Allergy Community
Heat Spots on legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Heat Spots on legs

I am 37 years old, my youngest Child is 3 months. For 3 days now I have been getting seemingly random 'hot spots'  on my legs, they start as a small heat ***** feeling and 'bloom'  out into a larger area of warmth. This is not painfull and there are no visible effects on my skin.  I do spend a lot of time on the floor with the children , could this be some sort of allergy to the carpet? The carpet is not new and there is no external irritation to the skin. Or should I see a doctor about it? ( note: I do have a history of cancer personally and in my family, but have been cancer free for 20 years).
I'm wondering if you've received a response. I'm 41, son is 5 months. I am also experiencing this and the description matches yours to a "T" (only I'm experiencing them on the same spot in my left leg). I've searched and searched and haven't found anything that might explain what it is....
I have your symptoms exactly, and i have a five month old.  Any luck on finding info?  I am stumped.  Must be hormonal????
Well, I have the same symptoms, left leg and everything.. but I'm a college student without kids.
Tell me your exact sensations......
ive been getting random heat sensations in my left shin. just like a spot will feel hot for a couple of seconds and then disappear.  same symptoms. i wonder what it is as well.
i'm 21 and i don't have any kids.
OMG, I just googled heat spots to find out what was going on with my leg. For about 2 weeks, several times a day, I feel heat starting to form on the outer side of my right leg.  But I have no rash and my skin does not feel hot to the touch.  Please someone help us figure out what is going on.
Hi, I'm in my 60's and I also get hot spots in my legs, mostly my thigh muscles. A friend who does sports medicine told me it was caused by calcium input to the muscles and is a normal body reaction to active muscles. It just sometimes happens when your muscles don't need an input of calcium. He didn't tell me if there was any way to relieve the sensation or if it was problematical. But at least I have an idea why it happens.
Loney.
I am experiencing hot spots several times a day.  An area the size of the palm of my hand or smaller, suddenly feels hot, then it slowly cools. There is no change in color or appearance. Others can locate the spot by the heat. The hot spot is always on the front of my left leg. The last few days it has been just to the left of the shin.

I am 68, active, healthy, Hot spots come while I am sitting in a car, while walking briskly, while lying in bed and so on.

Loney, thanks for your input. I hope this is that simple. At nearly 69 years old, little things may announce something lurking for me.  

Margaret in Texas
I just started getting this heat sensation/spot on the back of my right thigh....to be honest  the first time i had to check to make sure i did not pee myself for that was how hot it feels....it comes randomly through out the day and really doesn't fully go away....what is causing this?  does anyone know?
i am 29 and really not all that active....
I am 22 years old and I am currently pregnant. I have had these hot spots since I was 10. I never really cared to look into it becuase I felt that it caused me no harm. I just reciently decided that I need to check into it, to make sure that it will not affect my unborn son. I have gone to two different doctors and both ran many tests. I have had heart monitors strapped to me, blood drawn, and blood circulation checked (just to name a few things). Each doctor has come up with nothing. But both gave me a simular answer. Even though nothing is coming up in there basic exams, they think that it is poor blood circuation. It causes my legs to slowly fade in color and bright red hot spots appear. They say that the blood is building in spots under the skin causing it to suddenly get hot. So even though I have no real answers yet and just guesses from primary doctors, it nice to know that everything came back ok. They are sending me to a blood circulation specialist as well as a heart specialist. They want to make sure that I dont have blood colts and that they aren't flowing into my heart.
If you have pale/blue legs with hot/red spots then I would go and have it checked out just to be safe.
Good Luck
just curious do you happen to take any diet pills?  I am a male who reciently started taking fat burning pills.  Everyday I take the pills I get a hot patch much as you all explained.  I too thought I peed myself. weird!  I am kind of thinking its from something in these pills.  Maybe there is a relationship between the pills and that calcium one of you were talking about.  Well I just thought I,d throw it out there.
Good luck!
ts
how stange that this is a "new thing". i've been searching too. no pills, 3 kids, no drugs, and all of a sudden i feel a patch. almost like i sat in warm water. had my daughter on my lap and almost threw her off thinking she peed on me. on the back of my right thigh. no skin changes and not every day. just enough for me to check into. can't find anything and neither can my doctor. good to know i'm "normal".
I am a 37 year old male, two boys.  I am 6' tall and weigh 210 lbs.  Don't smoke, I do have an occassional drink.  I am experiencing sudden warm spots on my leg, right hand side of my shin area on my right leg.  I will be sitting at my desk at work and it feels like a warm spot, suddenly out of no where.  No pain and it doesn't last long.  Always in the same spot.  Started just a few days ago.  I haven't been to a doctor, don't know if I should go.  Hoping someone will have some more information.  Thanks.
I get hot spots in my legs and some times it feels like my legs are on fire.

I'm 43yo male, I drink way too much coffee, sugar, and milk. I have a poor diet, and I smoke 2 packs a day. My tap water is poor. I lead a sedentary life with not much physical activity.

I have to improve my diet, filter my water, cut back on coffee, sugar and milk, drink lots of clean water and orange juice, take walks and exercise.
hi
I'm 46 male in good shape. Just started getting random hot spot left leg below calf muscle. Can't say it feels hot to touch - no other symptoms. I am wondering if it may be thyroid related - I am hypothyroid
????
I have been experiencing the same type of symptoms for a couple of monthes.  Has anyone been able to find any answers to what could be causing the sudden onset of these heat spots.
Thanks for any and all help
The only thing I came up with in search swollen legs is a possibility for blood clots and to see a doctor.  I recently started using the treadmill and wondered in maybe I was "opening" my veins rather than having problems with a clot.   Not a clue....has been going on a few weeks.  54 femaile, work on the computer too much...need to exercise more...probably drink too much but otherwise don't smoke and have a decent diet.   Previously diagnosed with irregular heart beat and have family history of hypertension.   My cholesterol is higher than it should be....weight is ok.
This is so interesting. I've never heard of such a thing, and my friend just started this symptom today and asked me to check into it for him. Every one of you seems to have EXACTLY the same thing he is describing. It is his LEFT LEG, which seems to be most common here (which makes me think it could be heart related, since there is a major artery in your left leg, isn't there?). He said it feels like he peed on his leg, it is so hot. He showed me his leg and there is no change to the appearance. He is 30, in relatively good shape, works way too much, doesn't sleep enough, smokes *at least* a pack a day (probably closer to 2), drinks coffee, takes an anti-depressant, quit drinking cold turkey about 53 days ago. He sits in his car for at least 2 hours a day, but is on his feet for most of the rest of the day. I have no idea if he regularly takes any vitamins. I think he tries to. I'm going to keep looking into this, but wanted to add his stats to your list. This is fascinating.
His family has a history of diabetes, but he still didn't the last time he was tested for it. No idea if the diabetes is hereditary or caused by his parents' morbid obesity and sedentary lifestyle. My friend is neither overweight nor sedentary, but I thought I should at least also mention the family history, for the sake of the list we have going here.
Carpeting can be a major source of allergies, both new carpet that emits chemical odors and old carpet that harbors allergens.
Concerning new carpet; the carpet, padding and adhesives emit volatile organic compounds and some people report symptoms such as upper respiratory irritations, headaches, skin rashes, shortness of breath or cough, any fatigue, when new carpeting is installed.
As far as old carpeting goes, everything that touches your pet's feet or the bottom of your shoes is tracked in and deposited in your carpet.  Additionally, fleas and insects can breed there, along with dust mites that feed on animal dander or any other dead skin that finds its way into your carpeting.
You could try OTC anti-histamines to alleviate symptoms.
Also open the windows and doors and use fans to increase the amount of fresh air exchanged in the room.

