Allergy Community
HELP. I CANT SMELL ANYTHING- LOSS OF SMELL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I HAVE HAD TWO SINUS SURGERIES IN THE PAST 3 YEARS. AFTER THE LAST SURGERY I LOST MY SENSE OF SMELL. WHENEVER I WAS PUT ON A ANTI-BIOTIC FOR ANOTHER MEDICAL PROBLEM I WOULD GET BOUTS OF "WOW WHAT IS THAT SMELL"..I COULD SMELL FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME. I TALKED TO MY DOCTOR ABOUT IT BUT HE DOESNT SEEM CONCERNED.. I AM USING NASONEX, CLARITIN, ADVAIR, SINGULAR FOR MY ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA. I ALSO TAKE CELEBREX AND ZOLOFT. NOW I CANT SMELL AT ALL NOT EVEN AFTER ANTIBIOTICS OR STEROID MEDS.
IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING. I HAVE ASTHMA AND CANT TELL IF I AM SMELLING SOMETHING THAT WOULD IRRITATE ME. I CANT SMELL IF THERE IS A FIRE OR SOMETHING BURNING...ANYONE OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM AND DID YOU FIND SOMETHING TO FIX IT...
My brother has had this problem.  he recently underwent surgery to repair two holes in his sinus and to rebuild his right sinus cavity.  Since his surgery, his sense of smell has returned.  You said that you've had two surgeries already.  Is it possible that one of the surgeries caused temporary nerve damage?  It can take up to 6 months for nerves to repair following surgery... just some food for thought... good luck with getting a doctor that will get to the source of it for you.
Since I have become pregnant, I have absolutely no sense of smell. I've always has sinus problems and have taken antibiotics in the past to clear them up.
I am limited on what I take during the pregnancy, I did take antibiotics during my first trimeter but stopped beacuse they were making me sick. I am currrently on a nasal steriod which helps clear the blockage but has not restored my sense of smell. Help me please I'm at a loss, I want to be able to smell my baby good and bad.
I lost my sense of smell, hence by taste, after using Zicam products for treatment of a head cold.  I don't want to sue or file claims--I just want my sense of smell restored.  I have never had a head injury.  I don't have chronic sinus problems.  The air passage through by nose and sinus cavaties is clear and not obstructed.  However, I can not smell.  I can not smell cologne, coffee, and I have even held a jar of Vicks salve under my nose and I smelled nothing.  Except for texture and temperature, I can not taste the difference between chocolate ice cream and salsa.  I would appreciate any suggestions that might help restore my sense of smell and taste.  Thanks.    Don

The loss of sense of smell is called - ANOSMIA; in medical terminology. There are several causes of anosmia that need to be ruled out to establish the correct diagnosis.

You would need to see an ENT specialist for a detailed clinical examination and relevant investigations and then decide about the further plan of mangement.

What is your age? Do you have any other symptoms related to your ear, nose or throat?

Let us know about how you are doing and what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I had Asnosmia - I got it after an intense sinus infection and could not smell or taste for about 8 months.. I tried the conventional medicine route as you are doing and it didn't work.  I then went on a detox diet and got tested for food allergies.  I elminated the foods I was allergic to.  I also started seeing a DO (Osteopath) and started getting accupunture.  This combination worked for me and now my smell/taste is back about 90 percent.  
I too have lost my sense of smell and therefore sense of taste. I noticed it after I had a really bad cold/flu with a probable sinus infection..I took Levaquin (antibiotic) for the sinus problem but had to stop  due to some VERY unpleasant side deffects..I have  read that this antibiotic could be the reason for the loss but more than likely the viral infection ..whatever the reason, it stinks..It's been about 6 weeks now so I'll give it another month and then probably go to an ENT..But by the way it sounds from others, that will probably be a dead end street...I also have allergies and asthma so wo knows..but since it started right afte the flu, I am leaning toward my  virus theory
I quit smoking  2 months ago...had a period of shortness of breath and anxiety, now unable to smell!!! I can only distinguish texture consistency and temp.Im  currently taking zoloft, with no other problems or medications.Its so frustratiing to make the right health choice by not smoking but have given up the extreme pleasure of eating.I have gained weight. 10 pds. all by shear inability to satiate my appetite.Its definitely a tough and missed sense.
I have the very symptoms as penngirl.  I developed upper chest congestion about 4 weeks ago, along with a LOT of phlegm in my sinuses.  This went on for a couple weeks, during that time I lost my sense of smell.  I finally went to my doctor and he prescribed antibiotics.  Neither of us were concerned about the smell problem, chalking it up to my blocked sinuses.  

