Allergy Community
Daughter has swollen membranes that will not go away!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi! My daughter is 9 and about 1.5 years ago she started to have a stuffy nose. She is seeing an allergist and she just recently went and saw a nose and throat and ear Dr. and she had her adnoids taken out on the 13th of December.
Her allergist said that she was allergic to something so she started off on Rhyocourt and that didnt work, then it was Flonase and that didnt work and the other Dr. there told me to get Afrin and let her be on that untill our next appt. wich was like 3 weeks later. Well i found out that you were not suppost to be on Afrin for more than 3 days so they put her on steriods and on Sudifed for the next month. That didnt work and now she is on Dimatap and that is just flat out not working.
Her nose is so swollen inside that it is touching the other side. Does anyone here have any suggestions at all????
I am so frustrated right now that i dont know what to do and i dont think they know what is going on either.

Thanks for reading this!!
I also forgot to mention that she had a catscan on her nose area and everything was fine and then she had an xray on her throat for her adnoids and stuff and everything was fine and they decided to take her adnoids because they were slightly swollen and well that didnt work either!!!!!

I can relate to all of this. It really sounds too easy, but consider using a saline spray. You can purchase this at any drug store. There is also J's Nose Drops, which can be purchased online. Your child can use this product several times a day. I swear the J's Nose Drops get rid of sinus infections. It does take awhile to get used to them, because the drops sting, but they work.

In addition, I found the best bottle of pills that helped my sinus problems, was even better than the prescription medicines. It is a product called "Bi Yan Pian" --- google it online and you can also purchase it online. You should obviously consult your physician before you give it to your child and/or start off by giving your child only 1/2 tablet to make sure she is not allergic. (just a precaution like any medication)

After years of sinus infections, upper respiratory infections and sinus surgery... I learned the best treatment for allergies is taking the natural route and/or seeing a Naturopathic physician.

Good luck !

well they say that it isnt allergys (allergies) nor sinus problems. her sinuses are just fine.........i am lost. i dont know what to do!! she cannot hardly breath thru her nose because of the swollen membranes. it is frustrating!!

Perhaps she has environmental allergies ? You may want to talk to your physician about those remedies I mentioned and/or Zicam Intense Sinus Relief Liquid Nasal Gel. Zicam claims that their product shrinks swollen membranes. I know the Bi Yan Pian also helps with swollen membranes.

Good luck !

Hey sir, I just wanted to write and say that I have the same problem!  I know how frustrating it is.  I'm frantically searching for something that works long term also.  My ear nose and throat doctor was of no help and my allergist also doesn't know what to do.  I had minor surgery from my ENT doctor where he scraped out my left nostril, only my left one is swollen shut.  Anyways, after 4 weeks or so of wearing this funny thing on my face he took it off and behold... the surgery did nothing.  I was just  writing to say that I know how frustrating it is and I will let you know if I find anything that works and please do the same for me.  Does your Daughter only have one swollen nostril or are they both like that?  Thanks.
I came across your message when doing a search about swollen membranes for my son.  He to has had swollen membranes for over a year.  We had him tested for allergies and that came back fine.  We have been to ENT Dr. also.  We have yet to find something to help him.  Was wondering if you have come across anything to help your daughter's situation?
hello, i just want to find out have you found any resolutions, my son is 4 years old and the swollen membranes can not be controlled, he has his adnoids and tonsils removed at 2yrs, a yr later more problems, 4th ent dr found the adnoids had grew back and scar tissue present, another surgery, now he is still snoring, swollen membranes that i can shrink and i am scheduled for my 4th sleep study this month, HELP!!!
oops, i am saying i still cant shrink the membranes
you might want to try"vicks sinex 12 hour ultra fine mist" you can get this nasal spray at any walgreens pharmacy or cvs or your local pharmacy.
I have the same problem, this spray gives temporary relief. use it as needed.It works
There is one added note to the saline sprays, which are great by the way.  It's something that my conventional doctor gave me a handout for years ago.  And, it's something that your naturopathic doctors will have no argument about.  The handout had a recipe for making your own saline wash mix.  I strongly suggest that you put your dry mix into a jar made of inert materials, such as glass, and one with a good seal.  The recipe for the dry mixture you can make at home is 1 cup of baking soda : 1 cup of salt.  I strongly urge you to use sea salt, because table salt isn't good for people.  It has added chemicals in it, like calcium chloride which is known to cause digestive disturbances.  Sea salt is not very expensive, if you buy yours in the bulk foods section.  All you have to do is mix the two ingredients very well together and keep in your storage container and use it as needed.  It is more ph balanced than using just one of the two ingredients.

Then, all you do is mix between 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of this dry mixture into a glass with about 1 cup of warm water.  It was suggested to use a bulb syringe to use the saline wash, but I am allergic to latex, so I keep reusing one of the bottles that commercial saline spray comes in.  Then, just use the sprayer the same way you always do.  It's great and it works.  I actually got rid of a sinus infection without antibiotics using this method.  

