Allergy Community
Extreme Foot Itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Extreme Foot Itching

3 to 4 times a year and to what stimuli I can't figure out both of my feet become inflamed and itch horribly. Most of the time my entire foot, top, bottom, instep, and even my ankles start itching at once.  There is no rash, no bumps, just intense itching.  The onset of a bout is sudden and can last a couple days to several days.  Hot water seems to intensify the itching.  No matter how much I scratch the itch is just as intense as when I started.  Makes it almost impossible to sleep any length of time as the itch is so intense it's almost impossible to stop.  Any ideas?  My Family Physician just prescribed hydrocordisone but that brought zero relief and the itching ran it's normal course.
Sounds like athletes foot (but I'm not a Doc).  If your Dr doesn't think that's the case, perhaps Lidex (generic = Fluocinonide 0.05) cream would help...
I am experiencing the exact same thing if you get an answer let me know Its driving me crazy and it sound exactly the same Mine just started a few months ago I am thinking it possible is a reaction to maybe the fabric softener or detergent I am using because I just had this happen tonight after wrapping my feet in a blanket I just took out of the laundry
So maybe Let me know if you get any answers

Does the itch occur in any specific season, as in summers or rain? have you checked if it is because of a specific shoe or socks that you might be using?

It seems to be some kind of allergic reaction. You can try OTC anti-histamines or anti-allergics to give you some temporary relief. An allergy specialist can guide you further as to which therapy you may take and what tests can be done to figure out the allergan.

Let us know if you may have any more questions.

Good luck.
I can never tell when I'll get the foot itch. Mine only lasts for an hour but you can't ignore it. I do know that if  take an over the counter antihistimine it will be gone in 1/2 an hour. This indicates an allergy to something.  I am allergic to eggs and avoid anything with them like the plague.
I have problems with itching on my feet and the palms of my hands.  After literally years of experience I finally tracked the problem down to cola drinks (pepsi, coke, etc.)  Dr. Pepper seems to also be a problem.  Who would have thought a food allergy would cause itching in your feet.  My theory is that it's a shellfish based dye that they use in the soft drinks that's causing the problem, because I know I have a problem with shellfish.  Clear soft drinks like Sprite and Seven-up don't seem to cause a problem.  Even if your problem isn't caused by the same thing, you might start thinking about whether it might be some sort of food allergy.    
I have been suffering from insatiable itching in my feet when they are at rest, mostly at night - there are nights that is so severe that I get no sleep.  The itching seems to be a result of spasms within my muscles.  I don’t know why I have the muscle spasms but they have been constant for years now … I don’t think the muscles in my feet have been in rest for many years now.  During the day the spasms are mild but if I rest a pencil on my arch during the day it “dances” - I am certain that the night time itching is a result in increased spasms.  If anyone has the same symptoms I would love to hear from you.