Well, my chest is all but cleared up now but I continue to produce a lot of phlegm, even though I can breath easily.  NO smell whatsoever and I'm getting concerned.  
Hello doctor, i cant smell or taste at all, ive recently have nasal polys removed. the surgery went all good, i couldnt smell before the surgery eitha. im 22, it is very dificult and i really hate it. i need someone to help me out. i havnt been able to smell for approx 2 years now and fear. im goin on a vaccation next month and want to get sorted by then, is there any chance someone can help me out. iv tried all the nasal sprays, absolutley nothing wont help. my smell is completely gone ealia on today i put my nose in vicks and could smell absolutely NOTHING. there must be someone that could help, ive heard about an injection call kenlog will this help? will my smell and taste ever return back to normal? i was completely fine about 2 years ago.
Thank you (By Shoulin)
Why aint no one replying?
I have not been able to smell for the last 9 years unless the doctor put me on steroids or antibiotics.  I have asthma also, so in addition to Singulair, Advair, Nasacort and Astelin sprays, I was also taking Alegra-D and Claritin -D every day for over 9 years.  My husbands doctor mentioned that taking Claritin -D every day was not good since it could have some negative effects after a while.  I decided not to take it and ~ 2 weeks later I started to get my sense of smell back.  I COULD SMELL AGAIN AFTER ALMOST 10 YEARS!  It is not strong, but I can smell BBQ's and the beach and perfume and food and I am so happy to be able to taste and smell again.  It is a whole new world!  Who knew? So if anyone has been taking Claritin -D or some form of it for a while, ask your doctor if it advisable to get a break from it and see if you start to get your sense of smell back.  Miraculously it worked for me.  Let me know!  Hope it helps.
I have stop smoking for 8 months now and I've had trouble not being able to smell or my food doesn't taste good at all. I've been to the doctor and
they say that they cant help me. I would love to be able to taste good
food again or be able to know if something is burning.
HELP ME PLEASE
One year ago, in Oct. '07, I was eating and I said to my husband, I can't taste this!  He thought it was just a temporary condition.  I have alway had sinus issues.  They wanted to do surgery 20+ yrs. ago and I refused.  Of course I could still taste and smell then.  I had really bad veritgo back then but I started irrigating my sinuses regularly and my issues seemed to subside.  Until a little over a year ago.  Back in Apr '08 I had polyps removed and I was told by my ENT the I may never get my sense of smell or taste back.  Surgery went well. Sense of smelll and taste are not back.  It is sooooo frustrating because if it take a course of prednisone or steroid shots, they both come back.  So I know they can't be gone completely!  People think that you are lucky 'cause you won't eat much if you can't taste, therefore able to maintain your weight.  But that is sooooo not true as you tend to just eat and eat, waiting for the sense of taste satisfication.  It TRULY messes with your quality of life.  My husband has to smell the milk before I pour my cereal.  I don't know if my kitty box smells.  I don't know if I smell!!!!  Needless to say they lack of enjoyment of going out to eat and having a nice meal.  I can't tell the difference between turkey or prime rib!!!  This has got to be able to be treated since I can taste if given steroids!!  
I had a real bad cold and ended up with a sinus infection. I used Flonaize one time and stopped after it made my head hurt so bad I couldn't stand it.  I had xrays, cat scan and that tube they put in your sinuses (ouch) and there is nothing wrong with me everything looks great! What is wrong with me?
I had bronchitis, was treated with oxygen, Medrol IV(prednisone), IV of Avelox and sent home on Prednisone 50 mg 1 tablet for 5 days and Avelox 500 mg 1 tablet for 7 days. Then after all congestion was gone I had no smell or taste whether it would be something good or bad, sweet or salty..I only can go by texture of food which is not very satisfying. I need to lose weight and only eat if I am experiencing hunger pains or my stomach growls. I fi8nished the antibiotic 1-9-09 and it is now 1-28-09. My doctor says I have glossitis and the pharmacist says "it should come back". No one gives me any more info than that.
I have not been able to smell for about 8-9 years now. About 6-7 years back, I went to see an ENT and discovered I had polyps. The week I was on prednisone, my polyps shrank and I could smell for the first time in several years; Chocolate was like 100 times better. I then had endoscopic surgery to remove the polyps, after which I smelled mostly blood for the next few weeks. Within a few months afterwards, my sinuses clogged and again, my polyps have grown back; leaving me without the ability to smell. During this time, my sons were born, so in some respects, it was good timing to deal with smelly diapers, etc. However without smell, your tastes are greatly diminished and you cannot enjoy the good smells. At times, I swear I can smell something, but it turns out to be a memory sensation than an actual smell.

