Allergy Community
Coping with Mint allergy/sensitivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Coping with Mint allergy/sensitivity

Am I the only one who reacts badly to anything mint?  Cause I'm sure feeling lonely...

It wouldn't be so bad, except... Mint is EVERYWHERE!   I have to order expensive toothpaste because the normal stuff stings like crazy and makes me nauseous.  Cherry tastes like medicine.  And I can only tollerate cinnamon in very small doses (like what's mixed in the sugar for cinnamon toast small).  I have yet to discover a brand of mouthwash that does not contain mint in some form or other - or else the cinnamon kind makes first burns then makes my mouth go numb.  Ditto for breath mint alternatives.  (I can't even handle a Tic-Tac in my mouth for more than a few seconds, much less chew on it or swallow it.)

Face clensers with menthol stung, and also left my face feeling greasy.  But not in the haven't washed my face often enough way.

I don't know how much money I've wasted on cough drops/throat lozenges, chapstick, lotions, etc, only to discover after application that, you got, there is mint of some sort in it.  

And sadly, avoidance seems to have only made reactions worse.  Just the smell of other people's mints (breath mints, candy mints, peppermint sticks) makes me feel ill.  And the first time I consumed any in eight years, it was an accident, had half of a mint Brussells cookie, and a stomach ache for a good twenty minutes.

Anyone else here that *look* when you tell others you and mint don't get along?  Care to share your symptoms?  Your coping/mint alternatives?  

Tiffany
  • Mint Allergy (2 replies):
    Does anyone know about an allergic reaction after eating...[more]
  • Mint allergy (5 replies):
    For years I have suffered from instant headaches when my...[more]
  • mint allergy (1 replies):
    I touched spear mint and tried to clean it by my hands. ...[more]
  • Mints! (4 replies):
    everyone says that mint helps with headaches, if I have ...[more]
  • MINT ALLERGYS
    THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS YEAR MY EYE (LEFT) HAS SWOL...[more]
Hello My son goes into anaphalactic shock after consuming some mint this is still new to us and he is terified to consume anything mint Halloween is a nightmare i have to sift threw all his candy with a fine tooth comb he has no trouble with toothpaste though. we have just been avoiding mint alltogether.

Jessica
as for chapstick try Aveno's olive oil one its quite good and as far as i know has no mint in it avoid Burts bees it has plenty mint
Jessica
So nice to hear someone else is allergic to mint - thought it was just me.  What toothpaste have you found?  I have had a couple and then they stop making them and I am fed up.
I avoid all other kinds of mint in anything.
I am also allergic to mint, menthol, peppermint and spearmint.  It's a pain, it used to just cause my lips to swell but it can give me a rash and make me break out.  The toothpaste I use is Toms of Maine Silly Strawberry, it's the kids brand but it words well, they also make a lemon/lime mouthwash and I don't have a problem with it.
I'm so happy to know I'm not alone in my mint/menthol crisis. I am at a loss for advice though, I use the normal toothpaste and just avoid other mint products as best I can. I can ingest small amounts usually an be ok (like mint chocolate), but I can't have gum or breath mints without a sneezing fit and a stomach ache.
I don't have an allergy to mint, but as for the problems w/ dental products, try contacting your dentist office.  A lot of times, they carry in office special toothpastes, mints, gum & mouthwashes in multiple flavors, or they can order them for you.
Yea!  I'm alone!

Toothpaste I use is Desert Essence - usually the Nautral Tea Tree Oil with ginger.  Have to order it on line though, as its next to impossible to find.  
i started to react to mint a few years  ago(i had chewed mint gum for years). my first reaction was to a tooth pick from a chinese restaurant my lips swelled like a balloon where the toothpick was. you would not believe how many spices are related to mint,which i have not reacted to yet, such things like oregano go figure. i was using toothpaste with no mint,or so i thought, until my lips puffed up a bit. i keep benadryl in the house and have epi pens one at work an done at home but they only last like a year then you have to get new ones. i tried cinnamon tooth paste until recently as i react to that now been using baking soda but i like these other alternative toothpastes that you guys listed thanks. people don't think it is that hard to avoid mint but it is.
Thank goodness I am not alone.  I thought it was mental.  My throat burns if someone chews spearmint gum.  Even someone applying spearmint lip balm triggers a reaction. I can't go anywhere without ending up with a burning throat, post-nasal back drip, headache, and general malaise. There is a mint addiction out here! Now I found more people chewing gum or eating candy with higher concentrations of mint.  I can't go anywhere, yes anywhere at all.  I have had to rush out of the grocery store or even leave movie theaters because of this.  I only enjoy open areas like the park.  
i have been allergic to mint for 24 years, it iis very hard to deal with. it burns my skin and if i eat it i blow up like a blow fish and then go into anaphalactic Shock. If someone is eating mint around me, i start to get dizzy, and my skin goes red and i feel very sick.

it is very uncommon to be allergic to mint and alot of people don't believe you can be. but there are a few people out there.

good luck to you all
I am a 48 year old Male on November 11, 2008 and I never before had a mnt or salicitate problem, until now I belive anyway.  I went to the allergist because I indicated that the last two times I had mint I had a swollen lip and the secodn time was painful as my lower lip swelled and hardened.  I had to take benadryl both times.  Then last night I used sesodyne toothpaste tarter controlled with whitener.  My upper lip swelled a bit and I had to rinse immediately and go to bed in stress.  I woke up fine so it was only a small amount.

Then the other day the allergist told me she thought it was a nut allergy but I didnot buy it.  I said mint or sallicitate and she never had a patient for that.  I am scheduled to be tested July 29, 2008 for everything.

She indicated the tomato sauce I ate might have doen it as I had prego one night and home made the next.  Their were no nut ingredient at all in teh sauces and both times that evening I had mint gum or candy.  Three hours later swollen lip.

I was reading on web md what to stay away form and the list is very long.  I never had a fruit problem with such fruits as peaches and pears and berries except strawberries and grapefruit.  I have to stay away form them.

I love cinnnamin so I bought cinnamin toothpaste and mouth wash and removed the mint form the shower.

The final inidciation of mint problems is my sun tan lotion contains salicitate the main ingredient that the mint family is in.  My back of the legs were very ichy and irritated from the lotion, dry skin and the alow with menthol I put on afterwards.  

Does this sound like a mint or salicitate allergy?

Menthol is also a key thing with the mint family.  If you're having mint issues, avoid anything with menthol, where you can.
Wow! I didn't realize there was this many people with mint allergies. I have had a mint allergy for 28 years now and its getting worse as I get older (first it was the upset stomach, now its the throat swelling shut). It is getting increasingly harder to find toothpaste without some form of mint in it. My problem is that I don't know if it is only synthetic mint that I am allergic too or real mint as well. I can eat bee balm and basil without any problem, but I cannot even kiss my boyfriend after he brushes his teeth or my throat swells shut. Even the smell of mint gum makes me sick to my stomach.
I am a 50 male and I am also allergic to Mint.  Last year I told my doctor that I had trouble (short of breath) singing in church and at my singing lessons (I always did chew gum before church and before my lessons).  The problem would come and go. The doctor offered me an inhalant, which I refused.  Then I got tested for asthma (negative) and for allergies and nothing helped.  I did not want medications.  My wife noticed that every time I started chewing gum I would sneeze.  She suggested I stop chewing mint gum for a while.  I am a different person now.  I went back to the allergist and asked to be tested for mint and we got a positive.  The doctor’s comment was “first time in five years that I get a positive to mint.”  Well, he may not ever found another case of mint allergy because it is not in his “default” test repertoire, and people don’t even suspect it to request it.  Now I chew non-mint gum.  My favorite, Lime Blast.  When I go to the basement to play my guitar and sing, once in a while my children come down and offer me mint gum… I wonder why?

DC in BC
OK I'm finding that I'm not completely crazy! You all don't know how much comfort I've gotten from these posts!

My son (at the time 5 years of age) would periodically get itchy. It would start with his hands and feet or his face. Pretty soon the kid is covered in hives--it's so sad and he's completely miserable. Knowing what I know about allergies, I was sure it was something dietary. We would have to give him Benadryl and the itching would subside. This has happened maybe three times before we made connections. Each time it happened, we noticed he'd had a Halls cough drop. Bingo! No more of those, no more itching. Then one day he had a piece of gum. I began reading ingredients and the only connection I could make was either the "flavoring" or the mint/menthol connection. I thought it was the flavoring because his favorite icecream is mint chocolate chip and he eats it with impunity.

Today, I gave him a heavenly piece of my mint filled dark chocolate and guess what?? He got red and itchy--hives all over his face, cheeks etc. Back to the Benadryl and a complete and total ban of all things mint going into my baby's body.

The positive in all of this is that he recognizes that it's bad for him and makes him miserable, so he's willing to stay away from those things. Guess he's going to have to find another favorite icecream!

Cheers,
Heather
I had a cough drop in my mouth for bit of scartchy and itch throat when going to bed last night. Then I fell asleep with the cough drop in my mouth.

This morning, when I woke up, I had this painful, itchy. burning throat.
I thought I was going to have a cold, but there was no fever or any kinds of cold symtomps.

It is painful and my throat and even my heart is burning together. Is because of the menthol that the cough drop has or what...?

Thanks,
The worst are mint cakes. They make me so sick. I can't stand the insensitive people I work with who always seem to get a mint ice cream cake for every occassion! Whatever happened to plain old vanilla????
I'm 22 and have been allergic to mint for about 4 years. Whenever I consume or am in close contact with peppermint, spearmint, menthol, etc. my throat and ears burn and feel a little nauseous. I've never met anyone else with this allergy so i'm quite relieved to know there are others out there!