Oh, and by the way, if you're worried about cleaning the tip for the saline spray, that can be solved without the use of nasty chemicals, too.  I have to do the same thing for my nebulizer kit to sterilize it every night, so it's really no big deal.  It's what was recommended by the company to sterilize the parts.  Simply pour undiluted white vinegar into a glass jar that is big enough to fully immerse the whole bottle the saline spray comes in.  Use one that you still have a lid for.  Pop out the sprayer from the bottle and immerse the parts into the vinegar.  Cover the jar with the lid and let the parts soak in the vinegar for about 15 minutes.  Now, get a small clean dish towel and lay it out on the counter.  Get a long handled soup spoon and "fish" the parts out of the vinegar, shake out the excess vinegar and let the parts air dry on the clean towel overnight.  Don't rinse the vinegar out.  The vinegar will vanish all on its own.  Trust me, it works, or I would be inhaling vinegar from my nebulizer kit.  Don't throw out the vinegar!  Goodness, no, because it will still work again and again.  Simply put the lid back on the jar, so the vinegar doesn't evaporate and you don't have to smell the vinegar.  Then, you can use it again the next time.

Vinegar will kill both bacteria and mold.  Check out Care2.com under healthy living and do a search about vinegar.

Unfortunately, other than saline washes, I would have to say to continue looking for other things that work.  I'm still looking for something more effective for my sinus allergies that won't put me to sleep myself.  The prescription sprays don't seem to be all that effective to me either.  I don't have the swollen membranes you're talking about, thankfully, but painful sinuses are no joke either.
hi we [[ my boyfriend && i ]] were reading your post before we went out to the store. because he hasnt been able to breathe for awhile now. well. we got ayr gel [[ he could breathe almost instantly after use ]] && ayr saline rinse, they were both under 4$ i deff recommend. we've been using everything for him to breathe and this works great :) .
i know all about this! It is so frustrating trying to find something that works and that you can take on a daily basis and not for only 3 days. I have had swollen membranes since august and its the end of october. I've tried afrin, works great but using it longer than three days makes it worse. SO what am i suppose to do after 3 days??? Their still swollen! I've found this great stuff also at walgreens. Its Suddafed OM  sinus congestion and it lasts for 12 hours and i can breathe freely through my nose. BUT the last week my right nostril has been getting worse and after maybe 6 hours the stuff wears off and i can't breathe again. I don't know what to do. I've tried nose spray after nose spray, sinus congestion pills, saline sprays, everything and it won't go away or get better, it's getting worse! If anyone ever finds a cure or a great help let me know!! It's not a sinus problem, it's SWOLLEN MEMBRANES. I am not allergic to anything, they are just swollen. Thanks!!!
My husband has the same problem.  We have not found a long term solution, but we found that by taking Quercetin it gives immediate relief. This is a natural supplement sold in health food stores and online. Not expensive either.  Good Luck.
The swollen membranes that you have are probably enlarged turbinates. I have the same problem. At night, I cannot breathe through my right nostril. My left nostril is always open with no problems. I have found that if I lay on my left side, that the swollen turbinate in my right nostril will sometimes subside and the passage will open.
Why dont you try a procedure called Balloon Rhinoplasty.  Its a fairly new procedure where an ENT Dr. uses a small elongated balloon "sinus balloon" into the nasal canal and inflated to open and remodel the narrowed/swollen nasal passages.  Evidentially it is the same or similar type of technology used to open blocked coronary arteries.  Look this up and read more about it, people swear by it, it may be worth looking into when nothing else works.
Suggestion keep the sinus lubricated 'neilmed nasamist' is very good for that, and get rid of all products that have added fragrance and perfumes in them.  Try to create a chemical free environment for your daughter.  Use free and clear laundry detergents (I use seventh generation). It is a fact that dry sheets contain carcinogenics in the product.  I get swollen nasal membranes due to chemicals and now due to medicine from surgery.  Get rid of all petroleum based products.  
Another thought is to build up her immune system by building up her own defenses by increasing healthy bacteria in the gut.  Try pro-biotics acidophilus.  Yogurt can help, but not enough pro-biotics in them.  Saw a doctor on pbs who talked about healing all kinds of ailments through just healing a weak gut.  
Marie

Been reading that Bi Yan Pian has been recalled due to high amount of mercury.
I suffer from same malidy, what I do is if it's winter in the north east'(where I live) I step out side for a while and get relief from the cold air. In the summer I wrap ice in a wrung out wet hand towel (lots of ice) and hold it to my nose and face and breath in the cold moist air. These are temporary reliefs but I have not found anything elase that helps as well as this does. I"m 60 and have suffered from this problem all my life. I tried steam from the shower but found that it doesn't work as well as this. GOOD LUCK!!!