Allergy Community
Extreme flea bite allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Extreme flea bite allergies

My daughter brought her two little shitzu dogs to visit for a few days and had not treated them with the flea preventative that she usually uses, because the weather had been cold and she didn't think there would be a problem.  Well, we had some warm days and the dogs brought fleas into the house.  Both she and I have a bad allergic reaction to the bites and my husband does not.  I flea bombed the house and am still feeling bites.  I itch all over and develop bad rash.  I have used hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine such as zyrtec and benadryl and had some prednisone on hand and it is the only thing that seems to help.  I hope to eradicate the fleas, but in the meantime what can I do to repel them from biting and relieve this itching?    
Avatar_dr_m_tn

In case of flea bites firstly, it’s important to keep the affected area clean. Wash the bites with some antiseptic lotion or soap. Use cold water but avoid the use of warm or hot water as this may tend to stimulate itch. Secondly, apply a cold pack over the bites to reduce swelling.

Pls do not scratch the inflamed area as this may lead to open wounds and secondary infections. You may apply a mild steroid cream like 1% hydrocortisone cream and take OTC anthistaminics like benadryl or Claritin. In case of intense itching an oral dose of anti-histamine like Dimetapp, Chlortrimeton is very effective in relieving itch. Once the itch stops, you will stop scratching as well and the healing will take place faster.

But if the symptoms do not improve or worsen then pls consult a dermatologist a course of antibiotics and a jab of steroid may be needed to stop the inflammation. Take care and God bless.

Thank you for your information and advice.  I am investigating flea repel products and have a suggestion to use Dawn liquid detergent in a water spray to repel them.  I will try it also and see if it keeps them from biting me.   God Bless you.
can humans develope asthma from severe reaction  to many flea bites.  my cat developed asthma from them.   ***@****