Allergy Community
Cough and phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Cough and phlegm

3 months ago I went to gp with a severe productive cough with yellow sputum. The cough was an 18 hr a day thing. No coughing when in bed. Gp put me on a 1 week course of antibiotics. Two weeks later went to internist who put me on another 1 week course of antibiotics , Mucus Dm every 4 hrs and changed my bp medication (Lotrel). 3 Weeks later no improvement and he sends me to pulmonary doc.
Pulmonary doc orders sputum, Xray, catscan and breathing test. Test's showed no respiratory problem. He wanted the head of my bed elevated for 4 inches (GERD) and recommended allergy tests. The cough has faded but I am still generating a lot of phlegm,

Tomorrow I go for allergy testing.
Sort of at my wits end.

.

Firstly the yellow phlegm that you were having was due to a bacterial infection which the 2 wks course of antibiotics has taken care of.Secondly,as all other pulmonary causes of cough and phlegm have been ruled out by the investigations ;so only GERD and allergy(sinusitis/cough variant asthama) which are other important causes of cough and phlegm, are left.

All forms of sinusitis may either result in, or be a part of, a generalized inflammation of the airway so other airway symptoms such as cough may be associated with it. the diagnosis of sinusitis or sinus infection can be made by X-rays or CT scan sinuses and treatment involves an antihistamines, decongestants, anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) and corticosteroids. Bronchodilators are needed in some cases. Steam inhalation is the best in these cases.

For GERD, pls keep the bed end at the head side elevated. Also eat healthy, nutritious food at least 2 hrs prior to bedtime and exercise regularly. Treatment involves antacids or medications like H2 blockers like zantac and PPI’s like prilosec.

Treatment depends on the cause. So pls get yourself a thorough examination from an allergy specialist/gastroenterologist.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.