Allergy Community
Fever after cortisone injection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Fever after cortisone injection

I had a cortisone injection in my foot 2 weeks ago for plantar fascitis.  Within 3 hours I had a fever.  It ranges from 99.6 - 101.5F.  (I normally sit around 97.8F)  I have had 2 CBC's, inflammation testing, urinalysis, levels for virus were tested, etc.  I have seen my CNP, another MD, and my podiatrist.  All of them say the fever has NOTHING to do with the cortisone injection. So am I crazy?  Is it just plain coincidence?  Or is my body having a reaction to the cortisone?  And will the fever ever go away???  This is hindering daily life 10 fold.......... Any suggestions?
You are NOT crazy.  I have this same problem.  Not only do I run fever, I begin having difficulty breather, my skin flushes and becomes very painful that I cannot stand anything touching me.  I went to a neurosurgeon last week and he offered epidural injuections of steroids.  After I told him what the cortisone and steroids do to me, he said that he has another lady in his office that has the exact same problem.  He said it is confusing because there are no warning labels on the medication about this, but people can suffer side effects and can develop and allergy to the medication.  The best thing you can do is stop receiving the injections and avoid all steroids whether they be injected or given orally.  This is what I have had to do and I am fine now.  The fever will go away, but it will take a little bit.  It is a reaction to the cortisone so do not let any doctor tell you otherwise.  It is possible to have a reaction to the medication.  If they have questions about this, tell them to contact Dr. J Michael Calhoun in Arkansas, as he has two patients who have this same problem.  Do not allow them to give you another one.  With each injection I received, the reaction got worse.  I would not wish the side effects of this upon anyone as it is painful, miserable and causes agony.
Hi, welcome to the forum, cortisone belongs to a corticosteroid group of drugs. It is very effective drug in reducing the inflammation (which is mediated by various cytokines in the body). Cortisone is unlikely to cause the fever or raised body temperature.

In such cases we need to rule out the possibility of the infection. If there is a bone pain, we can suspect a infection like osteomyelitis. You may need to repeat complete blood counts along with ESR and CRP after few days. If infection suspected then it needs appropriate antibiotic treatment.

Other possibilities can be connective tissue disorder like sarcoidsis, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE etc. ESR will help to rule out any on going chronic inflammation. I suggest you to consult physician for further evaluation. Take care and regards.
That would be nice DOCTOR if your answer actually pertained to the question.
I had an injection to my hip while it was being injected I had severe pain that ran into my knee, I have had injections before for heel spurs and bursistis in my shoulder never have I felt that intense pain. Now when I woke this morning I am running a fever and am flushed and have a terrible headache  what is all this about?
I know this is a long time after the original post but must disagree with you about the fever.  I had xray guided steroid injection to lumbar spine about 6 weeks ago and ran fever for about 3-4 days afterwards.  Last friday the injection was repeated and again started running a fever within a few hours and tonight 5 1/2 days later am still running 99.6 and being hypothyroid I usually have a lower than usual temp.
I had a cortisone shot less than a week ago..and within a few days I noticed hot and cold flushings, had a fever, body aches, headache, very tired, bloated, severe pain in other joints and areas of soft tissue weakness, like and old left inguinal hurnia...hurts so very bad and feels extremely week like when I needed surgery on it.  I called doc's office, and of course they tell me it has nothing to do with the shot,....why aren't doctors aware of all of this?  It is insane that they don't and that they make patients feel like they are insane, when clearly, the more I read, the more common it is...and I know it's real!  How do we make doctors aware of this?  My knee hurts now more than before the shot....they are suggesting lubrication shots now and then knee replacement....I am scared.
i have just gone through the same thing after getting a injection in my L4 L5. About 2 hrs later i got a fever of 102 and called the Dr and now i'm on 800 mg antibiotic and pain med and Motrin and off work until the infection is gone. i really don't know what to do now i don't want another injection but i don't want to live in pain and can not function on pain meds? Just let you know you are not alone and this does happen.
I just recieved an injuection in both of my knees.  I'm 36, so this was very scary as I worried of what's to come.  The first knee was discomfort with the injection and the second was very painful.  I expressed this to my doctor and he stated "I shouldn't be feeling that much pain"... well I was!!  Couldn't sleep much the night after, and the next day, had a bad headache (rare for me), no appetite, dizzy and my chest and face were constantly red.  I feel as if I have a fever, but haven't taken my temp yet!

Sounds to me that this is more common than not.  Think of all the people that don't post on sites, yet are having these symptoms.

I had two cortisone shots yesterday afternoon into my right foot. i have severe sesamoiditis. this is my first time every receiving cortisone shots. the doctor said he put four things into his "cocktail", two being long and short term Novocaine and the others steroids. about 2 hours after the shots my toe hurt worse than before. now today i feel like i have had a fever for the past few hours and it started as really bad headache and my foot is still really painful. i am at work but as soon as i get home i will take my temp to confirm the fever but i am pretty positive and i look flush with red cheeks. i have never had an allergic reaction to any medication ever. if i still have a fever when i get home i am definitely calling my doctor.
You only know what medical school taught you! And guess what... They hide the truth from you. Its like a cult. They are cult leaders and you are their sheeple. I got severely sick after cortisone shot. Fevers, headaches, violent vomiting, swelling and disruption of menses- bleeding for long time etc... I thought I am dying and I was perfectly healthy female up until this shot.  So when you say that cortisone shots are " safe" and extremely good you are lying . Its artificial hormone that human body does not recognize and it causes many problems. It creates new diseases that were not there before.  People do not associate the changes in health with cortisone shots they received because medical doctors will tell them " it has nothing to do with it" and they trust medical doctors like gods. You are wrong. The cortisone shot is a " poison" injected and you are a puppet of AMA. People do not trust doctors when they say drugs are safe, this is the only " tools" they have. Poisonous drugs.  All they do is read in their books what to give you what the " protocol says" and they only parrot ( repeat) what AMA taught them and they truly do not care to listen to patients. They refuse to see the truth because to give you those poisonous drugs keeps them well fed and rich. Run from cortisone injection and steroids of any kind and go to naturopath who can Inject the affected area with natural oxygen injection and you will heal beautifully and you shall have no side effects.
My daughter had a cortisone injection last night and she is running a fever today and she feels terrible. I am so sorry I let them do that. I thought it would get rid of her pain.
I had a cortizone shot )80mg)on 8-3-14 for poison ivy. The first time ever getting a steroid shot. It has completely changed me. I have been to the doctor numerous times and I am sick of going. I run a fever that comes and goes. Yes I have had blood tests, several. The area that I got the shot in still hurts. I will never get another shot and doctors act like you are an idiot. They do not know enough about this or prednisone.It has made my hair fall out and screwed with me periods and made me feel very different. I iwsh I would have known what I was getting . All they said was we can give you a shot to help with the itch. I just thought it was suped up benadryl or an actual allergy shot.I asked my doctor to be honest with me the other day on how long it takes to rid myself of this poison and he said it can be a few months.These drugs cause more problems that what they treat. I am so mad that I had this shot. Never again.I am sick of being sick and no explanation. Also, it caused major digestive problems. I might not ever return to normal. I am on doxycycline now to try and get rid of a cough respiratory infection from where it messes with your immune system. Any doctor that says it isn't due to the steroid is uneducated by far.