Allergy Community
Doxycycline Allergy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Doxycycline Allergy

I seem to be having a rash reaction to Doxycycline and have taken Benedryl...so far, no other symptoms after 10 hours.  If I keep taking Doxy for the next 10 days, will my symptoms likely get worse or stay the same?  With such a long half life, I'm likely to have this experience for several days anyway.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
I would suggest that you do not take any more of Doxycycline.Your rash will probably get worse.
Continue with the Benadryl for another day or two. The rash shold have completely settled by then.
Other side-effects of the drug include  the following-
severe headache, dizziness, blurred vision
fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash
urinating less than usual or not at all
pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness.
Stop using doxycycline and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects.
Ref:http://www.revolutionhealth.com/drugs-treatments/doxycycline-side-effects?ipc=B00232.
You could ask your doctor to prescribe an alternative drug.

Blank
Thank you Dr. Apama for your timely and helpful suggestions.  I did stop taking Doxycycline and will call my GP this afternoon for an alternative.  In the mean time, I have continued with Benedryl at 25 mg every 4 hours and will now stretch this out to 6-8 hours through tomorrow; the rash has almost completely cleared up.  Thanks again:)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...