Heat Spots on legs
I am 37 years old, my youngest Child is 3 months. For 3 days now I have been getting seemingly random 'hot spots'  on my legs, they start as a small heat ***** feeling and 'bloom'  out into a larger area of warmth. This is not painfull and there are no visible effects on my skin.  I do spend a lot of time on the floor with the children , could this be some sort of allergy to the carpet? The carpet is not new and there is no external irritation to the skin. Or should I see a doctor about it? ( note: I do have a history of cancer personally and in my family, but have been cancer free for 20 years).
So far the Aleve has made no difference.  Still experiencing the sensation several times a day.  No better, no worse.
I am 21 and I have no kids and the spot is on the back of my left thigh. It happens multiple times randomly throughout the day. Not painful just warm like I leaned up against the oven at work or something, then its gone. Does anyone think it may be nerves in our backs damaged or something?
I have this odd symptom, too.  I'm guessing it has something to do with either a reaction to caffiene or a seasonal allergy.  I'm expecting it will just go away.  Warm spots are on my right lower leg.  I am 50, F, and very healthy and active.
I've been taking the Aleve for nearly a month now and the symptoms have nearly disappeared!  I was experiencing that hot flush in my thigh several times a day and now it's only a couple of times a week.  My back also feels better, but the Sciatica remains.
My wife says its the holy spirit! Is anyone involved with the church or very religious?
I am 35 and recently I have been experiencing hot patches on my left leg. It started mainly on the outer calf and feels like someone has suddenly pressed a hot water bottle up against me and then after a second or two it disappears. I did the norm and googled it and came up with blood clots etc. It has now moved to my left knee and am guessing clots dont move that quick around the body so I am hoping its absolutely nothing. I am so glad I found this site and realise I am not alone!!!
Exactly the same - temporary hot spots on my left leg just left of shin with no external signs.  I also have nerve damage in my groin and take amitripyline for this.  I strongly suspect this is related to that nerve damage. Nerve damage is a bit of an enigma in the medical community however it is known to just fizzle out so crossed fingers for all of us.
I just started to experience this last week.  Mainly my right leg.  A heat sensation that comes out of no-where, last a few seconds and then *poof* it's gone.  Reading all of these comments, I'm not as concerned, but do have an appointment with my fam doc.  I have noticed that it starts to happen after I've eaten/drank dairy.  The other night I had some ice-cream, and by the time I went to bed, my legs felt like they were on fire!  I woke up the next morning, and no problems.  I do think it has something to do with dairy.
I am 42 yrs old lost lots of the weight over the last 4 years,very active until plagued with pain of numerous sorts from sciatica to tendenitus of upper rotary cuff ect in the last week i have started having a warmth in my right leg that radiates down to my toes on same leg and kinda a bit like butterflies sensation too!!It happens on and off all day no particular time i could be sitting standing walking laying it doesnt seem to matter!!I The same leg has also been shaking when i exercise get nervous sometimes for no reason and have had this for 2 years now after i was doing kick boxing with same leg!!Im wondering if the back problem ie sciatica and the shaking and now the warmth is all linked???I am also on anti-depressants and have gone from 22 hours a week in the gym to 4 cos i just have no energy yet i go to bed and i cant sleep....... HELP!
I'm a 43 year old teacher of 15 years and no biological children, but recently adopted 5 kids at once...(nope, not crazy...just a blessing from God) Anyways, the weather here has gotten summer like hot already and last Friday as I went to my car after school, I noticed the seat was rather hot from the sun, so I tolerated it and drove home; however, as I went along our daily commute, I noticed my back right thigh was getting hotter and hotter, but not so much at all on the left side at all. I even thought maybe my winter heated seat button had gotten turned on accidentally...but nope not the case. So I brushed it off again...but in the days that have followed, I have noticed daily the same heating up sensation in the same area. It's the feeling you get when someone sneaks up and puts a lighter to you jeans without you realizing it like folks did in their teens etc. just a sudden hotness that seems to linger. Anyways, I "googled"  "sudden hot sensations in legs" and found this site. Seems I'm not the only one dealing with this unusual sensation. Pondering if I should see a doctor or not... thinking the marijuana thing sounded FUN...but that's not me...lol...but a bit concerned hearing folks mention "blood clots."  Any thoughts replied to this would greatly be appreciated. :) Thanks.
