didn't think I would find anyone who is experiencing phantom smoke in the nose like I have been the last couple of weeks.
I don't smoke, never am around smoke at all.  It's light, like being in a bar the night before and the residual smokey smell stays in the nose....but I've not visited a bar in 7 years.
I have migraines.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  This is the first time this has happened.

If two posts show up, please disregard.  I had to register for it and I think it knocked my first post out, but I could be wrong.  :-)
Hello all,
Like many of you I was very happy to find this site and really appreciated the effort all of you took to outline the condition.  Like many of you I smelled smoke, needless to say it’s a little uncomfortable.  I’m going to tell you my story in hope that it might help someone else.  Also I sense the best way for all of us to approach this is very systematically.  We all have the same condition in some form or another and my guess is that the same set of circumstances triggers it for each of us.  If we work together maybe we figure out the trigger.  First I had the condition for about 3 months and have managed to miminize it to a point where it’s much less of a problem then it was when it started.  Of course it could come back.

1. Facts – I’m 61 no high blood pressure, no diabetes, not overweight and never any serious sinus problems.  
2. Clues: - I would get an attack at almost the same time every day.  Mid afternoon at work and watching TV in the evening.  It seemed to come only when I wasn’t moving or seriously concentrating on something.  Sometimes driving the car.  This went on for three months until I found this site.
3. I found it hard to believe it was a brain tumor because everything was so consistent and regular, so I decided early on it was some form of allergy, so I approached it from that angle. I looked at everything that gave allergies, milk, did friend get a new cat, did I drink red wine the night before, was my immune system low, are the certain plants in bloom, did I eat something the night before, coffee, etc. etc.
4. What worked so far….as one person on this blog suggested, stop using deodorant.  It worked…strange as it may seem.  The attacks became less frequent and were more mild.   My wife says that certain cosmetics can cause allergies, maybe something to look at for women.
5. I also noticed I could put my finger under my nose just as an attack was starting and I could get it to stop…maybe some form of biofeedback….who knows.

I’m still working on this and I realize this is a bit crazy but if everyone gives facts maybe we can find something that causes this and please if you found something that works please come back to the site and let us all know.  

Good luck all.