Allergy Community
Do Allergies Cause Headaches?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Do Allergies Cause Headaches?

hello everyone, hope someone can help. i had flu like symptoms on july 8th (fever, terrible headache, photophobia, body aches, sore throat). everything went away in a day. but i had head pressure and headpains for a month. but nearly 3 months later i still get headaches for a few min to a few secs all day and these little pings and pangs. i also get pressure in my nose and forehead strain. and pain around eye brows and eyes. i know this isnt a migraine. in my quest to find out whats causing this i got allergy tested. allergies never bothered me before and i dont have the typical symptoms. doc said my allergies are bad enough to at least take a zyrtec a day.  

i was wondering can allergies cause nose pressure, forehead strain, deep temple aches, and general pain around the head. its not a deep throb like a migraine. taking a zyretc helps a little. i tried 800mg of ibuprofen and it doesnt touch my symptoms.

if anyone has any input thatd be great. thanks!

(i have a normal CT brain and Sinus scan).
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, it is possible to have headaches due to allergies. You may not have collection in the sinuses but the feeling of something in the nose can trigger a headache.
The other reason for frontal headache and pressure on the nose is refractive errors of the eye, especially astigmatism where a cylindrical number is added to the glasses. If you got your allergies tested then you would know what is causing them. Avoidance of the allergen is the best policy.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
thanks for the response.

can you please explain/elaborate on the refractive errors of the eye?

i do have astigmatism in both eyes. i saw the optamologist and he said my eyes look fine. the prescription he wrote me up was slightly different than what i have but he said its not siginificant enough to cause me strain of the eyes. i can basically see 20/20.

thank you so much.