I went to my doctors yesterday with it as now i have like butterflys in my leg too and it keeps giving way on me and feels like jelly ect!!She seems to think its something to do with my back and is sending me to see a nuerologist.I would say go to your doctor hun ya can never be too sure!!Im quite scared to be honest.....
I starting noticing warm spots in my upper thigh of my left leg, it has been happening in the last few weeks, I related it to my mobile phone in my back pocket, however i have really noticed it happening often during the past few days.  I am an active 45 year old with kids, I am happy healthy, I have a good diet, enjoy a few beers over the week and a few more over the weekends, I drink plenty of water and train with a personal trainer 2 times a week.  I have a stressful job but can't understand how much it has increased in the past week.  It does not hurt nor is uncomfortable.  Good to read that I am not alone.  I have had a sore back for the past week or so, I feel this may have contributed to this strange manifestation.  Thanks for posting everyone it is good to know I am not alone.
Ive been having the same hot spot sensations on my right leg for a few months now, related it to my mobile phone but started happening without a phone. Its normal on my front upper thigh but just now i had the same warm sensation on my right ankle. Warm feeling spreading out over my leg, no pain, no outward rash or blemish, no problem, just strange. Im a fit active 35 year old male.
I do suffer terribly with prickley heat over my back, neck and chest. Im a hot person and dont normaly need much more than a t-shirt in most weather.
Prickley heat is terribley painfull and when i feel the onset i have to remove layers of cloths fairly quickly to aleviate the symptoms. It normal comes about if ive been sweating a lot and doing lots of physical activity and i have layers of cloths on. Unfortunatly my job involves lots of heavy lifting and exerting myself, hence why im always working in a t-shirt most of the year.
I have never heard of this and now it's happening to me .......everyone thinks I'm crazY.......till it happened and they could feel the heat .......mine is my right calf.. I am 48 and I do hair so I am on my feet all day ....I smoke but not a drinker or any drugs .......I am I heavy ice tea drinker ....someone at my work told me to have it check by a doctor. She said that the last person who told her about it found out she had cancer.......don't know if there linked or what but I am not taking the chance......thanks everyone for not making me feel crazy .......I am so glad someone else is feeling the same thing as me ........it's happening now as I type ......
I'm glad to have found these posts, too. Mine started about 2 years ago with a hot spot about the size of a quarter on the underside in the middle of my right breast. Now I'm still having them there and have begun having the larger areas of hot spots on the outside of my left thigh. I asked my doctor about it and his response was that maybe some of my clothes were too tight! That is nonsense. I have them even when I'm wearing my nightgown or very loose fitting pajamas, and I don't wear tight fitting clothes anytime. I'm 61 years old, and take meds for hypertension and arthritis. I've had both my knees replaced within the past year. I do take vitamin supplements daily, so may need to cut back on them. I think I'm going to try the Aleve treatment and see if that helps. Thanks to all of you for your posts - at least now I don't think I'm just nuts :)
Hi i posted on here about a month ago about a heat spot that started on my right leg,thought id give you an update!Within 12 hours of the heat spot i had a desensitised leg and this spread up to my buttocks!I decided to go to docs who said i needed to see a neurologist,things got worse i went back to docs 3 days later!I was sent for an emergency appointment with the neurologist within  hours i was admitted to hospital!They found i had popped 2 discs out of my top spine which were pressing on my spinal cord this had caused the probs!If i wasnt operated on i would end up paralised for deffinate,the op could do that too but the risks were less!less than 12 hours later i was operated on!THey have said there is no gaurantee i will get full use of my leg back the main idea of the op was to stop anymore damage!I have also lost full use of my right hand now (its very painful to use it) through nerve damage during the op but this is a small price to pay if i have full use of my legs but we will see!Just wanted to fill you all in so that hopefully i can help someone else!!!
It is definitely NOT hormonal.  I'm a 72-year-old man, and only since the appearance of arthritis throughout my body, I've been experiencing "hot spots" in right hip, both ankles, both shoulders, and most recently the left elbow.

Hope that helps.

C.C. in Prescott, AZ
Read all these comments as I have just started getting hot spot. also suffer with nerve problems and had under the skin blood clots in both legs not DVT.so thinking either poor blood circulation or nerves having a flare up.
