Allergy Community
Does dairy allergy mean no dairy in medications?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I cannot have any dairy which means no milk.  Some of the medications have lactose.  I asked if that means milk as somebody told me lactose is a sugar and the allergens in the milk are in the protein.  I called on a medication the other day and was told there was some lactose (dairy) in the derivitive of it.  This is confusing to me so I don't know
if I should not take any meds with lactose in it.

What symptoms do you have? Lactose intolerance and milk allergy - which is allergy to the milk protein are two separate things?

What have you been diagnosed with?

If you are lactose intolerant you cannot have milk, other diary products and other products which have lactose in them.

If you have milk allergies you cannot take milk and other diary products , but you could still consume products with lactose in them.

I think it would be best if you could consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis and consult a nutrition specialist to draw up a list of things you need to avoid.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.