Excess phlegm - post nasal drip or candida albicans?
I have suffered from excess phlegm for 8 years now (from age 18 to present).

The current idea (from my ENT) is that i have post nasal drip caused by allergies which it may well be!

I have also had acid reflux which was corrected with operation (Nissen Fundoplication)and no longer a problem but phlegm still very bad!

I use sinus wash, nasal steroid spray (nasonex) and antihistamine (loratadine) every day (for last 6-12 mths) but they have no effect and i feel like they never will, if anything my phlegm is getting worse.

I have come across a website which say candida albicans can be the cause of problems (i also get white patches on my tongue which i always thought could be yeast infection)

http://www.stopyeast.com/phlegm.html

I am interested in giving this a try if it is a realistic option

Anybody had any experience with this?

ejh
You could check out mercury toxicity.

It can cause candida in the body to get out of control. Usually the body can take care of candida, unless you eat a lot of sugar or had a lot of antibiotics.

If you can't find good info on mercury after googling for a while, drop me an email (ejhayes @ yahoo.com). I have personal experience with it.

Hi, welcome to the forum, postnasal drip diagnosis is suggested in persons who describe the sensation of postnasal drainage or the need to frequently clear their throat.

Many patients suffering from this condition have mucoid or mucopurulent nasal secretions and important causes are-

- Allergies- in such case sputum can be subjected for presence eosinophils and usually can be found in the secretions.
- Common cold- it is due to viral and it is generally self limiting,
- Vasomotor rhinitis, - this can be seen secondary to temperature changes.
- Post infectious rhinitis or sinusitis- In such bacterial or fungal infection can be involved. For bacterial infection sputum can be sent for culture to identify the responsible bacteria. As for suspected fungal infection (candida/yeast), you can undergo KOH and wet mount or culture to identify the fungus.  
- Environmental irritants- even this can be responsible.

If positive for candida it can be effectively treated by anti fungal. Allergy seems to be likely for which you need to prevent further exposure to allergens. Genetic condition also can be evaluated for such as cystic fibrosis (milder form). I suggest you to consult ENT specialist for further evaluation. Take care and regards.
I, too, have had long-term problems with excessive phlegm and chronic sinusitis, post-nasal drip, respiratory problems/asthma, etc. It wasn't until I saw a specialist that I realized I had candida overgrowth and a food allergy to dairy and eggs. I've tried going off dairy off and on over the last several months but find it very difficult, some days are better than others as far as the symptoms go.

I've recently had a reoccurence of vaginal yeast infections, however, and am experiencing a host of other symptoms like low-grade fever, fatigue, etc. so am going to try a powerful probiotic like ThreeLac ... will let you know how it goes!

Thanks,
Kelli :)