I use tom's of maine fennel toothpaste. it tastes like black licorice! tom's also has cinnamon, but that still tastes minty to me, as well as strawberry, which is too sweet for me. It's only like 5 or 6 bucks and you can buy it at trader joe's. even if i wasn't allergic to mint i would use this toothpaste-it's amazing! there are a ton of mint products out there but i always check the ingredients of chapstick, lotions and soap to make sure they are mint-free. i have to be careful with gum, too. most fruit-flavored  gum still has a bit of mint in it that i react to. the only ones i can have are juicy fruit and bubblelicious!
both me and my cousin have been allergic to mint for years now. i got me first reaction when i was six, and it has just gotten worse over the years. i tell my dentist about my allergy every time i go in. he has recommended paste only toothpastes that he offers. it doesn't taste all that great, but i have yet to get a reaction to it. as for sore throats, when i get them i suck on a dum dum lollypop and the soreness goes away for a while, and some times all together. i haven't yet though found a mouth wash that i don't react to. if any one knows any please post.
Try "Prevention"  Mouthwash

www.preventionlabs.com
So nice to hear that I am not the only one.  3 years ago during pregnancy I ate a peach (not a new food to me) and my face turned red and itchy, my mouth stung and my throat closed.  Within the next few months I was diagnosed with oral allergy syndrome: all tree born fruit except citrus, all nuts, the parlsey family (fennel, dill, carrots, celery, etc), and now the mint family.  First I reacted to rosemary in a bread then mint, then thyme.  Now I am mourning basil and oregano.  How on earth will I cook?  The mint in my Plaque rinse makes me break out.  I will try the toothpaste mentioned above as I am also allergic to strawberries.  Does anyone out there have a similarly long spreadsheet for the kitchen when you go out to eat?
When I eat certain foods, I haven't figured out what, I think mint, I get painful aches in my joints in my legs and I run a fever. It comes back about once a day for three days in lessening degrees each day and then vanishes. I thought for sure I was imagining the mint connection until after abstaining for almost a year from mint I thought oh why not, I'll have some minty chocolate crumbles on my dessert and sure enough by the next day I was in great discomfort in my legs and couldn't stop figgeting my legs. Strangely advil didn't work to get rid of fever leg aches. Maybe I should have used benedryl? Anyone else get achey (achy) legs and fever?
Orange listerine is good. I'm allergic to mint also and it never bothers me. Hope that helps.
I don't think I am allergic tehnically, but ever since I was little....I had mint girl scout cookies and threw up from them. Anything with mint....such as toothpastes, gum, etc I cannot use because I will gag in torment...it's so detestable to me. Even, when other people around me chew on mint gum...I start feeling sick by it! I have had to use fruit/bubblegum flavors for a long time! I was so angry when Crest discontinued Lemon Ice...it was the perfect thing for me because I never felt sick using it.
does anyone else have Oral Allergy Syndrome?  It is basically an allergy to profilin ( a birch pollen protein) but it is most obvious as an allergy to all non-citrus tree-borne fruit, the whole parsley family (carrots, celery, parsley, chives, fennel, dill), and  lots of "sensitivity groups" which can include many other groups like tropical fruit.  I'm curious because also being allergic to the mint family (includes basil and oregano, alas), I have found that many toothpastes contain xylitol which can be derived from either corn or birch.  I have only found 1 or 2 toothpastes that don't contain this.  Thanks.
Hey all, I am right there with you!!! My symptoms are rash on chest, CRAZY NAUSEA, migraines, and vomiting. LOTS o Fun! And yes, people dont believe you... they think it's funny to offer you mint gum or blow in your face... they order mint birthday cakes and mint ice cream :-) They dont understand that I cant be in the same room with it!! They think that just because I am not chewing it I am ok... i too have had to leave movie theatres, church, I have even had to relocate on an airplane. Everytime I fly i think "please no mint, please no mint, please no mint!!" I have had to leave small restaurants before too where an entire party of 8 people  shared a pack of mint gum :-(

Anyway, i dont blame the rest of the world, they really dont understand, i have even had dentist look at me like i was crazy! But I do wish the toothpaste industry would get a CLUE and offer more products... grown-ups like berry toothpaste too :-)

Oh, had my first reaction when I was 2 and my dad gave me a chewable pill for an upset stomach that was mint flavored. Remember that moment (it was horrible) like it was yesterday and that was 25 years ago!

Luckily the people around me have really come to respect my allergy... most people dont like the idea of me vomiting so that whips em into shape pretty quick :-)
hey everyone. sorry to hear about your allergies but i have found myself in a similar situation.

i am allergic to spearmint but not menthol or peppermint however i do sometimes make mistakes. my allergy to spearmint is getting progressively worse. it use to make my lips swell, make me cough and give me terrible stomach aches. that changed last Thursday when i thought i was brushing my teeth with peppermint toothpaste but it said "freshmint" which apparently means spearmint. my face and tongue swelled, i could not breath, struggled to stay conscious and could not feel my hands or legs (apparently that is to do with the lack of oxygen entering the body). i ended up in hospital. i can say my allergy is getting worse but i thought it was only me allegic to mint. Scary stuff.

i looked up the difference between spearmint and pepper mint to see why i only react to spearmint and they are both very similar plants but not exactly the same so not sure why im only allergic to one. hope this does not mean i will eventually be allergic to all types.

i am allergic to lots of other things, not to the extent of my mint allergy but i do have allergic reactions almost every day. also suffer from eczema and hay fever.

allergies are annoying and lots of people don't understand so i just want to say thank you for sharing and allowing me to share with you all my experience.
I spent  half an hour with the pharmasist today who went through toothplastes and other things trying to find out what had mint and what didn't.  There were several that didn't have mint as an ingredient but the pharmasist had used them and remembered the flavour of mint.  Finally we looked at each other and said, why not call the mfg's and ask them.  Well I called colgate and they only have one toothpaste that does not contain mint and that it the Childrens  Watermelon flavour.  I have several things that I still need to look into.  But the pharmasist also suggested something else I was looking for could be purchsed with a perscription.  If your not sure make sure you ask and keep looking and asking until you get an answer.

I have had several doctors tell me that you can't be allergic to mint.  But I did find out recently that if you are having your allergies tested mint is one, but it is on the end of a very long list.  It has to be specifically asked for.

I have had headaches and upset stomaches just from the smell of mint (and many other things like strong coffee, bacon and dark chocolate) since I was very little. Stomache aches, head aches and diarrhea.

I grew into an allergy of milk and eggs,  and apparently I may have grown out of it, but if I'm not feeling good to start with, it is wise just to stay away from them.  

About six years ago I was making Christmas cookies and decided to taste a candy cane pepermint cookie.  Well with in 30 seconds my face, neck and hands were swollen, my eyes and nose were nearly swollen shut and wouldn't stop running it was like full blown head cold in less than one minute.  It took 2 weeks to get it under control.

The next Christmas I tasted just a crumb and started to swell immediately, but I had the benelyn in my hand when I tried it and it took time but was under control alot faster.

Eleven days ago I had something that had mint in it by accident and a couple of hours later I was swollen more than usual.  I have several conditions that cause swelling and didn;t think much of it.  The next morning I was so swollen I couldn't walk and my hands were useless.  That was when I thought of the candy that had mint in it.  The doctor put me on large dose of reactin and it has helped somewhat, but what I didn't realise was that the lozengers I were using for my throat contained mint, When I brushed my teeth that afternoon my whole face swelled and my eyes started running.  The next day I tried just using my mouthwash, the same thing happened.  During this time my swelling was worse to the point where my skin was so tight on my legs that I couldn't bend them to go down the stairs.  My feet were so swollen that they had stretch marks.  It's gradually getting better,
It is unbelieveable just how may things have mint in them and how many things are related to the mint that could be harmful.
I would appreciate any information on products to use or even not to use as I am getting use to this allergy.
I, too, have an allergy to mint.  It started about 7-8 yeards ago after college.  I am a teacher and at the time was suffering terrible migraines.  At a work function that year, I figured it out, as the people on both sides of me were chomping on mint gum.  

For years I've had to make excuses to get away from people who are chewing mint gum while talking to me, or eating a mint falvored ice cream cone.  I hate it.  And you are all correct; they give you a look when you tell them you allergic to what is in their mouth.  They think you're making it up or you can't wait to get away from them.

Let me tell you, teaching kids who try to sneak in mint gum to your class is no walk in the park.  I can literally smell mint gum across the room and it has made me physically ill many times.  The kids thought it was a "neat trick" and tried to see if they could fool me.  It took getting violently ill to get the point across.

I am so sensitive that I can actually taste the mint that is in someone else's mouth...and for long periods of time.  I recently had to make an emergeny trip to the doctor because I was at a party where the caterer accidently put mint in the salad.  

My biggest problem is dealing with people who find the strongest mints/gum and then pass it out to all of their friends.  I'm to the point where I don't even care if I offend them by asking them to spit it out.  What do I have to do?  Carry a load of non-mint gum in my pocket as a trade for them having to get rid of a perfectly good piece of gum?  

I am glad I found this.  I can't tell you how lonely it has been.  Good luck to all.  :)
hey guys, I have a story for you guys. i'm oly 17 years old and have been allergic to menthol i think since i was 12 it may have been younger then that. but everytime i ingest menthol i get really sick i feel neasous i can't breathe which doesn't help my asthma, i can't use vicks products because it all contains menthol, i used the cough medicine one time and it cuased me to have a really bad nose bleed, i mean i soaked my blanket bad. i can't chew menthol gum i can't stand the smell of anything menthol because i get a migraine bad enough that i throw up and it puts me in bed for hours and still doesn't go away, i end up having to go to the hospital to get it to go away. as far as face washes go i haven't found a face wash yet that doesn't contain menthol in some form and even my cleanser now takes my breath away still.  toothpaste burns my mouth even colgate which has very little menthol still burns.
I saw a brand of toothpaste in the supplement store called Waleda.  This company comes from Germany.  They are even affordable.  I don't have a true allergy to mint, but I am a little bit sensitive to it myself.  Some days I can tolerate a little bit of mint.  Just having commercial toothpaste in my mouth will make me sick to my stomach.  I simply cannot tolerate commercial toothpaste, which led me to looking at what is available at the supplement store.  It seems that they have a few more options available than they used to.  And, what's nice about many of the natural brands is that they are getting the message that people are looking for products that don't contain Sodium Lauryl (Laureth) Sulfate (SLS) and flouride.  That said, I noticed that the Waleda brand has a formula that is labeled Calendula.  This is a flower that essential oils are extracted from that is known for being soothing to the skin.  I looked at the list of ingredients on this formula, and I didn't see any mention of mint of any kind.  What I saw in the list of ingredients is fennel.  If fennel is okay for you, then this formula might work for you.

