Allergy Community
Ear and head pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Ear and head pressure

I am 20 years old and for the past four years have been experiencing what feels like water or fluid in my head and ears. It used to go away after a few months, but this year it has been 24/7.Lately it feels like I have fluid in my chest.I sometimes hear my heartbeat in my left ear.I always have to crack my neck because it helps loosen up the water in my head and ears.Sometimes I get this tremendous amount of pressure on the top of my head and it feels like the two hemispheres of my brain are pressing together.The only way to relieve the pressure is to keep moving my head from side to side or blow my nose.When I bend my head down I feel nauseous and I feel water moving on the side of my head. I hear cracking noises in my ears and head daily.I have been taking Paxil for 4 years and Tranxene for about 4 months due to anxiety issues.In 2002 I had a CAT Scan and it came back normal.Now 4 years later I experienced 2 vertigo spells and was referred to an ENT who saw nothing wrong in my ears or nose.He sent me to The National Institute for Balance and Dizziness which identified that I have no vestibular response in my ears but my hearing levels were normal.My ENT couldn't understand how that could be so he sent me to get a MRI of the brain with contrast.The only abnormality that showed up was an underlying mass in the pituitary gland.I then had a MRI of the pituitary gland and it showed a 0.5 x 0.5 benign cyst and minimal deviation of the pituitary stalk to the left of the midline. I went to an endocrinologist and he said all my blood levels were fine. Could it just be allergies?
I am really hurting for you right now. What you are going through in my belief is no more than mental torment. I know because I went through the same thing. I suffered so long. I am 27 and suffered it it 4 years ago, it went away for about a year, and it tries to come back. But through faith and diligence, you can make the voices that tell you something is wrong with, go away. Nothing has the right to lie to you including your own head. When you feel those thoughts coming on, stop them in there tracks.  Start to picture yourself being held and comforted by someone or God, whoever makes you feel safe. Picture them telling you that you are ok, and tell yourself that you are ok too. Anxiety and panic attacks are no joke and I truly seen, before I even read that you had taken Paxil, that you had anxiety. The symptoms you thing you feel are probably normal things that go on with people everyday, but you mind is "magnifying glass" on you making the "cracking" and other symptoms seem bigger than the empire state building. Please believe that you will get over this, because you will.
Dear Cynnie9,

I'd love to talk to you more about your sinus condition, for I've head very similar symptoms for about 6 six years feeling like I'm the only one out there with such a problem.  I've had two cat scans and two MRIs (both with contrast and both without).   The one MRI with contrast showed what could be ethmoid sinus disease, yet they're not sure if that's what's causing my problem..  Reason being, I have these sensations in the extremities of my body (say after I crack my neck to relieve the sinus pressure), and it then feels like there's fluid draining from hands/arms as well as legs/feet..   What's weird is that I also know what you're talking about when it comes to the sensations in your chest..   Sometimes I feels like the fluid is draining into my chest cavity..   Does your chest area ever make draining noises?  The whole ordeal keep me up at night and wonder if it's every going to go away..   It would be nice to chat more with you, so please write me directly if ok by you.  My address is ***@****   I'd greatly appreciate learning about your condition, for maybe we can pinpoint the source and get to a solution.   The doctors so far have not been helpful..  Thanks!!   -Rob
I have also noticed strange sensations in my head. I have had this for 3 years. I have been diangnosed with Meniere's disease. I have head pressure and senations like my brain is moving around in my head, mainly at night time now. In the beginning there were dizziness episodes, feeling short bursts of things moving when they were not. Feeling like I was having a stroke in the middle of the night, anxiety caused my fear of all these symptoms, feelings that I was going to die, by breathing stopping at night. Also ear pressure on one side, ear noises and constant tinnitis. Sensitivity to noise to the point I have to wear cotton balls in my right ear. All the MRI/MRAs, heart tests showed nothing. Many trips to ER. ENT said I had Meneiere's but I have no hearing loss. My earing goes out for like one second when I get the loud "gunshot sounds" in my head at night, but it lasts only a second or two. Sometimes I have to sit up straight in bed to sleep. I sleep terrible now and wake up a lot with these weird head pressure/movement sensations.
I gave on on doctors as all they do is drug you with valium, xanax, meclezine, Phenergan for the nausea that sometimes accompanies it. Also get neck problems with very tender spots on the right side under the occiput.  Been to chiro's that specialize in necks, with just temporary relief. They say it is my C2 out of whack.  No injuries. But I do have right sided TMJ problems from 25 years ago and I had surgery then. I think the surgery 25 years ago may have something to do with it...
Oh well, I have just changed my diet radically and no alcohol, coffee, chocolate, or junk food. The brain fog went away but still have the night time episodes. But life is way better with the change of lifestyle. I have a stressful job in the front of the computer. Now that could be a factor. I really believe it call was caused by STRESS..... STRESS can lead to chronic disease, I am convinced.... Some day I will quit my job and all this will go away... But I am not quite ready to be that poor yet...so I will just deal with this...
Elise