I started having hot spots today in my left upper thigh.  I am 54 years old and in fairly good health.  I work at a job that keeps me at a computer all day.  I am fairly active but not lately.  I have had breast cancer but am currently cancer free.  I have recently had some lower back pain that has been getting worse.  I don't smoke and only drink occasionally.  The hot spots are only internal.  I can't feel warmth when I touch my leg with my hand.  The heat  comes and goes every minute or so.  It is not painful.
So if we all have the same symptoms why isn't there a common answer? So weird but I am glad for the posting. I was thinking blood clot, doesn't sound like that's the answer. Calcium answer sounds odd. I have lower back problems and I am also a hairdresser. I stand all day and stay in the same place a lot. I run 3 miles a day, I don't smoke. I drink a tad to much. I eat healthy and I seem to be getting them more frequently. started in my thigh ( always right leg)When it first started out of the blue, it was in my inner thigh, that night I noticed the whole side of my genital area  swollen 10 times the normal size, scared me a lot but the swelling went down after a couple days, I still get the hot spots but swelling hasnt happened since. and now is mostly on the inside of my shin. today, at least every 5 to 10 min. if not every min. ugh. wish we all could find an answer.
I have been experiencing these symptoms for a week now, but it is on my left forearm. Same spot each time. It feels like warm air is on the spot or like a heating pad. At first I thought it was from holding my iPad, but it happens when doing other things. Sometimes it itches, but I think that's just from the increased blood flow. I am 37 yr old female, no kids, fairly active, and have thyroid issues. Anyone else have it on the arms?
The muscles are being pressed upon or are ferry tense when the tension or v pressure is being released heat can be felt.it's not a big deal most of the time.I have been studying this phenomena of the body for yrs in acupressure and Massage therapy.
Hi im Mike

I'am 48 yrs old and I have these hot spots all the time. It first started on my right  chin, my first thought was warm blood running down my leg. I pulled my pant leg up and nothing there, since then it has moved up my leg to the back of my thigh and has also moved up on my jaw line all on the right side. This is all to new just to be blood clots or calcium. There is more to it to be so many having the same symtoms. I have talked to my doc about this he has no idea what to make of it. If this is the case then there is something we all have in common. maybe food related ?????
Thank you for all your comments its great to know that there are many others experiencing these weird hot spots that fade.  I think I like the calcium theory, and the cold one also makes sense.  I have experienced them for four days now.  I had started running again and it makes sense that it has something to do with tense muscles.
Wow.. I am a 36 yr old mother of two and just recently statrted having this burning in my right leg on between my knee and calf. I have been told several things by others... maybe a blood clot, maybe fluid in the leg etc. I know one thing it is very very bothersome. It is so amazing that so many people suffer from the same thing. Praying that we all get relife from this and soon!
I have read all of these and am astonished at how many people have the same symptoms. I am a Naturopath and the same thing happens to me. I have access to live blood work which means I get to see my cells on a computer screen and we can see the abnormalities straight away. I believe it is a B12 deficiency. This can effect your whole neurological system and considering legs are the hardest to get circulation to it makes sense that legs are going to be affected first. If the nerves are affected then the other reason that a few people have identified would also possibly be correct,"the calcium spark". The thing is doctors will generally do blood tests and say you don't have a problem etc. Perhaps you were within their reference range but this does not mean a lot. The doctors are looking for disease and a few (or a lot) are not really considered a disease by any stretch so of course you don't have that but you may have a deficiency in B12. I now need to take 4-5 B12 sublingual tablets a day (they are 1000mcg each) and it helps a lot, as well as my cognition and energy levels. I experienced 2 major stressful events about 4 months ago and this is when my hot spots flared up. Stress is well known to deplete you of B12. B12 needs intrinsic factor in the gut to be absorbed and a lot of people who have poor intrinsic factor/poor B12 have very average digestion (wind, bloating?) if so making up a herb mix to increase stomach acid is very important - like sweedish bitters, taking some of that before every meal will help a lot for many reasons, you will need to take it properly for the rest of your life, same as B12 (if life is cruising a long perhaps it is only 3 tabs a week as opposed to 5 a day!!!) I hope this helps
Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I have a hot spot on my left knee over the knee cap an area that rarely gets warm.  Can have several flares an hour, lasting 1 to 5 min..  skin cool withmo discoloration.  Onset 4 to 5 days ago. Happens in any position. Quite uncomfortable and discomfitting.
