Allergy Community
Fluid in ears from allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Fluid in ears from allergies

I am taking Robitussin to help get rid of fluid build up in my ears.  Is there anything else that will work to help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears with fluid build up. This can also result in infection of the ears. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva manoeuvre, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations can help clear the tube.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.