Tom's of Maine has a fennel toothpaste, too, but most of their formulas still have SLS in them.  SLS is a known carcinogen, and it is irritating to the skin, so if you have sensitive skin, you'll want to avoid this ingredient.
OMG!  Yes, I have Oral Allergy Syndrome, too!  It's awful!  I can no longer use my favorite herbs to season my foods.  And, it's impossible to be a vegetarian with so many sensitivities to all those vegetables.  So many of the vegetables and herbs you mentioned are all in the same family.  I found out that I may also be allergic to something called mugwort, due to the latex allergy.  More than likely, you're also allergic to ragweed, since so many people are.  I never did think that chamomile had much flavor, but I discovered that it's just not worth drinking for me, because it will give me a migraine.  Echinacea, too, since it's a close cousin.

And, like you said, so many herbs that aren't called mint are still related to mint.  I love basil, but it doesn't love me back.  Not worth it.   When the co-workers are always bringing mint cakes for company parties,  that really is cruel.  I know those co-workers don't understand, but that doesn't mean that they should just bring something other people are allergic to just being in the vicinity of to the workplace.  That's not just showing a lack of understanding.  That's also just plain cruel.  Some people can die just by breathing in or coming into contact with just the smallest amounts of what ever the substance they're allergic to.  Maybe we don't go into anaphylaxis, but that doesn't mean we don't get sick or suffer.  I can sure understand what you mean with the co-workers only bringing mint cakes.  Not only can't you partake, but you have to leave the room, because the mint fills the air and makes you feel sick.  Maybe they think it's a joke, or they don't take it seriously if you're not getting anaphylaxis, but that's not funny at all.

I face a similar issue every time I leave my apartment or have to ride public transportation with many substances, because I have Multiple Chemical Sensitvity (MCS).  It's hard for me going to my congregation where I am surrounded by people who I would consider to be my friends, because so many of them KNOW I have allergies to perfumes and fragrances, but wear the stuff to our congregation anyway.  I sit in a separate room with a glass partition, so I can breathe and not get sick.  I also wear a filtration mask.  It's a similar issue to what leo421 faces when the co-workers insist on bringing mint cakes, because it involves substances I have to breathe in.  I don't just get asthma attacks from the stuff people wear, I get MANY other symptoms, like nausea, and will end up feeling sick for hours or even days after exposure.
I've been allergic to mint and mint relations ever since I was 5 and now I'm 22. You'd be suprised at how many things are related; laverder and sage are the worst for me after ANY type of mint, but the list also includes parsley rosemary tyme, and a few others. Because of the fact that mint is an oil the reactions tend to linger for a day or two for me. Even if there is only one person in an average sized room chewing a type of mint gum my throat closes up, I get nausea, headaces, I've even been known to pass out. Luckily I've learned the early symptoms and can generally get out of the situation before it gets really bad.

Currently I'm using kid's toothpaste. I carry gum around so that I can give it to my friends and classmates that are chewing mint gum and they cannot have any perfumes or lotions that have mint in them. I've had to train my boyfriend to switch toothpastes as well as gum and a few other things because my reactions are so bad. The only cough stuff that I have found is Triamenic and Ludens also a good alternitive are jolly ranchers or lollipops, just something that coat your throat. Just be careful with trying new stuff and make sure to read the ingredients, even tissues and tylanol have mint in the now.
My daughter (13) just had a severe reaction (hands/feet/lips swelling, hives).  She ate a candy cane about 1-12 hours before the reaction occured (she also had other items, but we are thinking it is the mint).  She had candy canes galore over Christmas w/o any problems.  I have 2 boys allergic to peanuts and another allergic to all dairy.  Could any of these be linked?  While I am not new to allergies, I am new to the whole "mint" allergy (of course, I sneeze when I eat mint).  I guess I will have to watch out for all things "mint" for her from now on?
I am allergic to spearmint too. Other mints bother me but spearmint is the worst and my reactions are getting stronger. I am glad I found this forum because I have never met anyone else allergic to mint before. My symptoms started about 7 ro 8 years ago. If someone in the room is chewing spearmint gum (Extra is the worst) my jaw tightens up and my eyes and mouth start watering and then I start getting very dizzy, can't think and then I start having trouble breathing. Has anyone found out what we can do to lessen the allergy or reaction we have?
I always knew I dislike mint, especially spearmint, but I never thought much about it.  About 20 years ago I accidentally swallowed a chocolate bonbon with mint cream filling in a party, and it made me throw up.  That was when my friend suggested that I didn't just seriously dislike mint, but I may be allergic to it.  I didn't take it very seriously because, after all, I could use mint toothpaste (as long as it isn't spearmint), like Colgate, and I could use cough drops that are kind of minty.  I spoke of my "allergy" to mint more as a joke (because no one has ever heard of it) than truth, until recently.

Yesterday morning I walked into our office break room to make a cup of tea, and noticed an open box of mint chocolate Girl Scout cookies.  The smell was offensive as usual but not too strong so I thought I'd just tough it out.  I finished cleaning my cup and got water from the hot water heater, put a tea bag in, and was out of there in no more than 2 minutes max.  Unfortunately, it was long enough that that my throat and lungs began to feel restricted and I had trouble breathing. I gradually started feeling faint and lightheaded and had to go home.  The worst symptom went away in the afternoon, but I still feel light-headed and weak today.

This is the 2nd time I experienced a "real" reaction from breathing in mint, and I finally realize food allergy can come from not just what I eat but what I breath. Whatever it is food manufacturers put in mint-flavored treats to make the smell carries for miles can easily be the death of me.  My husband and I both love murder mysteries, and I told him it'd be very easy to stage an accidental death for me - just lock me in a room or an elevator with a plate of mint cookies, and you got "Death by Girl Scout Cookies" - LOL!

I have an appointment to see my physician about available treatments for emergencies; I don't like drugs but I want to be prepared if ever something like this happens again.  
I also have very bad reactions to any mint products, anaphalactic shock, lips and gums swell. I carry an allergy kit containing an epi-pen, aspirin and Benadryl.  It is true poeple do not believe it.  There is a site called Dentist.net witch carries mintfree toothpaste.  Good luck everyone who suffers from this.  It is a mint-filled world!
Tinygoof
Wow, this is interesting. I'd never heard of an allergy to mint, until recently. My mom has had a problem for a few years with green or blue mint toothpaste leaving a rash around her mouth. (Oddly enough, the white is no problem...)
For the past couple months her one eyelid has been twitching almost contantly. She didn't even think to associate it with mint, even though she has a cup of mint tea every morning. For a few days last week, she happened to not have any tea, and noticed that her eye was fine. Still not putting the two together, she made herself a cup the other day, and as soon as she smelled it, her eyelid started going again. It was the weirdest thing.
This seems different from the other usual reactions to me. Anybody ever heard of this??
Thank god I'm not alone! Family have always told me to stop being so dramatic and just deal with it. But just the smell of any kind of mint makes me feel ill and if I consume it I will BE ill. It's horrible, disguisting stuff. When I was a kid I used to say I'd brushed my teeth when I hadn't because of it, but in the end just started brushing my teeth without toothpaste (it is a miracle that, at 24, I'm the only person in my family without any dental work!).
A couple of years ago I found a Colgate toothpaste that doesn't have any particular smell or taste and have kept that well in stock ever since. As for mouthwash, I'm at a loss. Because i'm not "consuming" it, it's the smell that's the problem and by the time I spit I'm gagging.
My family aren't particularly helpful when, in the car, they have a breath mint, tic-tac or gum. The place immediately stinks and, in childlike protest, I'll open the window and stick my head out (obviously, checking for dangers first) but that usually gets them to stop.
My dentist took me by suprise when, a couple of visits in, she announced she'd ordered some non-mint toothpaste! Very happy with her for that.
I don't drink because of my epilepsy, mint makes me ill and I can't mix foods together -apparently I'm high maintenance!!
Thanks guys! I too thought I was alone. My symptoms are nowhere near as severe as some that have been posted, but my sensetivity to mint is having a knock on effect on my health in other areas-namely my teeth. My tongue and mouth burn so badly when I use mint of any kind; plain,spear,arrow or peppermint (I'm not too sure about menthol) that I cannot face brushing my teeth anymore. First it burns badly then my mouth fills up with the same saliva you get just before you're sick - that type of saliva I have since found out is there to PROTECT your teeth from stomach acid during vomiting.
I live on a small island called Shetland in the UK and don't have very much choice in toothpastes (or anything else to be honest) and am worried about my teeth. I brush them with water only and I know that can't be getting them totally clean. Please could someone suggest an alternative toothpaste, one I could purchace online?
Thanks.
Tom's of Maine has some children's toothpaste that is not mint.  If fennel isn't a cross reaction for you, they have an adult toothpaste with fennel in it.  Waleda is a German company that sells its products in the U.S. and Canada.  I can't use the one that I mentioned in a previous post myself, because it turns out that I'm far more allergic to calendula (related to marigolds) than I am to mint.  A friend of mine still just uses baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to brush her teeth.  She also uses food grade hydrogen peroxide as her mouthwash.  Since mint isn't an issue for her, she said that she will use mint oil on her toothbrush, but I know that one doesn't have to use any essential oils at all.  I've used just the baking soda myself and have discovered that this is a good option for dental hygeine when mint is such an issue.  The baking soda really will freshen breath and clean one's teeth.  It's the best alternative I've found for myself, since I have allergies to additional ingredients other than the mint.  I'm not fond of the taste of the baking soda, but it really will work.
Wow. I am amazed to learn how serious this issue is for some people.  I am 44 and just recently began telling people that I am allergic to mint because that seems to help them believe this is real for me.  My condition started as a child; I remember brushing my teeth was a real torture for me and my parents just thought I was being difficult.  As a youth my siblings enjoyed pinning me down and breathing mint on me - one time my parents were in the room and they just watched and everyone laughed.  The smell, taste, and touch of mint on my skin makes me gag, my eyes water, and skin burn. I am so glad to know that I am not alone and that this is not something in my head as most people believe it to be.  I had to educate my Dentist and her staff that all mint had to be removed from the room - they even use mint infused gloves there.  I plan to copy all of your wonderful comments and present them to my family, friends, and dental office.  The best comment on here was the "death by girl scout cookies" I laughed so hard since it could be true for me. Time to advocate for a mint-free society!!  The only mint related product that I use and that I can barely tolerate is my toothpaste - ultrabrite.........I've been too scared of gagging more to try anything else, but I plan to try some of the suggestions offered here.  At my dentist office, I have them specially mix plain pumice and water - a bit gritty, but it beats having a reaction in the chair.
Where was this when I needed this information?  Oh that was about 40 years ago and the internet didn't even exist.  I am now wearing full dentures and am still having problems with unexpected mint exposure.  Dentists use a lot of products that have mint, but it isn't listed as an ingredient so they are unaware that it is there.  I don't have a lot of problem with skin irritation, instead I have a problem with basically being a zombie after an exposure to mint.  Is there any way to make sure that mint is listed as an ingredient if it is there?
does anybody have any suggestions on how to help my boyfriend quit smoking menthol ciggarettes? please help
Do Not Use Baking Soda as tooth paste. Baking Soda actually can cause more damage by corroding your teeth. Just find a good tooth paste product that you are not allergic to Amazon.com has many. Unless of course you want to have dentures in a few years then go on use the baking soda, and enjoy the pain.
I'm so glad it isn't just us!  My father and I are both extremely turned off by mint...and I was that way and never met him until I was 9.  Kinda points towards genetic factors, because my mom had no problem, and always ate mints around me and such, but when I finally met my dad he also had the aversion.  My teachers at grade school would always give mints out as prizes for different things, and I would always fake a appreciative smile then give mine to someone else.  

