Allergy Community
Disguised Penicillin Allergic Reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Disguised Penicillin Allergic Reaction?

I have known since i was 10 that i was allergic to penicillin after reacting badly to an antibiotic. however only the past 3 years have i been suffering from severe unknown allergic reactions, swelling of throat and tongue, itchiness, redness large swelling in hands and feet and rest of body. after visiting a numerous amount of doctors, including a specialist no one could figure out my diagnosis. the other night my mother came across a documentary amount food that carries moulds etc. and one of the foods that carries penicillin were uncooked meats such as salami, pepperoni and chorizo. this is when i started researching and found some amazing posts   http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/4023/penicillin-allergy-warning

i was wondering if anyone could help me since no doctor in ireland could figure it out (quite frustrated) if this is possible. if i knew that i could avoid certain uncooked meats to stop these reactions i would immediately.

thanks
stephen sproule
Northern Ireland
20 years old
Hi!
Yes, some processed meats and cheese can contain antibiotic residues including penicillin. You should ideally keep Epipen or emergency anti-allergic medication with you. You could log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between the food type and your symptoms. You could also stop processed meats and cheese and see if it helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.