I'm 21 and have had hot spots on my left calf (maybe golf ball size), definitely warm ot the touch, but absolutely no other symptoms.  I've been sitting on the floor and bending alot lately while I've been cleaning my room, but don't think it is the carpet.  I think it has to do something with nerves or blood flow.  I take daily vitamins, eat well, and exercise.
This seems really weird that this is such a new thing for several people.  I too have been experiencing warm spots on my left leg.  I can't recall having any on my right.  I have been painting alot and I have  back flair ups at this time and haven't been to a chiropractor yet. I do have numbness in my feet from possible neouropothy.  Late life adult onset diabetes does run in my family.  I do not have it at this time, but I did have gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with both of my children.  I have been on a gluten free diet for the last four months.  I take vitamins that my naturopath have given me for cleansing.  I just resently added a "b" complex in the last few weeks. I don't exercise and I have been a hairdresser for 13 years.  I sure hope we get an answer to this!
This is amazing...just the last few days...I have been having a hot spot come on my upper front right thigh...it has moved to the left a little..it started closer to the knee part on the right...I can feel the heat through my pants..it started 3 days ago..and it has been coming very regularly this afternoon..like 1 or 2 minutes apart....I asked my daughter tonight..she asked me if it was red..and I said no...she thought of blood clot...I have recently started taking blood pressure med...4 weeks now...thought I would check on here and find this site...wow..if I find out anything I will let you know..
I was play fighting with my husband and child and my second and third toe had quite a bit of pressure put on them. Since that time l have been experiencing hot spots on lhs of my body (same side as my poor toes) This hot spot can vary from my shin to my face. I think it has something to do with my foot as this can get quite sore. I am guessing that playing with the family and the pressure put on my toe has hit a nerve, and keeps flaring up every now and then.
I have got back into traning in the last couple of weeks and am noticing when l run, my foot and "hot spots" start to flare up. Planning on seeing a physio, (when l can fit it in)  
I thought I was crazys when I started to experience the same exact experience.  I get a hot spot out of nowhere in my right shin.  It comes out of no where and then disappears.  There is no change to the color of my leg and it isn't painful.  I've been experiencing this for about a week.  Have you found any answers?
moncar
Same weird phenomenon for me.  Mostly I have noticed the heat spots in my left calf.  I take normal dose vitamins, walk almost daily for exercise and am not overweight.  Some similarities I have with others are a family history of hypertension, though I don't have yet, and I take levothyroid for hypothyroidism.  I also have an irregular heartbeat from PVCs which I went to a Cardiologist for and he said were normal.   This sensation is brand new over the past couple of weeks.  I do notice when I sit at the computer with my legs under the desk for long periods that my calves feel full, so I'm thinking it is a circulation problem.
I have had all the same fellings as much of you on here. The heat spot is on my left leg and on the out side of my upper leg. It gets real hot on the inside and its not painful in any way. No red spots and i cant feel it on the outside of my leg. I was hoping to find some answers today but it looks like there is no answer. I have had alot of problems with my left leg do to standing on it. I have had to go to the er because my leg gave out. Im 25 with 2 kids and the doctor said i strained it. Im thinking these hot spots are do to blood flow and exercise. If any one finds any answers please let us know.

thank you misty
Day before yesterday I had a therapeutic massage and an adjustment by my new chiropractor.  Yesterday I began having hot spots on my thigh on my left leg.  I never experienced the hot spots before, so I assumed it had something to do with the massage and adjustment.  I saw the chiropractor again today and he explained that the combination of the very rigorous massage, along with the adjustment, had triggered this reaction in a nerve or group of nerves, and the hot sensation was the reaction of the nerve to the treatments.  He said it was not a problem and would probably disappear in time.
I am a 31y old female with a 9 yr old. And I to have been experiencing these hot spots on my left leg.  It first felt as though someone had placed a torch to my leg for a moment, and then poof it was gone.  I do stand and sit most of the day I am a hairdresser/manicurist, so I have experienced this both sitting and standing.  My friends now have me very concerned.    
Wow... I thought I was the only one!  I'm a 31 year old, female.  Relatively healthy but not as active as I should be... about a month ago I started feeling these hot spots you're all describing.  On my lower right leg, just below the knee on the inside.  I thought either I peed on myself or a dog did it was that warm.  It lasts for a minute or so and then goes away.  Not hot to the touch either.  I have relatively tight muscles in my hips/thighs which I'm gettting massages to treat.  Hopefully that will help, maybe I'm pinching a nerve down there or something that's mixing up signals.
To: All

I went to the cardiologist yesterday, and he said I was OK. I have type 2 diabetes, and a mitral valve prolapse. I am 62, and it wasn't until recently i've been getting a hot spot on my LEFT shin, no redness . I woke up this morning with a hot spot from my left shin to my left ankle. I have it now while I'm on the computer. I do walk a lot. I thought it might be due to circulation. I just don't know....
Too funny...couldn't believe there are so many others experiencing the same thing.  I have a 6 month old baby, and just started having the hot spots 2 days ago.  They come about every 3 minutes during the day and are in my left leg, back of my thigh.  Get them when walking, sitting, standing, etc...doesn't seem to be triggered by motion.  Not hot to the touch, but as others have said - feels like i have peed myself.  I do a lot of sitting at the computer lately for work, and also have had quite a bit of stress/anxiety lately.  Talked to a friend MD and she thought had to do with possibly some nerves in my back...maybe pinched or distressed b/c of the anxiety...others have said possibly poor circulation or blood clots...now I am so very curious to find out what it is.  I also thought possibly hormonal - with the recent baby and no longer nursing.  I am making an appointment with my doctor next week ---i'll keep ya posted.
I am a 29 year old female. I don't drink, smoke or have any children.  I'm not overweight and I am moderately active.  I have been experiencing a sensation of heat in my right inner thigh for about a month now.  I went to doctor because I have a history of heart conditions (Ventricular Tachycardia and Mitral Valve Prolapse) and my doctor had an ultrasound ordered for my leg to check for blood clots.  The ultrasound showed NOTHING!  My doctor has no explanation for this feeling.  Like everyone else, the feeling comes on suddenly and then goes away quickly.  It's not a burning feeling, it really does feel like I pee'd myself!  LOL!  
Just like all the others.  Looking for the reason.  Left leg, warm spots, started about 2 weeks ago.  I am a 31 Male, good shape, 2 kids, but like everyone, lots of stress; but we handle it well :)
I have been having a hot spot on my right thigh (on the outside of it). It comes and goes anywhere from 2 times a day to every 2-3 min. It has no heat to the touch and no sign of discoloration. I am going to ask my doctor about it on Monday. This is crazy so many people are having the same symptoms.
Hope someone gets a straight answer.
I'm a 44 year old female with the same problem.  It's on my outer right shin that it keeps occuring.  I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, but have never had a problem with circulation.  I have recently started having problems with both my knees.  I'm not sure if it's arthritis, or if my cartiledge is deteriorating, because when I go up or down stairs, it's very painful.  I thought maybe this "hot spot" might have had something to do with that.  I am going to have it checked out soon though.  I would be interested to hear what other doctors say about this as well.  God bless you all.
I thought I'd be laughed at by the net for searching 'hot spots on leg' but obviously not!  Isn't it strange - I wonder what causes it.  For about a month now I've had a hot spot on the same place, upper thigh on left leg, nowhere else.  I can't decide if it's hot to touch or not and haven't managed to get my partner to feel it yet as it can go away again so quickly.  I thought I'd spilled my tea on my leg the first time it happened it was suddenly so warm.  It doesn't hurt, is just very warm.  I have two boys, 2&1/2 and 10 months.  I had quite a difficult labour with my youngest.  Otherwise, could certainly take more exercise, drink lots of tea, a few glasses of wine a week, smoke only about 5 a day, diet's pretty good, could do with losing some weight.  No family history of diabetes, my dad's had mitral valve heart surgery recently but no history of other heart problems.  Various cancers within family history.  
It's very strange because I'm curious to know what it is but unless it gets worse or starts hurting etc I don't see the point in seeing a doctor as yet.  I can see many of you have and have not really had any answers so we'll see!  Maybe I'll mention it next time I visit for something else!  
I'm just pleased I'm not going mad!
Oh, and I'm 32!!  and the hotspot comes on usually around 3 times an hour or so.  Sometimes less.
xxx
Another thing I forgot tho is that since being pregnant the second time - I have what I'm sure is sciatic problems where sometimes I get incredibly sharp shooting pains through my buttocks and down my legs depending on which side is affected at the time.  If I'm walking it can make me feel like I'll fall over because my legs almost buckle.  I'm just getting on with it because it's terrible pain for a few minutes at a time but not necessarily every day. Just thought this may be connected in some way - maybe nerve endings etc.
xxx
How odd. My hot blooms/spots on my upper left outer thigh began yesterday and have had me in a tizzy. I feel them quite frequently although I haven't figured out how often they are coming. I am 45 and was wondering whether I was going through a bizarre menopause with hot flashes in one spot. It is very disconcerting and I think I will have to go to the doctor for this. I really don't like this sensation.....as though someone were holding a blow drier up to my leg for a few seconds several times a day. I have been sitting at my computer more hours over the last two weeks, and exercising less since last January. But otherwise I am in good health, don't smoke, eat well...but drink too much coffee. If I have any news from the doctor I shall report back.
i am 68 yrs and female.  several years ago, i mentioned this warm
spots to my doctor who did not think it was anything to be concerned about and they eventually disappeared. But, just the past couple of days, the warm spot on upper right thigh has reappeared.  wondering, what it means and will be checking it with a regularly scheduled appt.
in a few weeks.  I try to walk about 4 miles at least five times weekly.
eat healthy, take vitamins and who knows what the heck it could be?
just decided to check to see if anyone else experienced these warm
sensations and i am truly amazed at how many of you are.
Hi everyone.  