My little sisters are 100% biological, same mother and father, but they have no problems...they try to eat mints in my car, and I have to remind them "PLEASE DON'T!!!", because  it generally ends up in all the windows being rolled down and possibly in the delay of me pulling over to get fresh air.  The aroma makes me violently nauseous and dizzy, and makes me gag...I have to avoid toothpaste with it, lipgloss, et cetera.  
I have finally started using Crest Cinnamon...it isn't too strong on the cinnamon, and kinda plain, but it beats the heck outta mint!!!  My boyfriend even suggested that my mint aversion is in my head...I don't particularly care, because biological or mental, me+mint= VERY UNHAPPY no matter what.
Hi PLEASE READ THIS IT WILL HELP
3 years ago I started having serious symtoms (symptoms), nausea, pain and ringing in the ears, fainting, my face was constently swollen to the point where I did not recognise my self anymore.
I went from doctor to doctor, at the end one said well maybe it is phsycological so I even went to therapy... what a waste of time.
and then one doctor said you have allergies, so I started the testing and nothing. A couple of weeks ago I had a mint tea, wow swelling breathing problems ....i finally made the connection, I then thought I am allergic to mint. But No its not the mint it is a naturally produced substance found in all kind of fruits, herbs and vegetables called SALICYLATE. So its not mint its SALICYATE and from what I understand its not called an allergy but an intolerence, the difference being that it builds up in you and then you get the reaction when the body has too much.
Have a look on the web you will find a lot of information.
I hope that this helped and good luck.
Alexandra
So glad to find this thread - my son is going to public school for the first time this year and no one thinks about mint as an allergen!  Peanuts, yes, but mint?  I am having to inform all of them and finally I have some validation that vomiting can indicate an allergy - it isn't always breaking out or sneezing or your throat closing.  Good luck to all of you and thanks for sharing!  I'll check out the salicylate stuff, too...
Sue
You are not alone!!! I have been allergic to mint for most of my life!!! & any type of mint makes me go into anaphalatic shock... great or what!!!
From tic tacs to tooth paste - anything that has mint in my body hates it!!!!

You said that you couldnt find a toothpaste that hasnt got mint in it.. DO you like aniseed??? my toothpaste has no mint/type of mint in... it is aniseed flavour.. Not nice but its better than nothing...

i cant even stand with my friends who smoke menthol cigerattes.. It makes me go all wheezy....

I am so glad that i my friend told me to look into this, as i thought i was on my own.. Plus becuase it is a wierd allergy everyone takes the mick out of me.... So glad i found this site....

I also have a severe allergy to mint and eucalyptus.  My eyes swell, my throat closes, I get bad hives, etc.  There have only been a few incidents where it has really been a bother (I have learned to deal with no gum or regular toothpaste) and one of them happens to be at work.  My boss (even though I have told her about my allergy and how the smell triggers a reaction) insists on drinking mint tea daily.  It's making me unable to come to work and she still does it.  Any ideas as to what to do to help this issue?

Have you had a reaction when she has been around to her tea??? Does she realsie how bad your reactions are??? You need to make her understand that anything can trigger a reaction off... If she doesnt listen then go above her head.. When you have an allergy and anything at work makes it worse they need to deal with it...

In my old job my boss made me a cup of tea, but didnt wash the cup out before and someone had mint tea in it, and i had a full reaction... after that she never made me a cup again...

At the end of the day your life is in her hands... she needs to understand the seriousness of it..

Hope this helps....
Unfortunately, I have had a reaction around her, multiple times, and I have talked to her about the seriousness of the allergy multiple time.  I am almost certain she is trying to get me to quit so she doesn't have to pay unemployment.  I just have no idea what to do and I am about at the end of my rope.
Then if that is the case you can report her.. GO over her head....

If you have any type of allergy then/ or medical problem then they have to take it seriously.. The best thing is to get your works policy on discrimination.. because thats what they are doing by ignoring your allergy....

Keep your chin up and keep going!!! just make sure you know your rights....
For years my favorite candy was peppermint patties. I love the cool refreshing flavor. But some thing happened about 6 years ago, I had a Alpine mint and got sick. Really sick. Well a few days ago I was not thinking I had one chocolate covered Lindt candy. I spent the next 6 hours in the bathroom trying to get it out of my system. I finally started drinking warm vinegar water. And managed to get past the point of vomiting or the feeling of it.
I do not understand how you year you can eat something and everything is fine and then bang your allergic. This has happened to several other food groups to me as well. I grew up drinking milk and now I am completely lactose intolerant as well. And shellfish. I love crab meat but now it too is in the allergic category for me.
To me it feels more like food poisoning. An I guess that what it is becoming. It has become almost imposable to go out to a restaurant and eat with out becoming sick. One place restaurant told me they did not use any milk or have and seafood. Well I got a simple meal, I made it out of the place after eating about 4 steps and returned the meal in the bushes in front of the place. I did not want to do that, but my body said nope this is not the food for you. There was no way I could have made it to the restroom. I was sick for days. Come to find out one of the employees had cooked some crab patties for someones birthday. the pan was not washed out before cooking my meal. The manager of the place did refund my money and told me I could eat free next time. But my shadow will not darken their door way ever again . Oh well food allergies ..............    
I'm 16 years old and I got a bad cold about a week ago. My mom got me cough drops and after I ate one, I broke out in hives for the first time in my life. I didn't connect the cough drop with my hives I just thought it was a rection to a bug bite, but later that night I had another cough drop and I broke out in horrible hives all over my body again, even worse than before. So then I thought to myself ok, it must be from the cough drops. So I stopped eating them but the night after that I ate a candy cane. So am I allergic to mint? About 4 hours later and THE HIVES ARE BACK. I was looking around the internet and I could not find anything about mint allergies until I saw this site. I can see that hives are a symptom with some people so it can be a possibility. But I'm scared, are my reactions going to get worse?
This is just crazy! I have been telling people for awhile now that I think that I have an allergy to mint because the smell and taste is just unbearable! The odd thing is is that Spearmint is the ONLY mint I can handle, all other mints make me sick to my stomach and make my body cramp up, I feel tired and weak and my jaw tightens. That I have noticed though, my lips don't swell up and I don't think that my throat does either BUT for the past couple of years now, I have broken out in hives like crazy and always wondered what it was! My toothpaste makes me sick to my stomach but I have just dealt with it and find myself in this bad habit of spitting for hours after I brush my teeth so as to get it out of my mouth. When I do tell people that I can't handle the smell of their gum or candy they too give me that "look" like that I am this big hypochondriac but in fact, the symptoms of this mint allergy are the ONLY thing that I ever complain about! Also, I have been having MAJOR leg pain for the past couple of years and am wondering if it is directed towards this allergy or whatever you would like to call it, someone mentioned above that they have had leg cramping so it is strange. It's awesome to have found this website though and to know that I'm not alone!
also allergic to mint and am using Nature's Gate Cherry flavored gel toothpaste
I have the opposite allergic reaction.  It started/developed when I was around my late teens/early twenties.  I am not 30.  I cannot ingest anything with spearmint.  If I do, my lips immediately swell up and my throat itches and then closes shut.

People always make fun when I say that I am allergic to spearmint (especially when they offer gum, and I have to ask what kind).  It's such an odd allergy - even an allergist I went to a few years ago said they could not test for it.

