Allergy Community
Dry cough and very itchy throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Dry cough and very itchy throat

I have been coughing for almost one and a half month now.  My nose is very congested most of the time.  I have a dry chocking cough.  I cough a lot when I feel an inside drift to my throat.  I have a bad case of sinusitis too I think.  My nose hurts a lot when the weather is cold and the pain goes away when I drink hot water.  I am taking Reactine 20mg and I spray Nasonex in my nose.  I also rinse my nose with NeilMed sinus rinse (saline solution).  The sinus rinse helps a lot.  I do it twice a day.   I have been taking Reactine and been spraying my nose with Nasonex for 4 days now.  My allergy symptoms have subsided a bit but no improvement when it comes to my dry chocking cough.  Reactine and Nasonex are somewhat helping my allergy symptoms but my nose still drifts into my throat.  I am also very sensitive to smell.  Even the mildest smell makes me cough right away.  What should I do with this dry chocking cough?  Please help me.  I am losing a lot of sleep and energy because of this persistent dry chocking cough.
From your symptoms it is important to rule out any viral bronchitis which may present with such dry irritating cough. Your history of sinus infection may have precipitated the bronchitis which means inflammation of the bronchi. I would suggest you to consult a chest physician and get a chest examination and pulmonary function tests done. Other common causes of chronic cough include asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus problems (for example sinus infection),post nasal drip and esophageal reflux of stomach contents and these also should be investigated and ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.