Allergy Community
Dizziness and Alergy(allergy) Shots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Dizziness and Alergy(allergy) Shots

My 10 year old son started allergy shots about six weeks ago.  After his third week of shots he began to have dizzy spells that would last around 5 minutes.  They did not happen during a specific time of day or during a certain activity.  They would just happen.  We accidentally missed one week of allergy shots and he did not experience any dizziness.  When we went the next week for shots the next day the dizziness started again.  My allergist does not seem to think that the shots are causing the dizziness.  He has said that it could be anxiety from the shots or fluid behind the ear.  My question is "Can allergy shots cause dizziness or lightheadness that comes and goes like this?"
Thank you to anyone who can give me an answer.
Worried Mom

Allergy shots can in fact dizziness - they are basically the same antigens in a much milder , diluted form that is being used to desensitize your son against the substance he is allergic to.

These shots can in fact cause some mild form of allergic reaction too in a few cases.

In such cases, the allergy specialist would usually advise an even milder version or more diluted antigen to be used.

On the other hand, your allergy specialist could also be right - that this is anxiety to the allergy shots causing these symptoms.

Talk to your specialist again, and see what he has to say.

Let us know how your son is doing.

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any queries.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.