65 yo, excellent health, sit for long periods working but bike up a steep hill 3x per week and rump (run w/ jump rope) at least 1 mile.  Leg strength better than Ave.  Have got - under control. Take blood thinner (clot unlikely) - prophylactic unrelated to prior event.  Have also been taking Boswellia as anti-inflam for ribs bruised surfing, bu was taking for weeks before onset - not likely suspect
From your posts, I have resolved to see neuro and try some b12
I am male, 50, in good shape, no drinking smoaking and eat ok, but I did just started to jog again after a year off. For the first time ever, this past week I felt quarter size hot spots on upper left leg and butt in different places for a few seconds every 10 min or so for the past week. They usually come as I am sitting and surprise me so much I still look to see what hot thing I sat on.

They dont hurt or show but I havent done anyting new lately other than attempt to start running again.

Thought I coudnt find anyone else who ever had them. I can believe a vitiman deficiency or running that is messing with my nerves or even a side effect from the back pain I had from spring till end of summer this year. Dont know but it is better to know I'm not alone and it is not likely to be serious.
Mostly what I know is this: If you get to the right weight, exercise and live right not letting the stresses of life consume you... (meaning not let stuff stick to you meaning forgive and get on with life) you can avoid 95% of the PHYSICAL STUFF people go through.   Works for me.
To anyone who has had a warm to hot sensation flare up on their legs I have a question for you.  Have you or anyone in your family been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, if yes you should see a neurologist, if No I would still look up MS symptoms on the web and see if you might have experianced any of the other symptoms, especially if you have just had a child because women's MS symptoms seem to progress and worsen after childbirth.  I don't mean to alarm anyone but one of the reasons It is so hard to diagnose MS is because thier is no two same symptoms for all patients and it starts of with small symptoms such as this.  I hope this helps.  I am a 42 y/o male and my MS symptoms started as blurry vision in one eye that only lasted 2 months, I now know that it is called a flare up.
I too am surprised that there are so many of you who have experienced this. I'm 34 yrs. old and relatively healthy. Started experiencing this my right leg, at one spot on the upper leg, and now a larger spot on my lower leg that is almost the same 4"x4" section that my tattoo occupies, that I had done in 1997. About a year ago I had experienced some acute, spastic, and sharper pains in the thigh area that seemed like a deep, nerve pain of sort. Don't know if these two symptons are related? Good luck all with whatever it may be for us all.
What is it??  Random heat spots on left foot, right heel, right hand, left hand, lasting no more than a minute or so an coming back every so often..sometimes many times a day and sometimes none at all... What is it??
Right leg ... started on outside of my calf and now experiencing it in inner thigh and  back of thigh.  Feels like hot water on you in this area.  Few times per hour.  So weird.  Also have numb left pinkie and ring fingers that started about 2 months ago.  EEG found pinched nerve in wrist.  Probably unrelated?
I am so glad to read that others are having the same symptoms I'm having.  Mine started a little over a week ago.  Just random hot pots or wrm spots on my legs...mostly my calves.  They move around and seem to happen randomly.  I can't distinguish a pattern or tie the hot spots to anything I'm doing.  I don't see any red spots or anything else on the surface of my legs, but it gets really warm and then just goes away.  I have not been to a doctor, but have considered going because I can't find any pattern to it.  
i think it from laying on one side to much watching tv . try laying on the other side. your blood needs to floe your probably over weight. try losing a few pounds.
I also get this caused by sciatica due to a herniated disc. If you have any spine or back problems you might want to check that out. Pregnancy can cause this short term since your spine realigned to accommodate your child.
36 F, very active, no smoking...hot spots with no pain, feels like warm water poured over the area. left eyebrow is hot right now as I'm typing. used to just be on back of left thigh but now happens in face and ear. No pain, just warm patches/streaks that come and go.
I am an LMT as well and the hot spots are happening not only in my left thigh, but my left eyebrow (which yes, could be corrugator supercillii) but it's also happening in my entire left ear (which has no muscle tissue)...left eyelid and left cheek as well...so wondering if the pressed muscle theory applies
66 year old male.... good shape .....symptoms started about a month ago .... palm sized area - left inside upper thigh .... no pain ..... feels like warm water ... blooms and then goes away .... no redness or rash .... I have my spine adjusted regularly due to DDD both upper and lower spine .... will ask about it tomorrow when I go for my adjustment .... most frequent medical challenge is uric acid kidney stones every couple of years... anyone figure this out yet?