I have much of the same symptoms as were mentioned here, plus I have a host of other neurological symptoms.  My doctor thought that I had MS, and sent me to a Neurologist.  He ran a bunch of tests and it came back that I have a profound B12 Deficiency with the Intrinsic Factor.  I now have shots weekly for B12, but it sure beats MS!!  Anyway, try searching for B12 Deficiency symptoms, and read about it.  Ask your doctor for a blood test.  It is an easy test and an easy fix.  Good Luck.
Thank you all for  your comments like most of you I thought I was the only one with this strange sensation. I am a 41 year old female and I moved to  another country about 8 months ago.  I just noticed this I think in the past month or two.  I've been having alot of joint pain in my shoulder and my knee is really stiff and I was wondering if it was attributed to a nasty fall down the stairs about 5 months ago. I've been stressed out a bit and depressed over the past couple months also so maybe it is nerve related?? or a vitamin deficiency.  Guess I'll go to the doctor now that I know I'm not imagining the hot sensation on the outside of the left calf and now I think I have a new spot next to it on the back side.  It is not hot  to the touch and has no redness either.
If I take an over the counter anti inflamatory it usually takes care of it within a day or two. I think (at least in my case) it's a pinched nerve.
I am 44 years old and have a hot spot on my outer calf -toward my ankle on my right leg.  

what is this-  has anybody found out
I am a 26 year old male and I'm getting the same palm-sized hot spots on the outer left side of my shin area.  I thought maybe there was a heater under the computer desk I was sitting at.  I'm getting them between one and five times every 20 minutes.

The hot spots just started today.  To me, it makes sense that it is either nerve-related or circulation-related.  I don't have the best circulation and sometimes my toes on my right foot go numb while driving even if for 20 minutes.

I am overweight, and my diet could be better.  I exercise sometimes, but definitely have not experienced anything like this before.  I'm not sure if I should see a doctor, or if I should just take a multi-vitamin and exercise more regularly...
OMG!  THis happened to me this morning and then again about an hour ago. It was THE strangest sensation! Back of my right thigh, I thought I peed myself! But not warm to the touch, deeper, in the muscle below the skin surface. About the area of a silver dollar.  It lasted for only 5-6 seconds.  Almost radiated, like an infection. Except that I resonate with the same conditions as others are stating.

A lot of the other post have similiar things going on. I am healing from adrenal fatigue (hormone imbalance) and with that came severe cramps in that same leg.  As part of Adrenal hormone imbalance, I have been taking alot of extra vitaimins and minerals.  Adrenals are closely connected with nervous system.  Cramps were from sciatic nerve, I think, orginally, but the cramps were so severe and lasted for about 6 weeks.  I thought it was all better. I take extra extra magnesium and calcium for both adrenal and the cramps and it helped.

I like what LONEY said above: "A friend who does sports medicine told me it was caused by calcium input to the muscles and is a normal body reaction to active muscles. It just sometimes happens when your muscles don't need an input of calcium"  That would fit cause I intuitively thought I may be taking too much calcium and cut back this morning!!  Maybe too much magnesium too.

SO alot of others posting are saying after pregnancy they are having this or are at the age that it could be a drop in hormones (menopause),  which would be a hormone thing. Several are hairstylist or sit at the computer. I do/am both of those.

I just hope its a "healing" and balancing affect not another "issue" com ing cause I thoguht I was all better!

45 yrs, 2 kids
I just found this!  on a bicycle forum.

"If what you're experiencing is what I think it is....

These hot spots (in PT we call them trigger points) are areas with a high concentration of nerve endings, particularly those that help to regulate overall muscle tone, (muscle spindles). When there is an irritant in the muscle, eg all the lovely things that cells release related to activity, especially increased activity, a neurological feedback loop gets kicked into play and you end up with trigger points. They are a reflection of irritation in the muscle.

Foam roller techniques work well.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZIl0QxOgKc

So does The Stick

www.thestick.com

and trigger point release therapy

http://www.polardiscount.com/scripts...FQkegwodpAaoeA

The under lying cause is often a muscle imbalance or biomechanical issue that can be diagnosed by the appropriate healthcare professional."

Google:  Muscle Hot spots and calcium sparks
Ah...glad to hear I am not alone in this phenomenon.  I'm a 60 yo male, in generally good shape...gym 3/wk, competitive athletics in spring&summer, no smoking, no hard liquor, not even beer, just a glass of red wine 3-4 times a week, no coffee, just black tea (caf & decaf), a cola drink 1-2 times a week, red meat 1/wk.  I do have 2 heart stents - freak occurence said the MD - and recently had both knees "scoped" for the 2nd time in 10 years.

I've had a similar experience over the past few weeks.  Out of the blue, I felt a "hot spot" on the front side of my upper left thigh.  It lasts for 15-30 seconds, then disappears as mysteriously as it starts...usually when sitting but once in a while standing.   At first it happened once every 2-3 days; today, it's been a recurring theme.  I never have any outward symptoms - no swelling, no redness, no musle aches or pains, no tingling.  Both my MD and Orthop. suggested it was a case of crossed nerves sending the wrong messages to the area and it would eventually disappear.  I'm still concerned.  The only medical opinion I've seen in this forum was from the crackpot doc who told us to lay off the web for answers.  Has anyone obtained any MD opinions to be shared?
I'm 27 and for the last week I've been getting these random flashes of heat on my back upper thigh. It's happening several times an hour and has me kinds worried.
Right leg I should say
I am 19, no kids, and work everyday if not in school. So i'm not especially active but move around alot during the day. I recently started to lose a few pounds from a healthier lifestyle out of college and started to get a warm spot on my left butt cheek... strange. It happens at the most unusual times too! Sitting, standing, walking, etc.
I want to know what it is!
how crazy is this ,i am 39 fit n healthy and also get hot spots often on my 3 toes little one and next two,on left side.any answers yet as y
john
I have some kind of spots on my leg and is it chi , also looks like a mosquito bite. sometime I think it could be my dogs or the weather or the air condition when is very cold. don't know what can be, all i know it bother a lot, and I can afford to go to the doctor.
I am a 17 year old white female and I first got heat blotches/spots in 5th or 6th grade. If your case is similar to mine, I don't think you should worry.

Mine tend to appear in the same spot on my shins, but over the years more of the redness has spread higher up my legs.

The heat areas don't hurt, no bumps, warm to the touch, about the size of a poker chip, and the surrounding skin does NOT turn blue  or pale. I've been an active person my entire life, I go to the gym 3 times a week and play tennis, so they usually appear while I'm hot/overheated.

When they aren't red, the areas where the spots show up look slightly darker than the rest of my skin. If I press on them with my fingers for a moment, they flush to the normal color but eventually fade back to being dark again.

I didn't care about it until I became a teenager and other kids started pointing it out, so when I was 15 during one of my routine check ups I asked my doctor about the heat rashes and he said it could be from a high number of blood vessels under my skin. He said I shouldn't be concerned, but recommended a dermatologist just in case.

The dermatologist said the same thing; it didn't seem dangerous and was probably caused from a high number of blood vessels. She said I would have to live with it though, because there's nothing they can do. So if your experience is like mine, you can relax.
I am amazed to find so many others experiencing the exact thing.  Like others, I didn't expect to find this when I looked on the internet.
For me it is my right shin and there is no redness or pain.   I am 38, have 2 kids, poor circulation, varicose veins on that leg, am fairly active, take vitamins and have chronic low iron.  My hormones have been giving me grief the past two years but I have been able to manage things with a changed diet and vitamins.

The past few days (since the heat in my shin started), my upper left neck/shoulder has been hurting from sleeping the wrong way when camping.  Also, a week ago I participated in the Relay for Life and walked about 10 hours/20km...a much longer walk than normal and my shins were sore after.

thanks for sharing your stories...maybe we will find a common thread. I already have some ideas for myself.

ow my dayz . i'm 13
i want to wear shorts tomorrow  but i can't cas i have got random spots on my legs i used some veet hair removel (removal) cream but i used it on my lower legs and the spots are on the top of my thyes and one or two near my knees. They don't feel hot or ichy or painful so i don't know what they are and i've been onto the embarassing bodies website and they haven't told me anything. Doesn't anyone know what they are?
I just started experiencing this hot spot on my right leg right underneath my calf. I thought it was due to my body responding the the extreme heat wave this summer but now that the weather has cooled down, it still happens.

My leg starts to feel hot, but to the touch it's cool. I read somewhere on this forum that a person with similar problems started taking vitamin B. I started taking VITAMIN B COMPLEX, 100mg a day to combat stress plus around 700mg of magnesium a day to help with my hypoglycemia. As well as a whole list of vitamins, V.D, V.E, V.C, Zinc.

I'm a very healthy 27 year old Asian. Exercises lots, a lot of muscle for a woman, doesn't smoke, drink, drink caffeine except for green tea, doesn't eat red meat, eats at least a pound of fresh veggies a day and drinks tons of water. I don't eat prepackaged foods to avoid all the chemicals. I'm essentially a health nut.

The only problem I have I guess is insomnia and I take methionine occasionally. Diabetes runs in my dad's family and I think I may have a tiny bit of a higher blood pressure due to my neurotic behavior.

