Allergy Community
Dry patch of skin under eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Dry patch of skin under eye

For about a month I have had a patch of skin ( about the size of a kidney bean)under my right eye that starts out red, then swollen, then dry, then flakey.  The skin will flake off then my eye will be fine for 2-3 days then the cycle starts over again.  The whole cycle last just over a week ( approx 7 days)
Tags: Dry skin, Undereye, swollen
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The most causes for the dry patch are Eczema and Psoriasis. Eczema is one condition where the hands get cracked. In this disorder contact with triggering factors like soaps, cosmetics, jewelry, clothing, and detergents causes symptoms. Sometimes sweat, changes in temperature and psychological stress are known to trigger these episodes. Psoriasis is an auto immune disorder that can cause dry cracked hands. Genetic and immunologic theories have been predicted as causes for psoriasis. Metabolic disorders like diabetes and hypothyroidism can aggravate the symptoms. For either of these conditions for therapy the best way is to prevent attacks by identify those substances which you are allergic to and avoid them. So, Allergy testing would be worth looking into. And treatment is with cortisone based creams.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hey same thing happened to me. It'll go away and come back. It's Eczema and unfortunately there's no cure. Since it's on your face/eye you won't be able to use normal Eczema medication. Instead use vaseline on the area every night and during the day use a heavy cream like Cetaphil (it's less greasy than vaseline) make sure you use the one with the screw top, the other isn't strong enough. For the itching use hydrocordazone. It's smart to change your face wash as well. I switched to Cetaphil facial wash. It's a really annoying process but the patch is gone. Good luck!