Today, after I showered I put on my deodorant (Old Spice Red Zone stick) which I have been buying for several years, and my armpits immediately turned red all around and they itched severely.  I am not sure what's in it, but I may have developed a new allergy...very odd.

it's good to know that there are other ppl out there with this kind of allergy and that I am not crazy :)

--Thiago
I am in Jamaica.  I have had mint allergy all my life.  Thought I was the only one until I googled "mint allergy" this morning 1st march 2010.  been living with it for 44 years.  I don't use toothpaste of any kind.  Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) has to do. The smell of mint makes me nauseous.  it is torture riding public transportation, being in close spaces or being in the house when my family is using toothpaste.  Most people are shocked at my reactions to mint.  Kissing a girl who has just "freshened" the mouth with mint is not on for me!
I finally realized the breakouts all over my face, neck, chest and back (I am 42 and couldn't believe my skin) may be related to a mint allergy.  I have given up all menthol, peppermint, mint, spearimint, etc.  in food, toothpaste and cosmetic items and already feel like a new person.  I think my allergy/sensitivity to mint was also draining my energy.  I loved Burt's Bee's lip shimmers, but they are loaded with peppermint oil.  Looking for the right toothpaste and am realizing how hard it is to find one.  Thanks to everyone who has given suggestions.  It is really good ton know I am not aloone
I am in grade 6 and i have had a mint allery for 6 years. one day a kid in my class brought in a mint scented marker and i went into anafilactic shock my toung swells and my throught closes up. Im glad to know im not the only one and the toothpaste i use is wild expressions bursting bubblegum, i know its for kids but it works.
I could not believe my eyes when I saw this message board talking about mint allergies. I literally thought that I was the only one who had a bad reaction to mint. Most of the symtoms (symptoms) discribed in this conversation, the gagging reflex, it triggers my asthma, I get flushed, sometimes I have hives and itching around my mouth and inside my mouth. Just knowing that this is not some strange thing that only happens to me helps me deal with this a lot better. I also have a suggestion to those who are looking for a toothpaste and mouthwash. I use Lavoris (cinnamon only) toothpaste and mouthwash, no mint at all is added to this product. It has really been helpful. I find my stash at Big Lots and discount stores. Maybe we should all write the company to make sure that they continue to make this product!!!
I just learned I am allergic to mint the hard way (after drinking a Mojito with lots of fresh mint leaves) I went into anaphalactic shock and had to be rushed to the hosp.  I never want to go through that again!  Unfortunately I love mint and this will be a big lifestyle change.  It's very encouraging to read other experiences with this ailment.
i've been dealing with my mint allergy for yrs and i cant be around any type of mint if  intake any mint i cant breathe my lungs automaticly feel like they are closing it is really scary .i get really nausated if i even smell mint. i thought i was alone in this im so glad im not. i have to be careful with everything.
As for toothpaste, I found that Colgate watermelon is great and has no mint/menthol, but avoid the strawberry at all costs. That bottle is full of lies.
Salicylate intolerances are common, yes.  However, when one can take aspirin (acetylsalicylate acid) and have no issue with it, and can consume almost anything else that is not in the mint family without same reactions - one must assume these mint reactions are something other than salicylate sensitivies.  I have tested positive for a sage allergy - sage and mint are in the same family.  Touching the mint plant gives me welts; I do not get that reaction from non-mint plants.  I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe one can have a salicylate reaction to only one source of the chemical and no other.
WOW!! I am allergic too! I have different reactions at different times ranging from blisters on my skin to my throat closing. I am also allergic to all the spices related to mint:( I love spaghetti, but can't hardly eat it without severe consequences. It's so nice to not be alone:) Alot of people look at me like I'm a freak when I ask them to spit out there mint gum. The very smell of it and I gasp for air! I say we all band together and get the toothpaste companies to make a mint-free product!!
Wow, I seriously can't believe how many people are allergic to mint.  Up until now, I thought I was the only person in the world lol.

I have a very very mild case of mint allergy compared with everyone here.

Mint simply makes me light headed, the stronger the smell of mint the more my head spins.

The head spinning has always put me off consuming mint and I noticed it doesn't matter what type of mint or what form it is in, it makes me dizzy.  And sometimes my stomach feels empty.

I can't use mouthwashes, cough drops (I remember this ONE with a beautiful flavor which had NO mint in it that I used when I was younger and unfortunately I haven't been able to find it since).  Toothpaste is horrible and I've tried the Colgate's watermelon flavored toothpaste for kids - so terrible I actually switched back to the mint kind lol.

The best toothpastes for me (since I just can't find non-mint flavored ones) are the ones that are plain white with no blue or green or red colored strips.. those are impossible to use.  Funnily enough I can have and still love the orange flavored tic tac's and I even made a cordial from oranges and real mint.. with no reaction at all.

However mint gum chewers are the WORST!! I hate them lol.  Yeah, my friends think its funny to share around their mint gum and blow in my face.... that is great fun.

I think my problem may be more with the smell.  I'm super sensitive to vapors.... but I do get light headed, etc when I consume anything that has that minty taste!

Oh worst shopping mistake.... mistaking normal peas for the mint flavored ones -_-
Anything mint whether consumed or topical (even some ginger tea I had) and I immediately start sneezing constantly non-stop for at least 12 hours. It's crazy. I suspected it and now I know it's the mint. Thanks everyone for all the info.
I've been allergic to the mint family since I was born.  And since I'm also allergic to cinnamon and fennil, Oral care has always been one of the bigger issues to deal with.  I've been using kids toothpaste for a long time but my dentist and I are both on the hunt for an adult product I could use since adult products have higher flouride levels.  The straight paste is an option but it tastes awful.  I'll check out the products other people have posted to this thread.  If anyone else has ideas on products to try, I'd love to hear them.
My first problems with mint happened around 4.5 years ago when I was pregnant.  Before then I cannot recall ever having issues with mint other than too strong of a scent would give me a headache.  During my pregnancy I found that the scent of mint would make me nauseous and eventually my head would not only hurt a little but throb.  At the time I was using mint toothpaste and I could not pinpoint why my throat constantly felt like sandpaper.  Finally I started realizing every time I would have a mint or piece of gum that the symptoms would worsen.  Now being anywhere near a mint plant makes my throat tighten and everything I buy for toothpaste to gum is all cinnamon now.  My sister has similar symptoms with mint.  When you tell someone you are allergic to mint, their first reaction is like wow, that is weird.  But I am glad to know there are others.  Dont feel so freakish now
I don't really think I have an allergy to mint, more of a high sensitivity. Anything minty (mint, spearmint, peppermint, etc.), makes me gag, and want to throw up. I am almost 15 years old and ever since I can remember, I have had this reaction to mint. I can't have mint toothpaste, mouthwash, bubble gum, candy canes, anything! Even the smell just makes me gag. My best friend is the same way, but with cinnamon. So when I'm at her house, I cant have anything with cinnamon. And that's the only kind of toothpaste I use. The only thing "minty" that I can tolerate is mint and chip ice cream. I don't know why, and I don't want to question it.  :D  The sad thing is, I got this prescription mouthwash (mint) from my dentist, and I have to take it once a day, for two weeks, and I can't rinse my mouth out afterward. So every five minutes, I gag. I looked up what other things have mint ingredients in them, and I can have those just fine. It's just mint I can't stand. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is having similar problems.
Its nice to know I'm not crazy. I am an avid gum chewer and peppermint has never bothered me, but if I have a drink with mint in it or one drag from a menthol cigarette, my throat swells, I get cold sweats, and get incredibly nauseous. Is it possible to only be allergic to spearmint and menthol and not peppermint?
Thank God! Someone else!  I've had to start telling people I don't like the smell or taste of mint because they don't believe me when I say I'm allergic.  It triggers horrible migraine headaches, the smell and the taste.  My family and friends all think I'm faking it for attention and will take it upon themselves to "test" me by eating something mint around me and see if I react.  Of course, I always do, but yet they still doubt.  It's really frustrating!  I know what you're going through!

I use the Crest Citrus Splash because it's the only one I found until this forum.  Now i have other ideas of what to use because the Crest is still slightly minty and I get a headache every time I brush my teeth.  But the Silly Strawberry Banana by Tom's is still really chemically tasting and it's bland. The rest I have yet to try--seems like i have a shopping trip on my list today! :)

Thanks Everyone and I'm so glad you're out there!
Erikka
I developed a mint allergy a few years ago... I thought it was just my toothpaste at first because I would get sores in my mouth and the sides of my mouth would split.  Then I started getting nauseous when I would chew mint gum or eat mint candy.  Then I started breaking out from chapsticks, face washes, shampoo, body wash, etc.  I get hives and my throat swells if i consume any mint.  Most people don't believe me when I tell them I'm allergic to it until I accidentally come in contact with it.  Just the smell of mint/menthol makes me sick and itchy.  I have found numerous toothpastes without mint with lemon, grape, watermelon, bubble gum, orange, cinnamon, and apple flavors.  My favorite is GO SMILE because it is whitening as well and lemon or apple flavored.  As for chapsticks I use Nivea a Kiss of Smoothness.  It is the ONLY one I have found that doesn't break me out.  Be careful about body/face washes, lubricants, condoms, shampoos, and even makeup because I've found out the hard way that alot of them contain menthol.  Covergirl cosmetics all have menthol.. anything that is "tingling, warming, etc" contains it as well.  The only cough drops or throat lozenges I have found are Halls Breezers and Ludens Throat Lozenges.  Orbit gums all have mint as well.  Their flavors are BubbleMINT, CinnaMINT, etc.. It was my favorite gum too :-(  And always keep some benadryl with you as well... just in case.  
And I thought I was the odd one out!  So I'm not a freak after all.  I don't think I'm physically allergic to mint, I just hate the smell of mint, spearmint (in particular), peppermint, etc it makes me feel sick - I can smell it a mile off.  For years I've been using baking soda to brush my teeth, I wish there was an alternative but even the so called non mint toothpastes seem to hide something sinister in them.  My children both tease me about it and deliberately chew gum in my car, I make them open the windows and tell them to face the open window.  Even my poor husband goes to bed without cleaning his teeth - it must be love!!  Dentists don't understand, I'm not afraid of the dentist just the horrible smell when you go in their surgery.  Watching a scene on the TV where someone is cleaning their teeth and then goes to kiss their partner makes my stomach turn.
I first noticed a problem after trying a spearmint toothpaste.  The tip of my tongue went numb and got little white spots for three days.  The same thing happened with wintermint flavored toothpaste.  Interestingly, peppermint does not cause me any problem.  I figured it was some chemical flavoring compound used for some of the mint flavors.