I wonder if the vitamins are to blame. It only started when I started taking the vitamins.
I'm very shocked to see how many people this actucally affects.....
I am 26 yrs old...no children....I experience very hot sensations in my RIGHT leg only...usually my lower leg, or foot. They only last for about 10 seconds and come randomly , sometimes a few times a day, sometimes not for a few days.. But I only notice them when I am laying down, or sitting down.
I thought maybe it had to do with my hip, as i do suffer from hip pain in my right hip  from an accident years ago. with that, I have a bad neck sometimes and frequently crack my own neck for relief.

I started noticing mine just after my (very close) dog died. That was months ago and it still affects me quite a bit....probably more than most people think an animal passing should but....anyway...

I am bipolar, and take 3 different meds a day. so I really had no idea what could be the cause... it's been interesting to read everyone else's experience.
If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them...Yes I am going to make an appointment with my dr, but in the meantime I was just curious.
I have had these "warm spots" also. I have a brain annerisum that was fixed and experienced these warm spots after my surgery. The surgery is done  through my femoral artery, so I was worried it had something to do with my vascular system (circulation). My mom, a nurse, felt it may be a clot in my artery that is slowing the blood flow and then  losens allowing the blood to flow through, thus becomming "warm" . I saw the Vasular surgeon had an ultrasound of my legs and heart moniters and he felt this was a nerve issue. I am seeing a neuro this week and will post here.
My warm spots started in my leg but have moved over time to my back, eye etc..There is no rhyme or reason to the spots.
Have any of you been doing a little more activity than you were used to?  doing some type of squats or walking a bit more than normal?  I had my baby 2 months ago and just returned back to work a couple of weeks ago.  I am constantly walking and squating.  My legs feel weak and tender.  I will occasionally get heat on the front of both my legs, in the thighs.  Feels like fire.  I have also gotten a hot spot out of no where on my right arm right above the elbow.  It was hot to the touch, but dissapated in a matter of seconds.  Other symptoms I have been feeling is lightheadedness (Like blood is flowing down from my head, but none is returning), dizziness, off balanced, a pain in the left of my lower abdomen and headaches.  I had a c-section with my son and breastfeed.  I do not know if it has anything to do with spending 7 weeks healing and then jumping back into work.  
Allergy to carpet "polyester or other synthetics within" Can cause the skin to become warm or hot. I get that but it is also red at that time.
About two weeks ago, I began experiencing this warm spot on the inside of my lower left leg. It's an area about the size of my palm and like many others, I thought I'd peed on myself. It gets warm on the inside (it's not warm to the touch) and lasts for a few seconds before cooling back to normal. It's very sporadic, occuring several times in an hour or sometimes not once for several hours. There is no visible mark on my leg at any point while this is occuring and no warning as to when it will happen.

I am a 25 year old female college student. I eat fairly well, and exercise occasionally. Otherwise, I'm very healthy with no known issues. I've become under tremedous stress in the last few weeks preparing for a new family member, the end of the school semester (FINALS!), and issues at my job. I was also very surprised to find the number of people with similar experiences and plan to talk with a doctor as soon as my semester is through. Thank you all for sharing your insight and suggestions.
I also have a hot spot on the front of my right thigh. Does anyone really know what causes it?  I have arteriosclerosis so it may be poor circulation.
Yikes...they're back.  After not having a hot spot in over a year, I have experienced a vengful return of these little buggers.  Left thigh, silver dollar size, lasting from 15 sec to 1 min., random occurences, sometimes many times in an hour, sometimes once in a while.  Could this be stress-related?  Stay tuned!
Im 33 years old I have two kids 14 and 8 ,I also have these hot spots. Always the same place, my upper thigh right leg on the out side. Weird. I wonder what its caused by. Im not to acive, I do drink coffee and soda all the time. I don't smoke and I drink on holidays. Also Im 5'8" 155 lbs.
Hate to sound like everyone else but i'm 24, no kids, don't smoke, barely drink, no drugs, decent weight and for just the last couple of weeks my LEFT front shin gets hot and then goes away quickly. I am a Nanny and also thought that the 3 year old pee'd on me. It almost feels like something warm just brushes against my shin. It happens a handful of times a day and this is the first place i've seen any info on it and i've been researching it for a week now!
so the whole nerve confusion sounds about  right we can have damaged nerves and not know it. most of us have had something that can trigger damage to nerves anything from being active to the lack thereof
Let me start by saying that I am having the same symptoms, they started about a month ago... soon after I began these certain experiments. I do research concerning the cold and have been subjecting myself to colder climates and 40 degree water submersion. It seems to have done a number on my body and soon after, these heat spots in my lower left calf appeared. Does anyone (when they started getting the heat spots) recall being in the cold more than usual or have any events that they remember "accepting" the cold?
My symptoms started about a month ago as well.  Left inner calf, near the knee.  I exercise approximately twice a week and have a fairly good diet.  I'm 29 with no children.  I have noticed that I have been having trouble getting warm recently.  I tend to be cold more than warm these days.  So, maybe it is circulation? I plan to bring it up to my doctor when I see her this week.
I too am having these 'hot spots' on the outside of my left calf. I asked a nurse that I work with and she had no idea. I also asked a PA and she had no idea except to say probably a nerve reacting to something. It gets warm enough that it causes me to stop what I am doing and look but not really painful just irritating.
I am experiencing a hot pot on my right shin. And from what I've read you all have what I have in one shape or form. Can't anyone help us?

I am also experiencing the hot spots on my shin..very strange, just came 3 days ago. the minute I work up I can feel it, it's like hot bath constantly on my shin. I consulted a GP, she says she's not sure what's wrong, as my shin does not feel hot, normal looking, and she says to observe..
anyone would know what's the reason ?  thanks
I too as alot of you have been having a hot spot on my left leg just left of my shin. Not at all painful just annoying and concerning. It just started a few days ago and happens several times a day! Very strange!
I was wondering if anyone found out the reason as to why we are getting warm spots. Two days ago it felt like someone spilt hot water on my right leg from my knee to my ankle. I have one varicose vien from  my second pregancy and was wondering if that may be the culprit. I am 27 in exercise regularly.
According to web md(because the symptom is pretty general) the problem could be a drug reaction, high blood pressure, diabetic ketoacidosis. or hypothyroidism.

It could be nothing or it could be something. I would start monitoring everything you do throughout the next week or so. Note anything and everything you do. Even something as simple as going outside to check the mail. Especially if the heat spots happen shortly there after. Then I would take all this info with you to the doctor and explain your concern.

I hope this helps.
just started getting hot spots on my left hip.  i haven't ingested caffine in any form for about 30 years, but i started drinking yerba mate' for a bit of an energy boost for my job. (mate' has about 1/6 the amount of caffine as a cup of coffee). so my thought is that it might be from this new ingestion of, even this small amount of caffine.  i usually feel the heat several minutes after i drink some of the mate'.  hope that helps some of you
im 23 yrs old no children, never been extremely unhealthy or been to hospital. i have had a very moody right shin where there is a hot spot between the knee and ankle. it comes and goes. its not painful at all and i cant see any difference just a "hot" spot! its like the size of a 50 cent piece. im a hairdresser so im on my feet 9 hours a day sometimes i even have lunch standing up! does that have anything to do with it? im guessing blood flow/circulation
hey all, i just found out from my doctor what it is.. it may be different to you than it is to me but these "hot spots" are all caused by low blood circulation. my doctor said to me that i havent elevated my legs enough evenly and rested them enough. even if you sit down and cross your legs or sitting on the floor for long periods of time are all ways of getting these hot spots.
talk to your own individual doctor for accurate explanaqtions as we all have obviously created low blood flow in our legs in different ways.
i hope this has helped :)
I just recently started experiencing hot spots on the back of my left thigh.  We went to Bristol the weekend before to watch the races.  Spent a lot of time walking, sitting in cramped seats, and standing in one place.  Low blood circulation seems to fit.

