Last December my husband who is extremely fit and healthy collapsed suddenly after eating almonds. He had an extreme drop in blood pressure became very sweaty and had pins and needles all over his body. Then he got really bad diarreah. He was taken to hospital where they performed numerous tests - ECG, blood work etc. all came back negative - they put it down to a virus. Since then he has had a bloated full feeling in his stomach but otherwise has been ok. He had a tube down his throat last month to have a look inside his stomach to check for gastritis etc - again came back negative - he had also been tested for celliacs disease - negative. Then the other night, he went for a bike ride (cycles 30km every day and days racing). He came back had about 20 almonds had a shower got out and nearly collapsed again. Same symptoms as the first time except not so extreme, rang the ambulance he had a really low blood pressure, racing heart but was coming back to normal slowly so didn't go to hospital this time. We are at our wits end not knowing what is causing this after having so many negative tests. The only factor that was the same after both episodes was eating the almonds. Is there anyone who has experienced anything like this?
This is almost definately an allergic reaction to the almonds. For some people, allergic reactions can cause sudden and severe drops in blood pressure, including fainting. He should stay away from almonds 100% until he can get an allergy test to confirm this. For most people, severe allergic reactions get worse over time. Be very careful to make sure he gets tested ASAP.
Hello. I agree 100% with myproblem. I have severe food allergies and it sounds like your husband is definately allergic to almonds. Food allergies can get progressively worse over time. Before I knew that I had the food allergies, I would have stomach aches and some itching during the first few episodes. Nothing that I was concerned about. Thought it was a bug. Then one night I woke up in the middle of the night with my ears itching, my stomach rumbling, bad diareah and a rash all over that made me miserable. I didn't go to the hospital, as it did go away after a couple of hours. The next time was worse. I started with the same symptoms, but this time my tongue swelled and I could barely breath. My husband rushed me to the hospital and I threw up before I could even tell them what was going on. They could see I was in bad shape. My blood pressure had dropped and I was almost unconcious, going in and out. Did numerous tests. I remember being on the table knowing I was going to die. I was shaking uncontrollably. They told me that I was in anaphalactic shock. Gave me an Epipen and some other meds. They said it looked like a food or medicine allergic reaction. I was not on any meds (am allergic to Erythamicin), so it had to be food. In the hospital 7 hrs. I had to return to the hospital hrs later for milder reactions and agian had to have an Epipen. I had food allergy tests and found out I am allergic to cinnamon, cream cheese(no other dairy) and grapes. I had all of these on the nights I had reactions. My reactions were not obvious until hours after food consumption. I had eaten these foods all of my life and until 3 yrs ago I was not allergic to them. Now I have to stay away from them and any foods that contain their ingredients and I have to carry an Epipen with me at all times. So, I urge you to have your husband tested for food allergies and make sure he stays away from the almonds until he knows for sure, because if he is indeed allergic he could suffer a horrible experience. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.