I do not understand why nasal polyps are becoming more prevalent. No one in my family had them before, yet I was 'lucky' enough to get them. Apparently there is no known way to permanently get rid of nasal polyps.
Several weeks ago I was treated with Avelox for a resp. infection.  I was also taking zicam oral disinigrating tabs.  I am desperate for my smell and taste to return.  Nothing and I am getting concerned.  Anyone experience this from antibiotics and did your taste and smell return?
I have not smelled or tasted in 5 years.. except when taking steroids. it has changed me mentally as im depressed about anything food related and life in general is not very enjoyable.  I had polyps removed by my ENT and had smell back for a month until they came right back. I have had my allergies and asthma under control for years now. I have seen four different specialists including a naturopath and nobody can figure it out. I'm currently eating nothing but fish and chicken with greens, just to rule out any food issues..
WE NEED TO FIND A WAY TO GET RID OF THE POLYPS.
PLEASE HELP.
My smell/taste disappeared about 4-5 years ago when I started Advair. It apparently caused a huge jump in eosinophils that have gathered around my olfactory nerves. When I'm on prednisone, it "chases" them away and I can smell/taste, but of course that is not a desirable long term solution. Have asthma (controlled) and have had polyps removed twice and they have not come back. Life is indeed dull without smell and taste --- food is all about presentation and texture now. I wish someone could figure out how to get rid of the eosinophil overload.
My problems are pretty similar to everyone else's here.

I snorted at the comment, "my doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it".  Yeah, he can smell.

Anyway bitter attitude aside, I notice that about the only person who has gotten his or her smell back was using accupuncture, which I've been thinking about trying myself, since western medicine seems incapable and unconcerned.  Does anyone else have any accupunture experiences?
I lost my sense of smell and taste about 8 years ago.  I had sinus surgery several years before but it did not affect the senses.  Last Easter morning I woke up and the sense came back.  I smelled the bacon cooking, the barbeque at the restaurant.  I could not believe it.  This lasted about 2 weeks and went away completely.  So the sense is still there somewhere!  I have not considered accupuncture but that is an idea.

RexinTexas
Please HELP !!
Lost the sense of smell completely after my 1st & 2nd  sugery removing the polyps about 15 years ago. I was so miserable and down. Any good & nice cuisine, there's no taste completely.Out of the sudden in the year 2007, my sense of smell returned, I was so happy and overjoyed, that lasted for only 3 years, then it was shut off again, No smell No taste.
Had tried all kind of medications and of no help. Please adv.

William
Singapore
well i never had a nose sugery but i could not small at all .  i cant smell anything at all  its a good thing at times but its kinda a bad thing to live alone witht his stuff fires, gas, kitty litter lol  but still i wish there is a way i can smell
I have the same problem... I cannot smell or taste and it's been about three years.  When the ENT doc puts me on Prednisone and Antibiotic, I can smell and taste.  I've had blood test ran, allergy tests done by the scratch and blood, everything came out negative.  I had a sinus surgery...nothing.  I'm in the same boat as everyone else....is there any help out there?
I have also had 2 surgeries.  My first one was 17 years ago and I had great results that lasted almost 15 years.  My last surgery was almost 2 years ago.  I haven't much sense of smell or taste in almost a year.  It comes and goes with certain medications such as steroids.  I am also using Nasonex.  Recently my sister told me to try Oil of Oregano she has a book that talks all about the benefits of this oil. Its called "The Cure is in 'the Cupboard".  It may sound a little crazy but I have been taking 3-6 drops a day in a small amount of juice.  At first I took it 2 times a day because I was so desperate within a week I could taste and smell!!  It tastes pretty nasty I won't lie but its working for me!  I always had a weird coated feeling and taste in my mouth, thats gone too!  The first few days I could not even taste it at all.  I'm amazed and will keep on taking it.  I have also bought oregano in capsule form called Oregamax.  I bought it at Whole Foods.  It's expensive too.  $30 for each the oil and the capsules but to me, well worth it!  Please post if you try it and it works for you.  I'm curious.  GOOD LUCK!  It ***** to have this very frustrating problem!  
I kept having re occurring sinus infections and could not smell anything for the longest time. I went to a ton of ear, nose and throat doctors who couldn't figure out the problem. Finally, an allergist said I was inflammed due to my soaps I was using. So I purchased an all natural hypoallergenic baby body soap and also laundry detergent- in about 6 days, I could smell again! The cheapestbut best allergy free products I have yet to find are at www.alleproproducts.com
Hope this helps.
Woke up with anosmia today. How scary! After hours of freaking out. I drank some coffee and blew my nose. Within seconds after the sinus pressure decreased I was able to smell again. The symptom is weird. Who ever knew you could lose your sense of smell. Although I didn't seek immediate medical attention, you probably should. Just to be on the safe side. Even checking with an allergist could explain the signs of anosmia. Never want to go through that again. Also I sprayed nasonex in my nose before I hit the rack. O aslo too a nighttime mult-cold pill(can't remember the name). Hope this helps some. Just don't panic, and try and figure out what mess you took and ask your self some diagnostic type questions. Good luck.
I've lost my smell and taste for 8 weeks now. No allergies or medical issues. Suffered sinusitus on and off for years. Keep good health. But miss food and nature. Everything is bland now. Had antibiotics and nasal spray. Nothing. So sad