Emily
I just started having these hotspots on my left thigh two weeks ago at the same time I started working out with  a trainer so I thought maybe it was a blood circulating thing. I asked my physical therapist and she said it is a nerve flare up which when happening on the thigh is related to  the second lumbar  vertebrae  so she said for me not  to arch my back too much??That is all I know.. it sure is  strange feeling like  having something hot and wet all of a sudden appear out of nowhere. Good thing it is not painful.
I too have been having them for a few weeks, in my left upper thigh.  I was soo  worried it was a blood clot or something bad but now im think that it maybe just poor blood flow.  I used to be on my feet for 10 hrs a day and now im a stay at home mom so i dont stand very long at all and now im gettin them so maybe it has something to do with sitting for too long?  Im goin back to work in a couple of weeks if it dont go away then im gonna make a dr app.  Thanks to everyone.
I too have started having hot spots, 6 or so in the last 3 days now. Mine are in my right let about the size of the center of your hand.  I've been taking 5 drops of Grapeseed Extract aday for the last 8 weeks and just the last 4 days went to 10drops  aday.  I wonder if the could have anything to do with it.  
This is the most hilarious conversation!!  Are we all paranoid or WHAT!!    Here I thought I'd be laughed at googling it, but it's impossible to ignore that it's happening!  I'm also a 41 yr old mother of 2 and just started having these symptoms in my left outer calf about 2 month ago or so.  The muscle/calcium thing seems to make sense since we all no matter where on our bodies we're experiencing it is a place of muscle.  I'm also glad I'm not going nuts!!  Thanks for the input from you all, I do feel better now.  :)
Everyone here has hotspots on their legs... today I started having them, but on my side. I have a 3 month old son and am 21 yrs old. I have average activity. Im not a couch potatoe but I don't exercise much either. I had a c-section and am starting to wonder if it could be at all related to that.
If this is persistent in your lower leg, get it checked, it could be a blood clot, better to be safe than sorry, especially women taking birth control pills which increases chances of this occurring.
i'm a 47 year old female.  i walk regularly as i have an active dog, a paper route as i have two kids, i do yoga and have just started exercising with kettlebells about 2 months ago.  my legs have been feeling very sore lately and i have had to slow down on the walking.  i am also a celiac and do not eat wheat.  i have been looking on the internet a lot and decided to try taking out dairy as there are those who think we don't need it.  i have added it back but not only are my legs still sore but now i have the hot spot you have all been discribing on the right side of my calf.
Any thought on diet in the group?
Gp's have no clue when it comes to skin problems. Creams don't work either. I've been through the mill and still have skin issues. I believe it's mostly hormonal, since it seems to occur mostly after having a baby or around menopause. If it's causing a problem the best relief is applying ice in a wash cloth to the area, particularly after a hot shower or bath. Another important thing is to have a healthy and greaseless diet. I've found that alcohol exacerbates the problem so best to steer clear.
I have been getting them in my left butt cheek and now the bottom of my left foot. No idea why. I'm a 51 yo otherwise healthy male.
About two weeks ago I began feeling a hot spot on the left side of my right palm.  It feels like a burst of heat and it lasts for about 10-20 seconds and dissipates.  Odd
Dear all,

I also feel the heat (knee-area, left leg), but it seems more frequent with me. Started this morning and have it allready a few hours. The thing is that the hot-spots pop up EVERY 7 SECONDS!

I'm 23, normal weight, no medication, never had cancer or such, ...

I had these before (started 1 year ago) but then it was about once a day or so. Now i'm getting a bit worried. Is there anyone that can accually give an answer to all of these questions? Why doesn't a specialist give some info? Damn it's annoying!

Hoping for fast respons
I get them on my upper left thigh a few times a day.  I'm 8 wks pregnant and have a 3.5 yr old.  I almost panicked thinking it was blood the first time it happened last week.  It's a very hot, but not burning feeling that lasts about a minute.  I have my first prenatal appointment in a couple weeks so I'm gonna ask about it there.
Okay, so I'm not going crazy.  I'm 27, female, exercise regularly (mostly running) especially in the last few months, don't have kids, don't eat much meat, am on no medications, take my vitamins regularly, and consider myself fairly healthy, etc.

I just started getting a "hot spot" on the top left side of my RIGHT foot about a week ago.  Like many others here have described, it will get really hot for maybe 10 seconds, the skin temperature and color don't show anything different is happening, and then the heat slowly fades.  This happens maybe 5+/- times a day.
I am also having hot spots on my leg, but mine is on the right inside lower leg/calf area.  Same thing as everyone else is saying....it just came on randomly over the last few days to the point I reached down to touch it to make sure something hadn't bitten more or hot water somehow dripped on me.  I am surprised to see all these responses.  I am a 41 year old female,  non-smoker, relatively active, not a big drinker and don't have any little kids and I don't get on the floor/carpet much.  Do have high blood pressure and did just start taking a statin med for cholesterol.  Maybe that has something to do with it?  Very odd though regardless.  Good luck to all to figure out what is going on with all of us!
Im so relieved im not the only one! I was beginning to think it was becoming a psychological issue as If I was bringing them on by thinking too much about it!lol

For the past month, I have been having a warm feeling on my upper right thigh.  It happens every couple of hours and lasts for approx 5 seconds.

I work in the medical industry and I presume if I were to see a GP about it, they would most probably refer me onto a nerve specialist.  

Its not interfering with my daily life at all its just that its starting to become annoying since I have I am a fit 32 year old F with no allergies and am on no medication and have no medical conditions and then all of a sudden, it feels like ive pee'd myself several times throughout the day!lol
I have heat spots too. However, I have them in many places at different times. Mostly I have it on my forearm and it is the size of a half dollar. You can feel the temperature difference.  I also get sudden sensations like something really cold dripped on my leg. I go to wipe my leg and nothing is there. I am at a loss as to why all this is happening.  
My wife is going through the same thing...hers triggered when she started taking minerals for another issue.  So the Calcium build up therory makes perfect sense.  Ironic that it is mostly in the same outside left calf muscle...hmm...so too much calcium appears to the the cause.
wow so crazy-- been awhile since anyone has posted on here- but thought I google this issue. I am a physical therapy assistant and massage therapist. that had been taking extra calcium for about 2 months now .  I have been having these heat spots for about a week now driving me nuts. I feel the extra calcium may be the issue- it has nowhere else to go when muscles have enuf. (left leg) of course- lol
My hot spots come inn different parts of my leg.upper thigh and lower calf- as well as above the knee.
I am going to lower my calcium intake to see what happens.
I'm experiencing the same exact thing as everyone else in this post, doesn't anyone have the answer?
This is crazy! I have been experiencing the "hot spot" on my lower right leg by my calf muscle. The first time I had this experience was about 3 years ago. I was 25 and worked on my feet all day. I was not overweight at the time. I went to the doctor, concerned about a blood clot, and they said nothing was wrong but if a red line appeared, I should be seen right away. The feeling just kind of disappeared after about a month. All of the sudden today, I got the exact same feeling in the exact same spot. I have felt it 5 or 6 times throughout the day. I am now 28, overweight, and sit at a desk all day. I also have a 1 year old. It makes me feel better to know that other people have these weird sensations too! I guess I won't worry about it.
on yahoo there is a Medical Name for this
Caused by restriction,, like tight pants
I had hot spot for first time in my life on top right thigh.
49 years old in good shape
I just happen to have on one then strechy waist bands, to sweat and lose weight in my waist.
Yahoo said it might take days to go away,,My wife found it on yahoo and told me over phone,,why i do not know the medical name.
I hope beer will fix it :)
wtf.......i have the SAME exact problem. It happens on both upper - outer thighs and covers most of my leg above my knee before it stops. like some of you others, a couple of times i thought i pissed myself. it doesnt hurt but it is kinda ****** to go through. couldnt find any scientific info on it tho. fml
21 yr old male btw sorry to double post
im 15 and i just randomly get this hot spot right under my right foot. its soooo weird. im a little freaked right now but its not painful at all.
Bizarre - sounds like this isn't life threatening - THANK GOD....my "hot spot" started on my left shin it has worked its way around may leg - moved to my right leg is not back to my ankle on my left foot - i think its either nerve related (legs bent from sitting @ computer) or an itty bitty critter moving about...weird...
I have been having the same thing, a hot spot on my right shin all week a few times a day, it warms up for a few seconds and then cools down.  As one user mentioned I did get a chiropractic adjustment at the begining of the week and it did start shortly after so its interesting .....I had not made that connection.  I do remember having it prior in my life in the same spot and it just went away.  I am also a dancer and suspect a stress fracture on my foot on that same leg, I am going to the orthopedist on monday, maybe he will know?
Thought I was going mad!! Felt a hot patch on my lower left calf, several times over the last two days. Nothing to see and normal to touch. Did walk a lot yesterday and up a very big hill. Glad to hear I am not alone and seems fairly normal!!!
I'm a 29 an have 4 kids I'm getting the same thing but its on my left butt cheek I don't know what's going on it just feels warm an only last for a few seconds I get it all day long
I am getting these hot spots on my left leg too, did anyone find out what is causing this, if so why is it happening
I have three kids never had hot spots intell i had my third child and i was changing his diaper and got a really warm feeling thought he peed on me but it was in my left thigh on the back side, and i get the at least twice or more a day now, anyone find out the answer to what it is yet?
I get them too.  I am mildly allergic to laundry detergent so I thought it was that.  But I've noticed a difference in reactions when the hot spot happens it doesn't itch and I don't flare up anywhere else but my legs.  When I break out because of soap I'll itch like crazy.   I'm 24 now but this has been going on since middle school.  One minute I remember playing basketball and the next a very worried PE teacher was sending me to the nurse.  Who called my mom to ask her if I had allergies to anything.  I'm guessing she couldn't figure it out either.  Hm.
When I was in high school I started getting large red hot spots right above my knees randomly. People kept insisting I must of been crossing my legs but I don't cross my legs and it would happen randomly at any time, I could be sitting laying or standing. Sometimes they get so hot that they have a burning sensation. A couple years later it started happening to my ears as well. Withen the past year it started happening to the tops of my feet *** well. If I continue to stand on them it gets hotter and redder. I've told my doctor but she didnt have anything to say about it.  There never seems to be a common factor that makes it happen, it usually happens right above my knees  in a circular shape that is about four inches wide.
I'm 33 years old and have a two month old baby. The hot spots are on my left leg on the outside of my thigh and calf. They are about the size of my palm and I have no other symptoms.  They started when I started working out at home in the hopes of loosing weight.
I am 37 weeks Pregnant and have got a red hot rash growing on the front of my leg. It hurts to touch and I can't cool it down. Its making walking tricky. Don't know if it is the same thing as in these posts?
Why
Oops... hi... yup. Stumbled in too everyone.

