Allergy Community
Facial flushing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Facial flushing

I've had a few episodes of facial flushing and I want to know if this is allergy related.  I'm at top doses of allergy shots but I hard this is not allergy related and and now I'm worried about carcinoid syndrome.  The symptoms of flushing usually occur within 20 minutes of waking up and being overheated and go away with claritin and a shower.

Any info is greatly appreciated!  I've been terrified of carcinoid syndrome!
I wanted to add that the rash is usually itchy and goes down my arms too.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How old are you?

There are several causes of flushing that are more common than the carcinoid syndrome.
These include physiologic flushing due to hormone level fluctuations and photosensitivity.

The flushing in carcinoid syndrome is mediated by kallikrein and not histamine, so it would not respond to claritin, which is an antihistamine.

Carcinoid syndrome is also accompanied by diarrhea and heart failure.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards
Thank you for your thoughts on the carcinoid, I'm feeling a little better already and since reading about carcinoid I haven't been able to sleep or think straight.

A little more background:  I am 36 years old.  I am at top doses of allergy meds.  I just went to the doctor for a sinus infection.  I saw the physician's assistant and asked about the facial redness and itching and that's when I was told that its flushing and has nothing to do with allergies.  He said it would go away that quickly only with benedryl, not claritin, and that flushing was an endocrine disorder.  He said the shower was the reason it went away.

It doesn't happen on a "regular" basis.  It's happened maybe 5 times in the last year.  Usually I'm sleeping and very hot and sweaty and it happens within 20 minutes of waking up.  Last month I had hormone levels tested because I had missed 2 periods and had hair loss, and some other hormone type symptoms but they all came back normal.  

I do have ulcerative colitis which is not active right now.  I do not have regular diarrhea, but if I have it from time to time, that is normal for me.

I've also been feeling lightheaded (not at the same time as the flushing) and am noted as having low blood pressure. I usually notice I am very light-headed after bending over and standing up or when getting up from lying down for a long time.

I've also had 5 sinus infections in the last year, and finally I've taken phentermine for diet for the better part of the last 10 years and read that it's been linked to carcinoid.  I am NOT taking the phentermine anymore nor will I after this scare!

Thank you,
Michelle