Allergy Community
Dyspnea as delayed reaction to Iodine contrast ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Greetings,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area; so many are interrelated this seemed to be the most logical to start.

I had an abdominal CT with iodine contrast injection on Jan6 which went without incident.

Three days later, I begin having shortness of breath the like of which I have never experienced. It was moderate to moderately severe; enough that I went to the emergency room. I was cleared of any heart, lung (embolism) or any faults that would be evident with blood enzyme tests and chest xray . They gave me albuterol and sent me home.

I am wondering if it is possible to have a delayed reaction to the iodine contrast ? I am slowly getting better, VERY slowly. At least I can catch a "satisfying" breath time to time now. I have already had a nuclear stress test for pvc's and had no defects during exertion, so it's doubtful my heart is involved. NO chest pain or pressure (aside from costochondritis).

The only thing I can think of is the iodine, so I was just wondering if it were possible to have a delayed reaction to the iodine contrast. The radiology dept. says no, but that's probably the standard answer for a litigious environment.

Thanks for your time,
J

"Clinical Considerations When Iodine Contrast Agents Are Used" (pg: 748-749)

link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8avfXndX3BMC&pg=PA748&lpg=PA748&dq=Dyspnea+%2B+iodine&source=web&ots=RjFoIhZ3sE&sig=rpHpcl_9HYYu404_fikvQPCuBnc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA750,M1

In case the link doesn't work, the name of the book is "A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests" by Frances Talaska Fischbach &  Marshall Barnett Dunning.

Best,

PlateletGal