Allergy Community
Could you please help me to solve the dilemma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have asthma, epilepsy and extremely mild mitral valve prolapse. My cardiologist said that it was very common and I didn’t need to worry about it. However my dentist and surgeon used to insist on prescribing antibiotics. Since I am so ‘sensitive’, they stop doing that any more. I had a minor surgery recently. My surgeon gave me an antibiotic during the surgery. After the surgery, she prescribed an antibiotic ( same or different kind of antibiotic which was used during the surgery ) again. I got itchy skin and felt like there was something in my throat. My surgeon said that I could die either taking or not taking antibiotics. Is it that serious? She also told me that I would be in deep trouble if I got an infection. Is there a way to solve this dilemma?
I am allergy to many antibiotics. Is there a way to find out which antibiotics I am not allergic to?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,

How are you? You can have allergy testing (patch or ***** test) to find out which antibiotic you are allergic to. There are different families of antibiotics and if you know which one drug belongs to, the other members of the group may also cause the same reaction. It is important to take antibiotics especially after a surgery as prophylaxis to prevent infection that usually occurs. If not treated promptly, this could lead to more serious condition such as sepsis.

Take care and regards.