Allergy Community
HELP - huge welts from mosquito bites
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HELP - huge welts from mosquito bites

I took a walk through the Wetlands yesterday by my house completely forgetting that we have black salt marsh mosquitoes here.  There was an infestation last year that was awful but these bites are even worse.  I have about 5 bites & they are the size of GOLF BALLS.  One bicep is completely swollen because I think there are 2 bites there.  The back of my leg is even bigger than a golf ball.  I know it has to be mosquitoes because as soon as we hit the trail we got smacked by them & I just said "what was that" and kept walking forgetting about the mosquitoes.

I don't have health insurance right now & I'm really worried.  Is this a normal reaction?  The areas are really red but I have been scratching.  What can I do?  Vector Control didn't help much & the pharmacy just said Benadryl.
Related Discussions
How are you? Do you have allergy to medications?

Some of the mosquito saliva proteins can cause immune reactions, including allergic reactions. Typically, however, most people have a variety of reactions to mosquito bites, and the symptoms change over time, depending on the amount of bites a person received. If you've received many bites and you get welts, you may want to take an H1 sedating/non-sedating antihistamine like Zyrtec, Benadryl, or apply an antihistamine cream, like Antisan. If you do apply an antihistamine cream, be sure to apply it only to those areas affected by mosquito bites. You can also take a cold shower or take Ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling of the welts caused by mosquito bites.

Continued treatment for particularly bad mosquito bites is usually done with a topical antihistamine cream like Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream. It should not be applied not more than 4 times a day or used more than a week. However, if symptoms persists and you experience difficulty of breathing, it would be best to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank