Allergy Community
Constant throat clearning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Constant throat clearning

My son is almost 4 and has gone 6+ months with a constant throat clearing.  He has had antibiotics 3 times this calendar year for suspected sinus infections, bronchitis, etc.  He's had 2 chest Xrays that show up negative.  He's been taking Zyrtec and Claritan off and on (doesn't seem to help) and steroid nose drops for 10 days.  The pediatrician nor his mom/dad see any excessive drainage although he had it in the past.  We are treating him for reflux now w/ Zantac.  He is always in a good mood, just tired.  No fever, eating well, etc.  Any suggestions for his constant throat clearing?

Constant throat clearing is present in post nasal drip. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose. It can be caused by rhinitis, sinusitis, or laryngopharyngeal acid reflux. It can be enhanced or sometimes even caused by allergies.

Since the sinusitis ,GERD and post nasal drip have already been checked by the doctor,the only thing that is left are allergies.Various air borne allergies can also cause constant throat clearing.

In my opinion,you should consult an allergist and get your son evaluated for any air borne allergies.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how your son is doing or  if you have any additional queries