Allergy Community
Does anyone know of a good biocompatible New York dentist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hello everyone on this post who has been experiencing terrible reactions to dental implants. I'm glad to have found this post and am confused and upset that so many of us have to try to understand what is happening without greater awareness and support from the medical profession. I had two titanium implants put in about 8 months ago, and the crowns put in at the end of August. According to my dental x-ray, the bone "looks a little odd" but there is no infection and the dentist and surgeon feel this is due to all the past dental work (2 failed and last year infected root canals over the course of 20 years) . However, after I had the crowns placed I began to get adverse reactions (increased chemical sensitivity and daily pulsing headaches) which only last week effected my mouth so that I could draw the parallel to the implants. The crowns themselves have exposed titanium (I'm guessing) on the posterior. First, my tongue tip started to sting where it touches it. Then my whole mouth started to burn with a burn with a horrible metalic taste. The tip of my tongue was red and even blistering. Soon my alveolar ridge (bumpy ridge behind the upper front teeth) blistered a little. My lips also burned and the bottom of my nose felt a little numb. The headaches continue on a daily basis, I am very tired and feel as if it takes all of my resources to accomplish what I used to do easily. I am just finishing a very intense graduate program in speech-language pathology and NEED to function. Thanks to the posts I've read here, I had MELISA testing yesterday. I also just texted my dentist to tell him I've having symptoms and want to come in to see him. One of the worst parts of all of this is that I know I won't be taken seriously by him or by the surgeon. Who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised, but when I read a post that said someone (sorry I can't remember who) went to 4 surgeons who refused to remove the implants, I got concerned.

Has anyone had any experience about getting titanium implants removed and know of a good bio-compatible dentist in the New York/New Jersey area? Getting implants to begin with (especially as a poor graduate student) has been such an expensive experience to begin with, I feel like I can't bear to be told I'm crazy. Thanks!
Tags: implant allergy, cosmetic dentistry/implants
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If the local reactions have started with the implants and if they are still persisting, then they can be linked. Sometimes, infected tooth roots from the upper teeth can go inside the maxillary sinus and cause sinusitis. This could cause the constant headaches, check with your doctor to rule out this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for you help. It does help to have someone in the medical profession give credence to what is happening. All of the local reactions did start with the insertion of the crowns, which were placed 9 mos after the posts, which was longer than I needed to wait healing-wise (have been in graduate school). The crowns are in my mandible (central and lateral incisor) so I don't think the sinus is involved. Upper teeth seem fine. This all stemmed not from bad teeth but from someone hitting me in the mouth as a kid with a rock many years ago, One bad root canal let to the adjacent root's infection, and then another root canal. Interestingly, during one of the root canal procedures, the surgeon placed a little bit of metal at the roots tips, which never healed. It wasn't until a different dentist many years later noticed that it wasn't healing in an x-ray and had it removed. I had had a persistant dull ache in my chin for years which finally went away. I am very sensitive to chemicals, foods, so the reaction I'm having to something that doesn't seem to bother most people makes sense to me. But it's very upsetting when people think I'm imagining things. Thanks again for your support.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Studies are being done to study the long term effects of titanium implants, in the bones. The presence of titanium particles in the blood may be harmful, especially following frictional wear of medical prostheses or of screws such as those used in plate fixation during surgical procedures. This can cause kidney damage.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply. It's so frustrating not to have definitive answers. There will probably be more information available in 25 years once more people have been affected these things. I have been told that my body is probably toxic and just can't handle any more insults. Do you know if there is a blood test that can be performed to determine what is making my body toxic?