K. 33y female, no kids. Hairstylist. Sore legs ~2 yrs ago. Got klogz shoes. Computer and smart phone TOO MUCH. Have a bad problem with not getting up in morning.  MAJOR problem with that. STRESS at high alert (always!lol) and I can sometimes smell my blood pressure ... queen of rant and vile. ;))
Last December I got shingles (a stress induced viral infection). Due to no insurance (cue boiling of stress water), I looked up on webs and scored steroid cream from mom in law. My mouth watered, and eventually the pain (and red bite marks in hot spot) cleared. On web (which is scary to venture lol!) They said under skin shingles.  Nerves.
I quit drinking almost 2 months ago. Pretty much cold Turkey.  Replaced with Perrier and or pelligrino. (I know! So fancy!) Calcium. Also jacked up my smoking, to be cool and social ...
*self diagnosing alert!*
I dont think shingles. That **** nasty. Woosh!

I think too much calcium, cigarette champ, hairdresser who stresses about working out, instead of working out is to blame. Any suggestions for food to flush that ******* outta me?   Most importantly -- how does one turn off, before 2am!, and not bully oneself to sleep "a few more minutes."  Seriously, I think,  reading all of these posts!, we all need behavioral excersises.  Just to eliviate stress. Take care everybody.  Really. Thank u.
Also!! I am going to give my 2 wks at my part-time waitress gig. Its just once a week, but standing for 7hrs straight. Nocandoanymore, mista! Yayyyy!! I can feel my blood pressure steam away. Xxoo. THANK U. get right!
I too have just started experiencing warm spots on my legs. It feels weird...all of a sudden there is a warm sensation that moves along my legs. I am a healthy 46 year old female. I am very active. Just got on here to try to figure this out, and was surprised at how many others are experiencing the same thing.
47 hot spot on left back of thigh. Really would like to know why? It is really annoying coming on all day. If I have a blocked vein or blood clot it would be nice to know before I die. I am diabetic and stand on my feet 9 hrs a day. My legs always hurt normally without the new hot spot. I do eat a lot of cheese because I craved it all the time in the last year. maybe the calcium? Hopefully someone will find the answer.
i am 33 ,6 feet 6 inches ,93kgs and live vic au
i too am getting these strange heat sensations on my left thigh, no marks, no pain, just heat for a while. I smoke weed and drink a couple of cans a night but do consider myself healthy. i live by the ocean, work as a gardener, take my two dogs walking every night, surf etc etc. surely someone must know what this is and what is causing it
Attention people i know exactly how to treat this heat spot....i jus turnd 18 n have it in my right back thigh feels like u was playing with a lighter n your back pocket dnt burn just driving you crazy well i think the problem is a nerve problem in the mind content off of stress which clogs muscles n vains arent getting what they need to function not a fact just a guess...but the answer to ne nerve problem is clinically proven to be marjuana...i had smoked weed with my friends it happend for awhile then as the 3rd tyme we smoked well i completly forgot about it not because i was high it because i was calm...days went pass actually a month or two n it just came back not a cure but its a break till we no were to start ..not a joke only get sumthing strong enough to relax every muslce n your mind
I am female, 46 and have been experiencing hotspots,mostly on my legs and feet but also elsewhere since at least the age of 20. They are small in area but can be very intense. I can liken it to being slowly burned by a cigarette; I ignored what I thought was another hotspot but turned out to be a lit cigarette on which I was standing barefoot! The sensations come and go,lasting 10-20secs as a rule. I think mostly they are not painful and I have never seen any markings.
I have very low blood pressure, poor circulation and my heart misses a beat now and then. My weight and fitness have fluctuated so much that I'm not sure it is relevant, to myself anyway. I have smoked since the age of 17.
I had never bothered mentioning it to anyone until this week. I have also had slow shooting down my limbs since I was a teenager, tho this may be unrelated. It has been suggested I visit the doctor! On my way...
Interesting list here - good luck, all :D
I think we may be on to something!!! I’m 24, fairly healthy, always been active; however, one thing for sure is I have always been overly stressed most of my life. I have the same symptoms; it starts in my lower right leg and the heat sensation last about 10-15 sec at first. Its’ been happening for about 2 weeks now, and now the heat seems to be lasting longer sometimes. It also seems to alternate legs but mostly it’s my lower right leg.  I went to see my urologist (non-related issue) and there were signs that I may have some nerve problems. This is crazy, I am experience the same symptoms as the rest of you.
I don’t know about the marijuana idea but I’m definitely going back to the doctor for more tests. I’ll let you know what I find out!
I, too, have the heat sensation on my right front shin.  Happens maybe 5 times a week.  I am 52, female, 3 kids, 6 grandkids.  I have gone through 3 cancer surgeries, Ovarian, Lymph Nodes and currently have Pancreatic Cancer.  i don't think that has anything to do with these "Hot Spots".  2 or 3 months ago, my knees also, started getting terribly painful, hard to walk, climb stairs, etc.  Seems like all this started about the same time.
I am 52 and about a year ago had a flush of heat on my left shin area size of a palm area.   It flushes with heat off on and on thru' the day.  Then will stop for months and come back off and on.  No one seems to know cause. I am taking calcium and maybe that is the problem (to much)....been in car accidents (as a passenger) and may have nerve damage.  I am trying B12 as someone mentioned in this forum.  Let you know if it works.  Someone figure this out.
I am 31, and about 2 weeks ago I started to get this "hot spot" on the top of my right food, above my toes. It started off once a day and now, now it doesn't stop, almost like it is getting worse. It's not painful, just weird having this feeling on a certain part of your body that heats up for a couple of seconds and then just disappears and suddenly reappears within a couple of minutes. So what kind of doctor would one recommend to have this checked out, since that no one can give us answers, a dermatologist, a neurologist what?

Oh yes, this started last night, I get this slight case of needles and pins in my whole foot and up my leg.
I am a 56yo female a bit overweight, hypothyroid, type 2 diabetes, slightly elevated blood pressure. I take prescription meds for the above health issues, plus a daily multivitamin and joint supplements. Lost my husband last July to throat cancer after a nearly two year battle.  I work full time , plus trying to keep the family business going. I am on my feet all day 4 days a week cashiering and drive making deliveries 2 days a week for up to 10 hours on the road each day.  I would say my stress level is high. I recently started horseback riding again after about 25 years.

About a month ago while standing at the counter I felt a sudden warm flush on my mid left thigh front.  Felt like warm water spreading across my jeans.  Thought I had peed myself, too!  Then just like that it was gone.  Now it happens a few times a day.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.  This is on my list of things to ask about!  I will post again after my discussion with her.
Saw the Dr today.  She says it is related to lower back nerve pressure.  I do have issues with my lower back and sciatic.  I'm to take Aleve twice a day for a month to see if it helps, I may need an MRI as Xrays don't show enough.