The worst I've ever experienced is still on-going.  I tried cinnamon gum.  For four days alternate portions of my mouth have been either numb or burning.  Right now the tip and back of my tongue is burning, my gums are burning, and there seem to be little blisters on the inside of my lip.  I'm hoping tomorrow I will wake up pain free.
I also have what I would say is an aversion to mint products (rather than an allergy). Just the smell of it makes me feel really sick and I havent been able to use any mint products (i.e. mint toothpastes, food, bath products smelling of menthol, chewing gum, mouth washes etc) for over 15 years. When I have found mint in my food accidentally (i.e. in curries and things) I have been violently sick afterwards. It is a bit of a nightmare but there are now a lot more non-mint/menthol toothpastes out there - I know that Asda and Tesco both do strawberry toothpastes which dont smell of mint at all - designed for children but with floride which are fine for teeth (I have checked with a dentist on this).  And yes like in some of the posts on this page, there have been many times where I have been trapped in a small carriage on a train with people eating mint sweets or in a small meeting room where I have felt terrible and needed to vomit because of the smell. Not easy! You are definately not alone!
I thought I had burning mouth syndrome but it turned out I had a mint allergy to all things in the mint family, which includes a ton of Italian herbs.  If I stay away from it and people with mint I am fine but I carry two epi pens just incase because I will swell and it is very dangerous.

Glad to know I am not the only one out there.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euthymol-2618148-Original-Toothpaste-75ml/dp/B000KU720Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305760467&sr=1-9

no mint!!
Has anyone found a GOOD teeth whitener (that you can use at home) that wouldn't affect you? I share the allergy/irritation but every teeth whitening kit I've ever seen has mint flavoring...I hear GREAT reviews on the GLO Brilliant system I found at Sephora, but it is mint flavored as well.
WOW!  Unbelievable.  I thought I was alone too....what an amazing discovery!  

Definitely allergic to mint and adverse to LAVENDER too, but just discovered on wikipedia that there is a common chemical called Linalool that probably is my biggest problem.  I also have a smaller similar reaction to basil, oregano, and sage, which are also in the same family of 4-sided stem plants.  

Limonene and Salicylate are also found in mint, but I don't think they are as much of an issue for me.  The other products that include them don't seem to cause me problems.

When I smell Lavender, it smells to me like the worst chemical in the world, like turpentine, not pleasant and soothing at all, like it's supposed to be.  And I can't stand the smell of Bergamot Tea.  Does this happen to other people too?

Regarding toothpaste, after years of going into the bathroom and sneezing, and getting rid of anything with perfume, and noticing my gums felt swollen after brushing my teeth or drinking mint tea, I learned about 20 years ago that people can be allergic to mint, but never knew of anyone else until now.  

So, I've experimented with different brands already mentioned above, but the best one for me that I didn't see above is Nature's Gate Wintergreen Gel toothpaste.  I don't know if people realize this, but WINTERGREEN IS A DIFFERENT PLANT AND SPECIES FROM MINT, even though it is used in similar products.  But, you have to be careful, if it says "wintergreen mint," it might have both ingredients.

The other product people might want to be aware of is:

Chloraseptic Allergen Block Gel made by Medtech Products
www.AllergenBlock.com

It's expensive to purchase, but I only use a tiny amount under my nose now and then, if I'm going to be exposed to mint at a large social gathering, like a concert, movie theatre, or other activity where you're close to someone, like dancing, where a lot of people chew mint gum or suck on mint lozenges.  That's my biggest problem!

When I'm exposed to mint/menthol odors, my eyes tear, my throat tightens, sometimes I wheeze, my eyes itch, my nose runs an itches, I sneeze, get a headache, nausea, and generally feel anxious and uncomfortable.  I also have eczema, mostly on my palms, but think it's from other foods and soap allergies.

Last year, my dentist bought these new green non-latex gloves and I kept smelling mint and had a reaction.  Come to find out, the manufacturer had the image of a mint leaf on the box, but no mention of the word mint on the packaging, so they called to complain and found out they were mint-scented gloves.  Crazy!

I've tried alternative allergy treatments, like NAET and a special liquid concoction made from mint, but neither has worked.

I agree that mint is over-used in products and I don't get it.  Now that I see mint allergies are more prevalent than I thought, why aren't manufacturers being more careful?

Lisa, RN
USA
SLS is NOT a carcinogen (nor is it's cousin SLES).  That was a false rumor that spread in the 70s because it was listed as a "health risk" on the don't-sue-us-because-it's-America warning label.  This health risk, specifically, is diarrhea.  (Obviously you shouldn't -eat- toothpaste and things like shampoo that contain SLS/SLES.)

That's like that rumor of deoderant causing cancer.  (Also false, fyi... especially since not all deoderant/antipersperants even use the same chemical/s.)

I'm sure you can look up all of the above and find it to be correct on any REPUTABLE scientific website.  Extra emphasis on "reputable scientific."  Or, you know, you could just learn some biochemistry.
I am allergic to mint, and i can't find any toothpaste that doesn't leave my mouth feeling like it needs to be washed out with water mulitple times. Does anyone have anything that isn' t childs toothpaste that doesn't taste awful.
FINALLY someone else!! lol  My mouth goes numb aswell, but i dont get nausious. Instead my entire body feels like it was rolled around in poison ivy. FML. i get INSANE itchy ALL. OVER. i have learned to cope and ignore it for the most part (over the years) cause i would end up scratching so hard id bleed. the effect only takes place for an hour or so. not too serious. but JESUS! i cnt stand the itch. drives me crazy.

I went to an allergist about 20 years ago with hives.  I found out it was a complex allergy.  If I ate mint with either ibuprofen or some red or yellow food dyes I can break out in hives.  It is easier to avoid mint and I try to.  Toothpaste is the worst.  All Crest toothpaste has some mint in it.  You can usually call a company hot line and ask if the product your interested in contain mint.  It is a straight forward questions they can answer.
Thanks to you now I know why the smell and eating Wintergreen does not make me sick, but other "Mints" do. The smell of mint makes me want to vomit.
I am sooo allergic to mint :S I always though I was the ONLY one in the WORLD xD ..... I am finding so much trouble dealing with people chewing gum EVERYWHERE!! I can't stand the smell, the taste or toothpastes.... I just wish I could find an appropriate toothpaste for my allergy. I don't think I would, because I am actually living in Egypt and I guess not much pole r facing my same problem. I HATE that my teeth need more care, but it's all not my fault. I was I could have normal teeth. I should put on braces soon, and I heard that I should be brushing my teeth after every meal, so that food doesn't get stuck to the braces. But I reached an extent of sometimes using soap instead of toothpaste. :S ... I don't know how I can manage.
I forgot to mention, that when I just smell tiny amount of mint a couple of meters away, my stomach immediately turns upside down.. And I feel like I need to throw up :S
my husband is highly allergic to mint. Took his parents forever to figure out what was wrong with him. They found a tooth paste for him that he still uses Close-up and they make a mouth wash to that is cinnoman. Hope this helps. I have several other things that you can use as a alternative just ask!
close up is a great one and they make mouth wash. walmart sells the tooth paste and so does family dollor. family dollor sells the mouth wash.
where were you able to find this product. It appears one must send away for it. I also found a notice that said company no longer made it. But who is the manufacturer of it? I am wondering if I can find it if it will help w/ the chemical sensitivities I have which effect my airway.
Thank God! I'm not the only one!
The only reaction I get is when I ingest mint. The smell doesn't get to me. I definitely have the stomach ache if I eat it, I also get dizzy, nauseous and even groggy.
I learned about my allergy from my mom giving us peppermints or candy canes,when we were little, if our stomachs hurt. It always made mine feel worse.
I've never been to the hospital for it and actually was officially diagnosed as allergic only last year (I'm 25 now). But I have found that if I eat something else right after, then I feel a bit better.
Also, I was reading another website on mint allergies, and saw that most commonly it is the "mint flavorings/derivatives" that cause the most reactions. Very seldom is it actual, natural mint itself. This makes sense to me, anyone else?
Yay! I'm not the only one. I am allergic to mint. I use cinnamon tooth paste and rarely use mouth wash because of it. My friends and boyfriend are always making fun of me, thinking I just don't like it, and so they trick me into eating minty things without realizing it hurts! I like the freshness it makes my mouth feel, but it makes my tongue burn and swell!
I also have an allergy to mint.  My symptoms are a bit different.  I used to get angry.  Very, very angry.  It seemed to have no cause.  I was almost to the point of seeking couch time.  Then my wife witnessed an incident in a doctors office.  The poor kid they had to carry out off the office, in restraints, had just reacted to an allergy test containing mint.

