Allergy Community
Hand Sanitizers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hand Sanitizers

I have noticed recently that when I use certain hand sanitizers (such as Purell), I get a bunch of small red bumps, that are a little bit itchy, on the back of my hands and fingers. They're harmless and go away after a few days or so. I doubt that it's related to alcohol, since I've never had a reaction to drinking alcohol. What could I be reacting to here?
Hey kreatyve.
Welcome to the forum.

Check the cosmetics database website.
You will be surprised! There are very few "innocent" commercial products.
Do not trust anything. Check,check,check. Even organic or all natural products!
You're  -most likely-reacting to the added fragrances (synthetic chemicals).
Hope this helps.
Blessings
Nikodicreta
It may be possible that you are allergic to any of the constituents or fragrance of the hand sanitizer. To confirm the diagnosis you need to get it checked by an allergist. Diagnosis of allergy can be done by skin ***** tests and patch tests. In this a little amount of allergen is injected into the skin of the forearm by a doctor. The skin is closely watched for signs of a reaction, which include swelling and redness. Confirmatory diagnosis is by blood tests (RAST).
As far as possible avoid using this particular hand sanitizer.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.