So there ya have it!
I'm 15 and I just recently started to get random warm sensations from my lower shin to my foot. I really thought I'd spilled something on myself! So strange.
I am 29 Years Old 6 ft 240 LBS and have the same exact symptoms. Same right top of the shin area, last for a couple seconds, and then its gone! Someone let us know what the hells going on I am Freekin out!!
I have recently started experiencing the same thing on my inner left thigh, like a lot of you I thought I had spilled something hot on myself! These sensations have started occurring since I took a long haul flight with which my legs swelled up to twice the size and stayed that way for days! my legs have been aching since and I have been getting these warm spots. WebMd seems to point towards blood-clots or DVT...worrying, I'm only 26! I think I may pay the doctor a visit soon!
So far the Aleve has made no difference.  Still experiencing the sensation several times a day.  No better, no worse.
I am 21 and I have no kids and the spot is on the back of my left thigh. It happens multiple times randomly throughout the day. Not painful just warm like I leaned up against the oven at work or something, then its gone. Does anyone think it may be nerves in our backs damaged or something?
I have this odd symptom, too.  I'm guessing it has something to do with either a reaction to caffiene or a seasonal allergy.  I'm expecting it will just go away.  Warm spots are on my right lower leg.  I am 50, F, and very healthy and active.
I've been taking the Aleve for nearly a month now and the symptoms have nearly disappeared!  I was experiencing that hot flush in my thigh several times a day and now it's only a couple of times a week.  My back also feels better, but the Sciatica remains.
My wife says its the holy spirit! Is anyone involved with the church or very religious?
I am 35 and recently I have been experiencing hot patches on my left leg. It started mainly on the outer calf and feels like someone has suddenly pressed a hot water bottle up against me and then after a second or two it disappears. I did the norm and googled it and came up with blood clots etc. It has now moved to my left knee and am guessing clots dont move that quick around the body so I am hoping its absolutely nothing. I am so glad I found this site and realise I am not alone!!!
Exactly the same - temporary hot spots on my left leg just left of shin with no external signs.  I also have nerve damage in my groin and take amitripyline for this.  I strongly suspect this is related to that nerve damage. Nerve damage is a bit of an enigma in the medical community however it is known to just fizzle out so crossed fingers for all of us.
I just started to experience this last week.  Mainly my right leg.  A heat sensation that comes out of no-where, last a few seconds and then *poof* it's gone.  Reading all of these comments, I'm not as concerned, but do have an appointment with my fam doc.  I have noticed that it starts to happen after I've eaten/drank dairy.  The other night I had some ice-cream, and by the time I went to bed, my legs felt like they were on fire!  I woke up the next morning, and no problems.  I do think it has something to do with dairy.
I am 42 yrs old lost lots of the weight over the last 4 years,very active until plagued with pain of numerous sorts from sciatica to tendenitus of upper rotary cuff ect in the last week i have started having a warmth in my right leg that radiates down to my toes on same leg and kinda a bit like butterflies sensation too!!It happens on and off all day no particular time i could be sitting standing walking laying it doesnt seem to matter!!I The same leg has also been shaking when i exercise get nervous sometimes for no reason and have had this for 2 years now after i was doing kick boxing with same leg!!Im wondering if the back problem ie sciatica and the shaking and now the warmth is all linked???I am also on anti-depressants and have gone from 22 hours a week in the gym to 4 cos i just have no energy yet i go to bed and i cant sleep....... HELP!
I'm a 43 year old teacher of 15 years and no biological children, but recently adopted 5 kids at once...(nope, not crazy...just a blessing from God) Anyways, the weather here has gotten summer like hot already and last Friday as I went to my car after school, I noticed the seat was rather hot from the sun, so I tolerated it and drove home; however, as I went along our daily commute, I noticed my back right thigh was getting hotter and hotter, but not so much at all on the left side at all. I even thought maybe my winter heated seat button had gotten turned on accidentally...but nope not the case. So I brushed it off again...but in the days that have followed, I have noticed daily the same heating up sensation in the same area. It's the feeling you get when someone sneaks up and puts a lighter to you jeans without you realizing it like folks did in their teens etc. just a sudden hotness that seems to linger. Anyways, I "googled"  "sudden hot sensations in legs" and found this site. Seems I'm not the only one dealing with this unusual sensation. Pondering if I should see a doctor or not... thinking the marijuana thing sounded FUN...but that's not me...lol...but a bit concerned hearing folks mention "blood clots."  Any thoughts replied to this would greatly be appreciated. :) Thanks.
I went to my doctors yesterday with it as now i have like butterflys in my leg too and it keeps giving way on me and feels like jelly ect!!She seems to think its something to do with my back and is sending me to see a nuerologist.I would say go to your doctor hun ya can never be too sure!!Im quite scared to be honest.....
I starting noticing warm spots in my upper thigh of my left leg, it has been happening in the last few weeks, I related it to my mobile phone in my back pocket, however i have really noticed it happening often during the past few days.  I am an active 45 year old with kids, I am happy healthy, I have a good diet, enjoy a few beers over the week and a few more over the weekends, I drink plenty of water and train with a personal trainer 2 times a week.  I have a stressful job but can't understand how much it has increased in the past week.  It does not hurt nor is uncomfortable.  Good to read that I am not alone.  I have had a sore back for the past week or so, I feel this may have contributed to this strange manifestation.  Thanks for posting everyone it is good to know I am not alone.
Ive been having the same hot spot sensations on my right leg for a few months now, related it to my mobile phone but started happening without a phone. Its normal on my front upper thigh but just now i had the same warm sensation on my right ankle. Warm feeling spreading out over my leg, no pain, no outward rash or blemish, no problem, just strange. Im a fit active 35 year old male.
I do suffer terribly with prickley heat over my back, neck and chest. Im a hot person and dont normaly need much more than a t-shirt in most weather.
Prickley heat is terribley painfull and when i feel the onset i have to remove layers of cloths fairly quickly to aleviate the symptoms. It normal comes about if ive been sweating a lot and doing lots of physical activity and i have layers of cloths on. Unfortunatly my job involves lots of heavy lifting and exerting myself, hence why im always working in a t-shirt most of the year.
I have never heard of this and now it's happening to me .......everyone thinks I'm crazY.......till it happened and they could feel the heat .......mine is my right calf.. I am 48 and I do hair so I am on my feet all day ....I smoke but not a drinker or any drugs .......I am I heavy ice tea drinker ....someone at my work told me to have it check by a doctor. She said that the last person who told her about it found out she had cancer.......don't know if there linked or what but I am not taking the chance......thanks everyone for not making me feel crazy .......I am so glad someone else is feeling the same thing as me ........it's happening now as I type ......
I'm glad to have found these posts, too. Mine started about 2 years ago with a hot spot about the size of a quarter on the underside in the middle of my right breast. Now I'm still having them there and have begun having the larger areas of hot spots on the outside of my left thigh. I asked my doctor about it and his response was that maybe some of my clothes were too tight! That is nonsense. I have them even when I'm wearing my nightgown or very loose fitting pajamas, and I don't wear tight fitting clothes anytime. I'm 61 years old, and take meds for hypertension and arthritis. I've had both my knees replaced within the past year. I do take vitamin supplements daily, so may need to cut back on them. I think I'm going to try the Aleve treatment and see if that helps. Thanks to all of you for your posts - at least now I don't think I'm just nuts :)
Hi i posted on here about a month ago about a heat spot that started on my right leg,thought id give you an update!Within 12 hours of the heat spot i had a desensitised leg and this spread up to my buttocks!I decided to go to docs who said i needed to see a neurologist,things got worse i went back to docs 3 days later!I was sent for an emergency appointment with the neurologist within  hours i was admitted to hospital!They found i had popped 2 discs out of my top spine which were pressing on my spinal cord this had caused the probs!If i wasnt operated on i would end up paralised for deffinate,the op could do that too but the risks were less!less than 12 hours later i was operated on!THey have said there is no gaurantee i will get full use of my leg back the main idea of the op was to stop anymore damage!I have also lost full use of my right hand now (its very painful to use it) through nerve damage during the op but this is a small price to pay if i have full use of my legs but we will see!Just wanted to fill you all in so that hopefully i can help someone else!!!
It is definitely NOT hormonal.  I'm a 72-year-old man, and only since the appearance of arthritis throughout my body, I've been experiencing "hot spots" in right hip, both ankles, both shoulders, and most recently the left elbow.

Hope that helps.

C.C. in Prescott, AZ
Read all these comments as I have just started getting hot spot. also suffer with nerve problems and had under the skin blood clots in both legs not DVT.so thinking either poor blood circulation or nerves having a flare up.
I started having hot spots today in my left upper thigh.  I am 54 years old and in fairly good health.  I work at a job that keeps me at a computer all day.  I am fairly active but not lately.  I have had breast cancer but am currently cancer free.  I have recently had some lower back pain that has been getting worse.  I don't smoke and only drink occasionally.  The hot spots are only internal.  I can't feel warmth when I touch my leg with my hand.  The heat  comes and goes every minute or so.  It is not painful.
So if we all have the same symptoms why isn't there a common answer? So weird but I am glad for the posting. I was thinking blood clot, doesn't sound like that's the answer. Calcium answer sounds odd. I have lower back problems and I am also a hairdresser. I stand all day and stay in the same place a lot. I run 3 miles a day, I don't smoke. I drink a tad to much. I eat healthy and I seem to be getting them more frequently. started in my thigh ( always right leg)When it first started out of the blue, it was in my inner thigh, that night I noticed the whole side of my genital area  swollen 10 times the normal size, scared me a lot but the swelling went down after a couple days, I still get the hot spots but swelling hasnt happened since. and now is mostly on the inside of my shin. today, at least every 5 to 10 min. if not every min. ugh. wish we all could find an answer.
I have been experiencing these symptoms for a week now, but it is on my left forearm. Same spot each time. It feels like warm air is on the spot or like a heating pad. At first I thought it was from holding my iPad, but it happens when doing other things. Sometimes it itches, but I think that's just from the increased blood flow. I am 37 yr old female, no kids, fairly active, and have thyroid issues. Anyone else have it on the arms?
The muscles are being pressed upon or are ferry tense when the tension or v pressure is being released heat can be felt.it's not a big deal most of the time.I have been studying this phenomena of the body for yrs in acupressure and Massage therapy.
Hi im Mike