I really thought I was going to burn up from the inside out... I have been getting these hotspots in the back of my thighs for about two months. They are random but so warm that it scares me.  I do have back problems, so I think it might be related to pinched nerves or something. Just never felt so confused about what it could be. I will be going to have it checked out, so will post my doc's findings.
Thanks for all the info--I thought the doctor would think I was crazy and this hot sensation in the outer side of my right leg would just go away.  I have been experiencing this for about 5 days now--heat from the inside out.  Crazy feeling.  I am 56 and in good health.  I will try cutting back on my calcium.
I was disappointed to find the thread so old (2008) and happy to see yours.  Not happy you have it, but pleased to have found I'm not alone.  My hot spot started last week and happens every day for a while - so warm that it feels as though it's wet with hot water.  No pain, always left back/side thigh.  I have back problems and scaitica in that leg so thought it was that but was horribly worried it was a DVT. I do eat a LOT of almonds, but not that many.  As a ethical vegan who doesn't eat a lot of soy, I would think my calcium intake is low (perhaps 500 mg on a good day?)
I'm a 24 year-old black African-British male, and all last weekend I was having these same warm patches under my left thigh (just before my thigh joins my butt), while I was up in the north of England visiting my friends. I drive nearly every day (left foot accelerator and automatic - not a related condition but I use my left leg for the gas and the brake) but that weekend I took the train so had a weekend off from driving.
They stopped once I got back to London but half a week later, I broke out in serious shivers, fatigue (though I'm really bad with getting proper sleep), a fever, and possibly a code sore on my lip. :-(
Don't know if it's related but anyone have any clue?
Interesting. 37/F. Have had this occasionally for 15 yrs. My girlfriend gets it to. We used to joke that it was from partying too much b/c we'd notice it more then (possibly dehydration/vit. def.), but I still get it. After many yrs of no parties. It moves around my legs. In my left shin right now. I've had 3 pregnancies, but 1 baby (possibly hormonal). I'm also prone to RLS and kidney stones. ??????    Sorry I'm not alone!
Im 17 and just have a 2 month old daughter, I to have been getting hot spots on my left upper thigh. Although there arent any visible discoloration and it does not hurt I was concerned. I have asked my doctor and she said its just an increase in my calcium intake along with restless muscles.
I am 36 years old with 2 kids started having those exact symptoms a spot or rather a small area like a patch would get super hot feels like there is poison or boiling water has been injected in my blood and traveling along the veins first on one foot random spots then started to be on the thigh then everywhere even my hip , my head my arm ..now it is occurring numerous times a day even in one hour I am becoming alarmed but don't know where to start looking..so weird and my husband is a doctor but he has no clue or has never heard of that complain....I went on google to find hundreds or may be even thousands that experience exact feelings but what is the explanation.....has anyone got some sort of a diagnosis? What about the people from 2008 ? Are u guys still experience that ? Is there Any common findings not anyone of u guys? Please help.....
Hello - just wanted to give an answer for this exact internal heat feeling in one spot. My heat sensation was always on my left lower outer shin/ankle area. It was really worrisome and caused a big case of anxiety! Of course I looked online and made myself sick with worry of a neurological disease! So we to see doctor 2 days ago and was reassured it's Not a blood clot. But was told I must have injured a nerve in that area and if it didn't go away to come back but was really viewed as no biggie - but it was for me! So then decided to see a chiropractor today and during the consult it was determined that I in fact had my L5 out of alignment and my tailbone was misaligned! After a discussion I had symptoms I didn't even know added up to the same problem! Look up tailbone misalignment -it was amazing how much a misalignment can affect your whole body - especially your brain since it's compromising the flow of spinal fluid. So , getting back to the heat...it you look up L5 nerve path it ends in the Exact spot I was having the heat feeling so definitely heat caused by nerve inflammation.  Again , I feel amazing after getting aligned back and was pleasantly surprised that my heat sensation has (knock on wood) completely stopped only a few hours after I left the office. *Note, my tailbone misalignment was most likely caused by giving birth 18 months prior and my body most likely overcompensate by putting pressure on my spine or my work environment  ( sitting at a computer ) attributed to my L5 issue. Hope this helps someone out there -I'm stress free now and I'm not googling anymore  lol
My mom said the same thing.  She believes it's His healing power.