Right then I decided to ditch mint in all forms.  I am now sublime and relaxed most of the time.  My teeth are rotting as I can't stand the Cinnamon (which is not real Cinnamon in any case) or the Fennel.
I am not sure if I am allergic to mint but I just might be. For the last 3 years if I use colgate toothpaste sparkling white, my mouth goes numb.
I also have this reaction if I take Zantac or Prevacid for more than 3 days in a row. I can only use Prilosec for my stomach problems...
Glad to know I am not the only one with these kinds of problems.
im the same way any kind of mint will make my thoat swell shut i cant touch,eat,breath,ect every kind of mint and mint is EVERYWHERE its so annoying i have to use children toothpast and read EVERYTHING before i buy it,use it,touch it,eat,ect and i have to carry a ipy pen with me at all times just in case i go somewhere and breath in,touch,eat,use,ect any kind of mint
so i tried icebreakers for the first time and 2 hours later my mouth had lost some layers to it and it developd blisters and it doesnt matter if it is mint or fruity do you know what i may be haveing an allergy too oh btw im 17.
Thank you!!! I'm 17 and have always believed I'm allergic to mint but everyone just thinks its kind of silly. Thankfully I've never really like mint anyway. Things such as gum, toothpaste, and breathmints (even in the smallest amount) burn my mouth so badly!! And three years ago I accidentally chewed a full stick of mint gum and almost went into anaphylactic shock. If I consume of mint I have a reaction like that, (my throat will feel weird and start to close up), and then for the next week or so it'll be like I have a very bad cold. Recently before my ACT test I had a bite of a cookie that had mint in it (I didn't know it did) and I had to leave in the middle of the test.
I dont really use chopsticks so I can't help you there, but for gum I always eat the Trident citrus, and for toothpaste I use Oral-B Stages (it's a kids toothpaste but it doesnt have mint and it actually tastes good)
It's good to know people have the same reactions that I do :)
I am also allergic to ANY KIND of  mint, menthol, peppermint and spearmint when i breath it in,eat,drink it,touch it,ect i eather get hives and ich for 5weeks or my thoat,tounge,hands and face swell up and have to call 911 it ***** cuz mint,menthol,peppermint and spearmint is EVERYWHERE and i smoke cigs so i have to make sure the cigs im buying doesnt have mint,menthol,peppermint and spearmint in the flavor
i'm allergic to mint, spearmint, menthol and i get a stomach/head ache, throat ache, cold, running nose, cough and can get worse into a throat, chest and ear infection. I took my ages to cut mint out my life but i've done it and i don't really get ill much anymore - touch wood!
You might want to ask your doctor about getting checked for H. pylori infection - if you have inherited the tendency to develop allergies, H. pylori infection in your stomach may cause you to develop new food allergies -
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2004.04080.x/abs/
American Journal of Gastroenterology Volume 99(2) Page 225  - February 2004
Helicobacter pylori Increases the Epithelial Permeability to a Food Antigen in Human Gastric Biopsies
wow  i cant belive this i knew i wasnt alone , i have had  an mint allergy since i was long  as i chould rember  i cant be around it , my parents tell me it mental and it all in my head .......... its not in your head when you cant stand  in the same room with some mint gum without a  throwing up    they make fun of me by  putting tooth paste under my nose and watching  me as my whole face swells up my freinds are no help either  they bring gum to school(class of 12 people ) for everyone and purposly  not give me one because its mint and   say im sorry while i have to remove myself from the lunch room (we are only allowed to chew gum at lunch time )  and eat in the bathroom  (only other  place we can be  for freetime ) this happens alot    ive been using kids tooth paste or aqua fresh the mint free one   but  since my parents  buy tooth paste somehow the always forget  about my mint allergy  when i go in to anaphleptic shock  because they accedintly  get  hint of mint aqua fresh other than mint free  they  say nothing my freind try to stab me with her epipen  when it happens but  they stop her because "shell be fine in a little "wich i usally am  but still dont give me help while  im over her looking all deformed
I am also allergic to Menthol... but my concern is the eczema on your palms ?   I have it also ?   Are they related ?   If I inhale Menthol for any length of time, I go into anaphylatic shock... I need EMT 's to save me !!  but I have learned to live with it !!   I do not know why I have the palm problems ?   I thought it was stress related ?  Or is it a soap alllergy ?
Please advise me...  

Shirl in FL
I have had a spearmint allergy for about 5 years. I don't have a problem with anything else except certain sun blocks. People think i'm crazy when i tell them i can't have spearmint. The other day i accidentally ate a spearmint candy and it was not good. I broke out in hives, got a headache, and just felt awful. I think my allergy to spearmint gets worse with time. I just keep some kind of antihistamine around and pray i will never need an epipen.
Got a fix for the toothpaste/mouthwash problem.

I'm not horribly allergic, I can eat thin mints and other stuff with small amounts of mint in it, but mint toothpaste and mouthwash are a big nono.

Just go a few feet over on the supermarket shelf and get the kids stuff. Unless you have some other special requirement like sensodyne or some special flouride content or whatever, just get the toothpaste and mouthwash they make for ten year old kids. You can usually pick between bubblegum and various fruit and tropical flavors.

I usually use the bubblegum flavored disney princess stuff, and right now I'm just using the phineas and ferb promotional mouthwash. It might be a bit silly, but it beats feeling like you're swishing bleach.
you are is a serious situation. I understand because I am allergic to fish and seafood just like that. I could walk into the house where my mom was frying fish and break out in hives and just have to get out of there and my family also thought I was making a big deal out of nothing. That is until I was allergy tested and the doctor told them how serious this was. I also ended up in the emergency room because of fish sauce in some pork egg rolls. Now that I am older I am becoming allergic to other things too. I am on line everyday trying to find out what may be causing my latest rashes. Good luck with your search and your parents.
Just an opinion, but me personally, I would dump this childish, immature so-called boyfriend of yours. Just a suggestion, but, what you could do the next time one of these morons gives you something minty is to have an "attack of something like shortness of breath, or something similar!" Just to give these idiots a wake up call & to show what 'could' happen, if they keep on being so childish. If that doesn't work, find yourself some new friends.

I had a scare a few weeks ago when I broke a tooth. My own dentist made it worse by breaking the remaining part of the tooth off, below the gum line.
I was referred to the dental hospital to get it sorted out. The dental hospital had a nine month waiting list, so they referred me to one of their specialist dental practices to sort it out. I was seen a few days later by one of the professors from the DH, who numbed the jaw & got to work. The assistant was using the suction pipe they use to remove debris from the mouth. It also blows out small amounts of moisture to help keep the mouth moist & to help to remove the bits. As soon as they put it in the mouth I could smell the mint they put in this water. I stopped the dentist & explained my allergy to the mint. He went to the on-screen notes, where there was no mention of my allergy. So all the equipment was cleaned & the op restarted about 1/2 hr later. All went well thankfully!
I went back for a check-up 3 weeks later & the Prof told me they had now stopped using the mint routinely during the ops & that I was now a permanent part of his lectures, specifically about checking.
Back at my own dental practice I went in to find the dentist who had originally treated me had been sacked, after the prof had complained to them about the lack of info in my notes! The prof and my own practice are now working on getting him removed from the British Dental Association. Meaning he will no longer be able to practice as a dentist anywhere in the UK & Ireland.
At first I thought this was a bit harsh, but on thinking about it, it isn't, as he could easily have killed me
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who is allergic to mint. So far I have reacted to mint of all types and menthol. My throat swells almost shut and massive headaches follow. I have to carry an Epi-pen now. Its so hard to find products that don't contain either ingredient. This allergy developed over time, but this is my first flu since and I can't find throat lozenges that are mint and menthol free. Any ideas? Its so damn frustrating.
And its not just mint consumption. I only need be in the same room as gum or anything mint and my throat starts to close. My throat reacts before I even smell the mint! People think I'm crazy and will chew gum and blow it in my face. I work in a restaurant where customers and staff always have gum or mints and we sell mint beverages. I can't get away from it. I've had to get out of cabs because they chew gum. Its depressing... Especially because I actually love the taste of mint. My favorite icecream WAS mint chocolate chip. Ugh.
Hi everyone!! I am 24 and I never tasted a chewing gum/bubble gum in my life. I hate it.. I hate the smell it has.. I hate it when someone else starts chewing bubblegum/chewing gum or anything alike.. I run away from that place where gum business is going on.. I feel like crying.. I feel like vomiting and then i clear my nose.. i rinse my mouth and throat with water.. I really cannot tolerate it.. Everyone in my family think that I am over-reacting or doing a drama.. and that one day I'll eat it.. but.. they simply dont understand my condition... I also have the toothpaste problem and I used Forhans and then colgate original.. but it should not go in my throat.. i will do vomits and my eyes will go red.. Aaarghh.. I hate bubblegums and chewing gums... and I am the only one in my whole family.. Now I use miswak.. miswak is the best..
Not crazy at all!  I have a long list of food allergies and celiac disease to boot.  I NEVER eat out, with friends, or at parties anymore.  Sounds sad, but it is wonderful because I am getting healthy.

I have a friend, a young mother, who is allergic to mint.  She gets nausea and sometimes ill.  Her daughter is also allergic to mint, only slightly more severe.  She is a small child and mint makes her so sick that her body acts like it is going to shut down... mostly because it is.  She will develop a patchy rash all over, her mouth and skin will itch, she will become dizzy and lethargic.

Food allergies can be slight and only cause nausea or they can be severe and life threatening.  

If you have one food allergy, there is a chance you might have others as well.  

It sounds weird but, you can go in for testing for one allergy and find out that you are actually allergic to another thing that is throwing off your entire immune system!  That would be a good thing to know because the human immune system is extremely complex and if someone in a situation like that cuts what is throwing off their entire immune system (THE root cause) their food allergies can disappear.  It happens and people are often left wondering how they could be allergic to something their entire life, eat a certain food their entire life, think that how they feel is normal for them...etc. just to find out that their perception of 'normal self-health' wasn't true to begin with.  It is a life-changing experience!
When I use mint tooth paste no matter what flavor it is, it burns my tongue real bad I have looked for tooth paste with no flavoring at wal mart, and they do not have any without flavoring.   Does anyone no of any tooth paste with no flavoring but still with fluoride
When I use mint tooth paste no matter what flavor it is, it burns my tongue real bad I have looked for tooth paste with no flavoring at wal mart, and they do not have any without flavoring.   Does anyone no of any tooth paste with no flavoring but still with fluoride.
HI, I and my kids have the same problem with mint and toothpaste.  I found that Natural Dentist's Orange zest (mint free) toothpaste works very well for us.  I also feel over Peelu that is mint free and has no flavorings.  Check the brands here: http://sale.dentist.net/t/categories/toothpaste/mint-free-toothpaste but on this site be wary of the expiration dates. Shop around...

