Dyspnea as delayed reaction to Iodine contrast ?
Greetings,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area; so many are interrelated this seemed to be the most logical to start.

I had an abdominal CT with iodine contrast injection on Jan6 which went without incident.

Three days later, I begin having shortness of breath the like of which I have never experienced. It was moderate to moderately severe; enough that I went to the emergency room. I was cleared of any heart, lung (embolism) or any faults that would be evident with blood enzyme tests and chest xray . They gave me albuterol and sent me home.

I am wondering if it is possible to have a delayed reaction to the iodine contrast ? I am slowly getting better, VERY slowly. At least I can catch a "satisfying" breath time to time now. I have already had a nuclear stress test for pvc's and had no defects during exertion, so it's doubtful my heart is involved. NO chest pain or pressure (aside from costochondritis).

The only thing I can think of is the iodine, so I was just wondering if it were possible to have a delayed reaction to the iodine contrast. The radiology dept. says no, but that's probably the standard answer for a litigious environment.

Thanks for your time,
J

"Clinical Considerations When Iodine Contrast Agents Are Used" (pg: 748-749)

link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8avfXndX3BMC&pg=PA748&lpg=PA748&dq=Dyspnea+%2B+iodine&source=web&ots=RjFoIhZ3sE&sig=rpHpcl_9HYYu404_fikvQPCuBnc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA750,M1

In case the link doesn't work, the name of the book is "A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests" by Frances Talaska Fischbach &  Marshall Barnett Dunning.

Best,

PlateletGal