Allergy Community
Feeling of something stuck in throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Feeling of something stuck in throat

Hi.  For a month now, I've had this feeling of something being stuck in my throat, or as if there is a lump or something there.  I have been to an ear, nose, throat specialist twice.  He put me on Augmentin for 10 days, plus a precscription antacid.  He thought I had "Silent Reflux".......meaning I have no heartburn or any other symptoms, but that the acid was skipping my stomach and going to my throat, basically.  This did not work.  The next appt., he put a tube with the camera down my nose and looked at my throat.  He saw nothing.  He also did an XRay on my sinuses.  He saw that I had a blockage and an infection.  My septum is also crooked.  I told him I have no problems, although I do have drainage that I had not ever really noticed until all of this came up.  He put me on another round of antibiotics (5 day Z pack) and prescribed Flonase.  This has also NOT WORKED.  I'm about to lose my mind.  I go back in 2 days.  The doctor wants to check me for allergies,,,,,,,,,which I know I have, but they haven't bothered me at all.   Just curious if anyone else has experienced this, did it go away, and what did you do for it.  Thank you very much!
My son feels the same thing, a "lump in his throat".  The ENT found a low grade infection in his ear and is treating him for that.  He was also diagnosed with GERD he is now on Previcid and it seems to helping.  He still has to use a nasal spray as well.  Not sure how long he has to stay on the GERD meds and really hoping it cures his lump in throat issue for good!  
I'm wondering if where both of you had infections could that be causing the lump feeling.  My son says it feels like mucus buildup!  Is that what you feel?
Hi, welcome to the forum, this feeling of lump in the throat is known as Globus sensation. This is mainly seen in gastro esophageal reflex disease or hyperplastic tonsil. The other possibilities are abnormal upper esophageal sphincter function, stress or psychological abnormality causes this sensation due to altered upper esophageal pressure.

Post nasal drip due to sinusitis can also cause such sensations. Do not worry, it is a self limiting condition and will recover in a week. But it needs treatment with appropriate antibiotics as there are chances of secondary bacterial infection, and as well as nasal decongestants and anti inflammatory against prescription will help. Otherwise you can undergo drainage procedure (FESS). I suggest you to consult ENT specialist. Take care and regards.

makes me a little happier reading that all ive been reading about is how poeple havent felt it go away i have no acid reflux or allergies never have the only time ive had heart burn is when i was pregnant with my son iv had this for 4 days and am losing my mind like everyone else i hope i have an infection and soon will be back to normal.... maybe its time to book an appoinment with my family doctor just incase it doesnt go away.. yes i seen a walk in DR and got antibiotics
So what do you do when your allergic to every antibiotic under the sun, and can not afford medical treatment. I have had this for almost a year now, and I feel like I am going to choke to death.