Allergy Community
Eye allergies just not getting cured.. ):

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I'm 21, I've been healthy all my life and never had any eye problems in the past. I've been suffering from burning and irritated eyes for the past 6 months. Been to several opthalmologists but no success. They dont seem to find anything wrong with my eyes. According to them its allergies. My eyes burn most of the day and turn red too. Mostly when i do near work like reading or computing. The right eye is more severe and veiny than the left. Just recently i had a few blood tests done. It shows an increase in the leukocytes in the
blood (normal range 5000-10000,Mine: 10,300). Another test shows increase in IGE levels. Immunoglobin Ige, SERUM 77.80 (normal range <64)
Which suggests that i have allergies and that is what is causing the burning. There is nasal congestion most of the time. One of the nostrils is blocked. I've tried different antihistamine medicines as well as drops but nothing seems to work. I just get worried more and more thinking over it. I feel as if it will never be cured. I wanted to know if its surely allergies that is causing the inflammation and burning? (as per the reports)
and what are the treatments i can try to get rid of it.

Will be grateful if replied. Thankyou!
Tags: immunoglobin IGE, serum, ige
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Raised IgE levels occur in an allergic response. So, the IgE levels will come down once the allergic reaction subsides. If there is itchiness watering. The eye symptoms can be due to an allergen.  Allergens include pollen, mold, dust and pet dander. Therapy lies in identifying the allergens and avoiding them and anti histamines. Even if you don't have a prior allergy to a substance, you may develop the same latter. Try identifying the allergen. An allergy specialist can help identify the allergens and desensitize you.

In the meantime steroid eye drops can help clear the eye irritation. Sometimes, dry eyes too cause pain, light sensitivity, a foreign body sensation and itching. For this the therapy is using artificial tear drops and ointment to lubricate the eyes. But please consult an ophthalmologist for further guidance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so very much! it was really helpful. Its difficult to identify what is causing the allergic response. Being in the same environment, sometimes is less irritating, sometimes it is troublesome. So hard to say what is the exact reason. Will visit an allergist after completing the treatment from the ophthalmologist. As u suggested he has prescribed antihistamines and drops.  Artificial tears (refresh tears), Gatifloxacin & dexamethasone eye drops (Gflotas - D), Azithromycin Tablets (Maxithral 250) and Levocetrizine dihydrochloride tablets (Xyzal). I personally believe in herbal and natural treatment. One which is long lasting and not temporary. So I'm planning to take ayurvedic tablets too with this treatment.

Along with the treatment, he has asked to keep eyes covered all the time using glasses. Have an appointment in 10 days if there is no improvement.
Will keep posted. Thanks once again! (:
Hello again,
                 I've continued the course of antihistamines and drops. Nothing seems to help. Just recently i also had my sinuses scanned. As per the doctor i also have sinusitis and allergic rhinitis. Could this be the clue to the puzzle? is sinusitis causing the burning and redness in the eyes? The drops dont seem to help. Please help me out, i'm visiting doctor after doctor. They dont seem to find anything wrong apart from the allergies. Thankyou!
My wife has been going through the same thing for almost 18 months! Her right eye is worse and she has been and done everything you have including natural therapies and all we can put it down to is some environmental allergy causing conjunctivitis. We have lived in the same area for over 20 years and she has always had a bit of irritation but nothing like this. The skin on the lids is red and dry and the eyes 'pink' and the conjunctivitis is always there. A couple of time the drops helped and when it seemed like it was nearly fixed it came back again and nothing helps.
This isn't helping you, but at least you know you aren't alone. Maybe somebody has some suggestions.
keep your chin up.
Exactly! In April last year for around two weeks my eyes were almost normal but then it returned again. Conjunctivitis just keeps coming back and doesnt get cured. Mast cell stabilizers help in my case. They reduce the symptoms but no permanent cure. And i know that i'm not alone. In my searches i stumbled upon a website called dryeyezone. In that site there are many like us. I just hope that there is relief soon. :|
Hi, I have allergic conjunctivitis.  It frequently causes blurred vission.  However, if I do a saline eye wash (using contact lens normal saline only because a friend had to have a cornea replacement because he used tap water).  I follow the eye wash with allergy eye drops.  

This treatment is very effective for me.  When using it, I never have blurred vision.

Have you ever asked your doctors about dry eye?  Liquid tears may help your symptoms.

God bless.
Can you tell how to prepare and use the saline eye wash?
Yep, I've asked many. All said its allergic conjunctivitis. The oral antihistamines dont seem to work. But mast cell stabilisers (drops) do reduce the symptoms a lot.
By the way, I also have sinusitis.
Hi - what are mast cell stabilisers? what drops do you use that help a lot?
Its a temporary relief thing. Mast stabilisers stop the histamine release in the eyes and hence there is symptomatic improvement.
Ahh! mm.
I'll post if there is improvement!
I also get similar symptoms but I know mine is caused by the chem spraying they are doing in California , they have taken sample of soil and ground water and know we are being bombarded by toxins  Many People are suffering the same , you may want to check out online whether your country and area have aerial chem spraying .
They do everything possible here to try to poison us with chemical sprays of crops and stocking the supermarkets with imported canned and frozen crap from China that they can think of. Ask the authorities and they will deny it! You are right - it is something airborn that is causing this but none of us will ever find out what.
thanks for your input - I will pass it on to 'the boss' when she gets out of the bath.
Hi glad you read it , I am serious ..both myself and another member 'Ginger' have journals up,check them outwith links she lives in the Uk I am in the US+, I have the symptoms you describe. do some research and put where you live in' Down Under' also check out what the chemicals are they are not spraying crops .Good luck
Improvement anybody? :|