Allergy Community
Fluid in ear from allergies.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Fluid in ear from allergies.

I've had a cold brought on from allergies for over a week. It caused fluid to build up in my left ear. I've been given lots of sample allergy pills and told to get Mucinex to help remove the fluid but neither has worked. Then I was given a prescription for an antibiotic which has not worked. I've tried all the home remedies to remove the fluid....ear drops, hair dryer blown at ear, heat pack on ear, popping my ears (which I tried and failed to do). I can't find anything else to try that doesn't sound ridiculous. I am open to any suggestions. The fluid is driving me nuts and I can't hear.
Please and Thank You
Molly

From your post I gather that you may have either a swollen middle ear or a blocked eustachian tube (which connects the inner ear and the oral and nasal chambers)

In either case, it takes some time for the fluid to get completely absorbed. Nonetheless proper antibiotic usage and other measures may shorten the period of illness and aid in absorption of the fluid.

While I am sure that the doctor who prescribed the antibiotic did so in good faith, I would recommend you to take a second opinion to be satisfied that the issue is being properly attended too.

I hope that this resolves soon for you. Keep me posted
I called in to my doctors office to see if I had given the medication long enough to take effect and all they did was try to call in for a new prescription. I'm not sure what the new prescription was for, but it makes me wonder if this is all just trial and error...
I don't know, I just wish tthat this would go away...having fluid in my ears is the most irritating sensation.
Hi Molly,
I am not a doctor, but I have had allergies for years and know what works for me.  My neighbor is a nurse and she advised me to take 2 Mucinex and 2 Sudafed together to see real results and assured me that these are safe therapeutic doses.  It needs to be taken together to work.  Within an hour or so I notice lots of drainage in the back of my throat (yuck!).  Pressure in my ears and sinuses subside.  The only down side is feeling nauseated for a bit because of all of the drainage.  That is the only thing that works for me and it works every time.

I think that there must be some background as to why the doctor gave you a particular therapy. You can call and ask about the drugs and their effects on you.

It is also important to understand that you must only take prescription tablets under a physician's advise and care. Please do not experiment with yourself.

You can go back to the same doctor or go to another for your complaints. Unfortunately, one cannot prescribe medication to you on this forum without an examination and/or history/physical.

I hope you get some relief soon.