I'am 48 yrs old and I have these hot spots all the time. It first started on my right  chin, my first thought was warm blood running down my leg. I pulled my pant leg up and nothing there, since then it has moved up my leg to the back of my thigh and has also moved up on my jaw line all on the right side. This is all to new just to be blood clots or calcium. There is more to it to be so many having the same symtoms (symptoms). I have talked to my doc about this he has no idea what to make of it. If this is the case then there is something we all have in common. maybe food related ?????
Thank you for all your comments its great to know that there are many others experiencing these weird hot spots that fade.  I think I like the calcium theory, and the cold one also makes sense.  I have experienced them for four days now.  I had started running again and it makes sense that it has something to do with tense muscles.
Wow.. I am a 36 yr old mother of two and just recently statrted having this burning in my right leg on between my knee and calf. I have been told several things by others... maybe a blood clot, maybe fluid in the leg etc. I know one thing it is very very bothersome. It is so amazing that so many people suffer from the same thing. Praying that we all get relife from this and soon!
I have read all of these and am astonished at how many people have the same symptoms. I am a Naturopath and the same thing happens to me. I have access to live blood work which means I get to see my cells on a computer screen and we can see the abnormalities straight away. I believe it is a B12 deficiency. This can effect your whole neurological system and considering legs are the hardest to get circulation to it makes sense that legs are going to be affected first. If the nerves are affected then the other reason that a few people have identified would also possibly be correct,"the calcium spark". The thing is doctors will generally do blood tests and say you don't have a problem etc. Perhaps you were within their reference range but this does not mean a lot. The doctors are looking for disease and a few (or a lot) are not really considered a disease by any stretch so of course you don't have that but you may have a deficiency in B12. I now need to take 4-5 B12 sublingual tablets a day (they are 1000mcg each) and it helps a lot, as well as my cognition and energy levels. I experienced 2 major stressful events about 4 months ago and this is when my hot spots flared up. Stress is well known to deplete you of B12. B12 needs intrinsic factor in the gut to be absorbed and a lot of people who have poor intrinsic factor/poor B12 have very average digestion (wind, bloating?) if so making up a herb mix to increase stomach acid is very important - like sweedish bitters, taking some of that before every meal will help a lot for many reasons, you will need to take it properly for the rest of your life, same as B12 (if life is cruising a long perhaps it is only 3 tabs a week as opposed to 5 a day!!!) I hope this helps
Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I have a hot spot on my left knee over the knee cap an area that rarely gets warm.  Can have several flares an hour, lasting 1 to 5 min..  skin cool withmo discoloration.  Onset 4 to 5 days ago. Happens in any position. Quite uncomfortable and discomfitting.
65 yo, excellent health, sit for long periods working but bike up a steep hill 3x per week and rump (run w/ jump rope) at least 1 mile.  Leg strength better than Ave.  Have got - under control. Take blood thinner (clot unlikely) - prophylactic unrelated to prior event.  Have also been taking Boswellia as anti-inflam for ribs bruised surfing, bu was taking for weeks before onset - not likely suspect
From your posts, I have resolved to see neuro and try some b12
I am male, 50, in good shape, no drinking smoaking and eat ok, but I did just started to jog again after a year off. For the first time ever, this past week I felt quarter size hot spots on upper left leg and butt in different places for a few seconds every 10 min or so for the past week. They usually come as I am sitting and surprise me so much I still look to see what hot thing I sat on.

They dont hurt or show but I havent done anyting new lately other than attempt to start running again.

Thought I coudnt find anyone else who ever had them. I can believe a vitiman deficiency or running that is messing with my nerves or even a side effect from the back pain I had from spring till end of summer this year. Dont know but it is better to know I'm not alone and it is not likely to be serious.
Mostly what I know is this: If you get to the right weight, exercise and live right not letting the stresses of life consume you... (meaning not let stuff stick to you meaning forgive and get on with life) you can avoid 95% of the PHYSICAL STUFF people go through.   Works for me.
To anyone who has had a warm to hot sensation flare up on their legs I have a question for you.  Have you or anyone in your family been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, if yes you should see a neurologist, if No I would still look up MS symptoms on the web and see if you might have experianced any of the other symptoms, especially if you have just had a child because women's MS symptoms seem to progress and worsen after childbirth.  I don't mean to alarm anyone but one of the reasons It is so hard to diagnose MS is because thier is no two same symptoms for all patients and it starts of with small symptoms such as this.  I hope this helps.  I am a 42 y/o male and my MS symptoms started as blurry vision in one eye that only lasted 2 months, I now know that it is called a flare up.
I too am surprised that there are so many of you who have experienced this. I'm 34 yrs. old and relatively healthy. Started experiencing this my right leg, at one spot on the upper leg, and now a larger spot on my lower leg that is almost the same 4"x4" section that my tattoo occupies, that I had done in 1997. About a year ago I had experienced some acute, spastic, and sharper pains in the thigh area that seemed like a deep, nerve pain of sort. Don't know if these two symptons are related? Good luck all with whatever it may be for us all.
What is it??  Random heat spots on left foot, right heel, right hand, left hand, lasting no more than a minute or so an coming back every so often..sometimes many times a day and sometimes none at all... What is it??
Right leg ... started on outside of my calf and now experiencing it in inner thigh and  back of thigh.  Feels like hot water on you in this area.  Few times per hour.  So weird.  Also have numb left pinkie and ring fingers that started about 2 months ago.  EEG found pinched nerve in wrist.  Probably unrelated?
I am so glad to read that others are having the same symptoms I'm having.  Mine started a little over a week ago.  Just random hot pots or wrm spots on my legs...mostly my calves.  They move around and seem to happen randomly.  I can't distinguish a pattern or tie the hot spots to anything I'm doing.  I don't see any red spots or anything else on the surface of my legs, but it gets really warm and then just goes away.  I have not been to a doctor, but have considered going because I can't find any pattern to it.  
i think it from laying on one side to much watching tv . try laying on the other side. your blood needs to floe your probably over weight. try losing a few pounds.
I also get this caused by sciatica due to a herniated disc. If you have any spine or back problems you might want to check that out. Pregnancy can cause this short term since your spine realigned to accommodate your child.
36 F, very active, no smoking...hot spots with no pain, feels like warm water poured over the area. left eyebrow is hot right now as I'm typing. used to just be on back of left thigh but now happens in face and ear. No pain, just warm patches/streaks that come and go.
I am an LMT as well and the hot spots are happening not only in my left thigh, but my left eyebrow (which yes, could be corrugator supercillii) but it's also happening in my entire left ear (which has no muscle tissue)...left eyelid and left cheek as well...so wondering if the pressed muscle theory applies
66 year old male.... good shape .....symptoms started about a month ago .... palm sized area - left inside upper thigh .... no pain ..... feels like warm water ... blooms and then goes away .... no redness or rash .... I have my spine adjusted regularly due to DDD both upper and lower spine .... will ask about it tomorrow when I go for my adjustment .... most frequent medical challenge is uric acid kidney stones every couple of years... anyone figure this out yet?
I really thought I was going to burn up from the inside out... I have been getting these hotspots in the back of my thighs for about two months. They are random but so warm that it scares me.  I do have back problems, so I think it might be related to pinched nerves or something. Just never felt so confused about what it could be. I will be going to have it checked out, so will post my doc's findings.
Thanks for all the info--I thought the doctor would think I was crazy and this hot sensation in the outer side of my right leg would just go away.  I have been experiencing this for about 5 days now--heat from the inside out.  Crazy feeling.  I am 56 and in good health.  I will try cutting back on my calcium.
I was disappointed to find the thread so old (2008) and happy to see yours.  Not happy you have it, but pleased to have found I'm not alone.  My hot spot started last week and happens every day for a while - so warm that it feels as though it's wet with hot water.  No pain, always left back/side thigh.  I have back problems and scaitica in that leg so thought it was that but was horribly worried it was a DVT. I do eat a LOT of almonds, but not that many.  As a ethical vegan who doesn't eat a lot of soy, I would think my calcium intake is low (perhaps 500 mg on a good day?)
I'm a 24 year-old black African-British male, and all last weekend I was having these same warm patches under my left thigh (just before my thigh joins my butt), while I was up in the north of England visiting my friends. I drive nearly every day (left foot accelerator and automatic - not a related condition but I use my left leg for the gas and the brake) but that weekend I took the train so had a weekend off from driving.
They stopped once I got back to London but half a week later, I broke out in serious shivers, fatigue (though I'm really bad with getting proper sleep), a fever, and possibly a code sore on my lip. :-(
Don't know if it's related but anyone have any clue?