Good luck with the toothpaste hunt.
I use Squigle Tooth Builder toothpaste. No mint or any other flavors.
http://www.dermstore.com/product_Tooth+Builder_19359.htm

I have both mint allergy and cinnamon allergy so there's not a whole lot of oral products I can use. Still haven't found a mouthwash that won't make the whole inside of my mouth peel off in sheets.
Ever since I was little if I am around mint, it feels as if my throat is closing up and I cough so badly I cant get a breath in. I dont even have to smell it. I have a small senistivity to tooth paste and use cinnamin crest because of it. Any kind of mint does the trick. Makes me cough until I get away from it. the smell of it coming frome someone elses breath (like candy) makes my thraot feel ichy and uncomfortable, like I have to clear my throat. it *****. I usually look at ingrediants in any thing new i try before buying it.
I have been having a terrible time at work being exposed to mint by several different sources resulting in 3 trips to the ER for anaphalitic symptoms.  I carry my epi pen everywhere.  I went to the allergist and was told that there was nothing that could be done for me but to avoid mint.  Has anyone found an allergist that can help?? I am afraid that I am going to lose my job over this.
I have the exact issue with anything mint related. Just made the mistake of using Rohto Hydra Lubricant, yep you guessed it, has menthol in it. Talk about a serious issue with stinging pain when I was in need of outdoor allergy relief. Not happy. Glad to know that I am not the only one with this issue. Man people look at me oddly when I tell them like, hmm never heard that before and yeah right. Luckily my college classes made it that anything mint was banded when I was in class since it disrupted my learning. I was always nice and brought an abundance of bubble gum or fruit flavored chewing gum without any mint in it for those that needed it. Others asked for other things to avoid at that time like perfume, etc.
I am also allergic to mint. In my case I'm extremely sensitive to the most common types of spearmint found in most food/drinks/products. Peppermint and menthol do not affect me and I am fine with aspirin. Luckily as some of the other people who posted before I didn't realise I had an allergy for some time so I thought I just strongly disliked some minty products, until I realised the ones I didn't mind were actually peppermint or menthol and the ones I had nasty reactions to were all spearmint. I generally detect it right away, if not before consumption when there's a large amount because I can smell it. When I don't smell it, the taste makes me gag and I stop eating. As such I haven't had any violent reactions but I am making sure to stay away from it to avoid the symptoms getting worse.

Currently I get nausea, dizziness and feel faint as soon as I even inhale it through the nose, so I get the issue of transports with mint gum and having to politely ask co-workers not to consume it near me.

I have been able to find toothpaste without mint, check some homeopathic compatible pastes. I have successfully used Vademecum with no mint and at least one of the Sensodyne toothpastes. I have seen at other people's Cinnamon toothpaste and a rare salty toothpaste with sunflower seed. If you manage to get your hands on this one can help if your mint allergy has put you off using toothpastes because it breaks with the usually sweet/minty pattern and smell. I am still looking for it as the taste was way better than any I've tried so far.

I've met two other people with mint allergy and another with a similarly rare allergy so I've been aware of it for some time now, but originally it was also a problem for me to explain I really couldn't stand it. I still get the weird looks from people when I say I am allergic, one of my colleagues even thought I was 'trolling' him about chewing gum near me.

I realised it wasn't just dislike the day I was served a very nice soup which had a minute amount of mint in it: one leaf to flavour the whole pot. The taste was amazing and I couldn't taste or smell the mint at all, however after a few spoonfuls I started feeling faint and nauseous so I stopped eating. I was still quite young and people thought I was being fussy about eating vegetables, I tried to explain that I actually loved the taste of the soup but somehow knew I couldn't hold it down. In the end I said, "its as if you put mint in it" Obviously there was, and my family was so surprised I managed to detect it that they never questioned the intolerance/allergy again. I've had a few similar incidents since where very tiny amounts of spearmint won't go undetected by me even if nobody else can taste or smell it and was then verified to be present in traces or small percentage. As soon as I start feeling queasy and faint I know I'm in contact with it somehow.

I think it helps understanding that you're intolerant to it, sometimes it's a chemical, salycilate or linalol can be the culprits, and you might find yourself allergic to a bunch of plants from the same family, sometimes its a protein in the plant. I would guess I'm reacting to a protein which is present in spearmint but not in peppermint. I haven't tested any of the others but I eat food with many seasoning and so far I don't recall reacting this way to other herbs and spices, though by association I'm always wary of food that comes smells of anything that is a little "minty" like thyme in case it's hiding spearmint too haha

Mint kind of pops up when you least expect it, because its an uncommon allergy people just assume its fine to add it and you wouldn't always think about asking when you go out to eat because they'll put it on stuff like... oh hey lets decorate your guava juice with some mint! So now I'm more and more often finding that I have to ask in restaurants if there's any mint in the dish even just for looks.
Wow,never heard of this before.

I am allergic to even very small amounts of mint, tree fruit (apples, pears, plums etc), root veggies (carrots, celery, onions etc), citrus, grains (rye, oats, barley) and dairy.
Will have to look this up, thanks!
I am the as me as you. I cannot be around people who eat mints, chew gum or use cough lozenges and remedies that contain menthol. I am salycilate sensative but struggling for a diagnoses. I use fennel no fluoride toothpaste by kingfisher as it has no salycilates.
I have not read all of these but I have found out that Mint bothered me, gave me rashes on my face when I make mojitoes and then I found out that Lavender was jacking me up bad... they are in the same family. I got rid of all my lavender products and I am fine now.
I'm not one to really get headaches, but being around mint I can feel it start bringing a headache on. At one point being closed up in a room with someone chewing mint gum I had to go home and go to sleep because it felt like the top half of my head was going to explode. I guess it must be something like a migraine. I've gotten to where I'm not really crazy about flying anymore, which I have to do periodically for work, and it's not because I'm afraid of flying. It's because there's no place to go when people are chewing mint gum on the plane.
For some reason people seem to think it's a joke and want to test it too because it's so unusual. So they purposely bring it around to see if I notice. I love those people. Can I take their diabetes meds from them, or their nitro pills? Wouldn't that be a hoot!
When ever I eat mint my right ear bleeds (I had a ruptured eardrum decades ago, don't know if it never heals or what) my throat swells, gets completely raw like when I had strep throat, my sinuses also bleed.  My husband thinks I'm crazy, of course I'm not.  I'm just wondering why this developed after 30+ years of not being allergic to mint.  Peppermint is the worst, immediate reaction, spearmint (which I love) takes a little longer to cause a reaction.  I'm wondering if (and I know this sounds strange) could it be that I have a germ of sorts that needs to be cured?  The reason I ask is that sometimes when you cleanse there is a healing crisis due to the uck being flushed out of the body.  I ask this only because as a child I had no reaction to mint...just wondering...any comments?  Blessings to All :)
Mint really is everywhere and although I personally do not have the allergy, someone that means so very much to me does. It scares me that schools dont do a well enough job in preventing it. Skyward Access shows which students have allergies and what they are allergic to, but some teachers just do not care. It's the worst around Christmas time. I havent had mint in a very long time just for the fear of sending her into anyphylaxis. There needs to be a change.
I use Earthpaste lemon flavored toothpaste. It's expensive as far as toothpastes go, but the ingredients are all natural.  You don't have the standard "tingle" after brushing like other toothpastes, but I'll live with it to avoid the mint!
I use Earthpaste lemon flavored toothpaste. It's expensive as far as toothpastes go, but the ingredients are all natural.  You don't get the standard "tingle" when brushing like other toothpastes, but I'll live with it to avoid the mint!
I, too, mourned the loss of my Lemon Ice. I switched to Crest Whitening Orange Flavor, but it still tastes very minty to me. Orange Listerine is way too strong. I have recently tried Earthpaste lemon flavor toothpaste. The taste is great but my mouth doesn't feel as clean. I am finding a lot of great toothpaste and mouthwash suggestions on this board that I am anxious to try.
I have been allergic to mint/spearmint/peppermint/wintergreen/mint extracts  as long as i can remember. Within the past few years (at least since high school) it has extended into menthol also.Like most I get ill, nausea, migraine, vomiting just from extended exposure to the smell of mint. However whenever any of the products come in contact with my skin or mouth (tongue/gums etc) the skin falls off and leaves raw exposed flesh underneath (for the more severe allergies for the less severe it is simply a bad rash). I had recently been trying those new NEOS chapsticks but stayed far away from the green mint one. I was upset to discover that this chapstick tore my lips apart and now two weeks later they are still very sore, swollen and chapped/irritated. I discovered its active ingredient linalool is derived from mint plant. Anybody else have there skin tear off wherever mint/menthol touches them? If so any suggestion on products to help speed the healing process. Currently just using straight vaseline as it is the most sensitive product.
can mint affect epilepsy or trigger it because i have a friend and her brother every time he has anything mint it makes him fit so is it true? cause i also have epilepsy and a lot of triggers for it  
My 14 year old daugher has a severe reaction to any form of mint. She can just smell it and it over.  I just don't now what to do.   When she smells mint she will loses feeling in her limbs, gets very dizzy, sometimes she will go blind.  Her tongue will go numb, her face wll drawal to one side.  She will get a migraine and throw up uncontrollable.  She is still going to public school, but it is becoming more and more challenging to keep her there.  Her team of teachers and principal have been amazing.  The students on the other hand, just don't get it! They think she is faking.  Some students try to blow mint in her face just see what will happen.  I honestly just don't know what more to do.  My husband and I are considering home schooling her.  She is a very active teen, softball, dance choir, volleyball, fellowship of christian athletes.   We need help.  Every reaction seems to have longer and more signifcate reactions. Is there anything out there that you have found that helps the onset of a reaction?  I so afraid the next reaction, might be her last.  Any thoughts
What a relief to know I am not the only sufferer especially with an unsympathetic family!  I have suffered for 50+ years, and they still don't get it!  I use baking soda with which to brush.  However, because of root sensitivity, my dentist (who orders in non-mint products specially because of me), wants me to start using a de-sensitizing toothpaste.  Except I have not yet found one which is non-mint.  Any suggestions?