Allergy Community
Dust Mites and behavourial issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Dust Mites and behavourial issues

My 6 year old boy has had problems with a lack of focus, lots of energy, trouble being quiet in school etc etc.  Because his teacher has made it very clear that she will keep him back if his behaviour does not improve, I am currently trying to find an answer.  Unfortunatley the teachers opinion seems to be that my parently skills need work (which as you can imagine went down a treat).  I do not believe his behaviour is bad enough to fall into the ADHD basket.

I recently had an IgG test done and it came back with a 'serious' allergy to to House dust Mites.  Could Dust Mites be causing his behavioural issues as well?  He doesn't seem to show an significant physical signs of the allergy and all the other allergy areas (such as Food, Animals, Grass etc) came back as negative (food was 'low').

I would appreciate any advice and especally any confirmation (if there is one)  that this could be the answer I have been looking for and therefore something I can actively do to help him.

Concerned Mum,  
Sandra - Australia
My three year old has ADHD and, though I haven't been tested, the online tests say that I probably do too.  There are varying levels of ADHD so it is definitely possible that your son has it.  I'm not sure how an allergy to dust mites would manifest itself so I don't know if that is to blame or not but it could be.  Does your son still have his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids)?  Removal of them has helped many children with ADHD, including mine.  When kids don't get enough sleep and are tired but wanting to stay awake, they sometimes bounce from one thing to the next because if they slow down, they will fall asleep and they don't want that.  If the tonsils and/or adenoids (adenoids) are always infected or are just too large, it can cause breathing problems while the child is sleeping.  This causes the child to briefly wake up several times throughout the night or just not get deep sleep.  As a result, you have a child who is tired during the day but fights to stay awake.  If the tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) are removed, it can help the child sleep better at night and, because they are well rested, they aren't bouncing off the walls trying to stay awake throughout the day.  You may want to have your child seen by an ear, nose, and throat specialist.  As far as the dust mites go, I would do a Google search for dust mite allergy symptoms and see what comes up.